Hunting coyotes over bait

Rlight

Was wondering if any one could tell me the best times are to hunt coyotes over bait kinda new at this game always tried callin never tried baitin them got to 55 gallon drums of deer carcasses I put out this past monday went up on wed nothin touched them Went out to hunt them this morning tracks everywhere and most of the one pile of carcasses were gone just wonderin if anyone has some insight on when to watch the bait. any advise would be a big help.

It's pretty hard to guess when they would come in. They will most likely clean you out pretty fast though if you don't have the bait secured down in some way.

You could try putting out a game camera to see if they are comming in around the same time, but you would probibly need a good supply of bait to do this????

The night would prolly be best, but I hope you have a lot of time on your hands. The most succesful bait hunters I know would place their bait behind their houses (rural areas) and have sensors that would alert them inside the house.

I have several game cameras on my property to monitor the wildlife that passes through and have found that the visit schedule of the Coyote is the most erratic.

As mentioned above, they can come at any time and may skip several days, even when food is still available at the camera site.

I think it is definetly worth a try and your Coyotes may be a little more trainable than mine.

IMG_0790.jpg

Check your PM

I harvest most of my coyotes about 2.5 hrs after dark. Try using a bear baiting type of site, put out a small pile every day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info I knew these dogs were hitting the bait after dark hunted it in the morning and evening to no advail quess tonite i'll be sittin there till tomorrow morning see if that works. any one with any more info please feel free to post looking for all the help i can get .

I've been baiting yotes with no luck. I took a deer they killed and chained it to a tree. After about 3 days I seen some tracks and scat and they ate a ton of that deer. They always comes after its well dark.

there is another deer kill about a mile away and its pretty much bones now, they have been hitting that one hard, but Im pretty sure its well into the night.

I have killed a coyote over bait. The coyote came in at 5:30 PM, plenty of light to see and shoot. But I have also been skunked over bait. As I sat watching an active bait pile this year I knew the next time I did it I would use a tree stand /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Me and the bait were in the woods of PA with little light but lots of snow. Nothing came in that night /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gifbut I would have felt better equipped if I was in a tree stand looking down. Next time .......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif.

when i was a kid i sat with my mom and dad on a bait all night long . we were sitting on the other side of a railroad track looking downwind onto the bait .
we had a bounty on coyotes back then and we were poor . bad news for the yotes . my mom and dad killed 28 that night with a . 22 magnum . looking back im amazed at how much our scent must have been distorted by the bait . heck they never even picked their head up coming in .
My dad has a preconditioning yard and our deadpit sits out in the middle of a wheat field and back when i was ridin pens all day ive seen coyotes come in at all times .

the guys i have talked to that do it hunt from a pole stand (well established) or tree stand
many use some sort of night vision and are known to kill several at one site in the same night

guero

‘Hunting over bait’ is probably not the best term, and could be categorized, like everyone has indicated, as hit and miss at best.

‘Sniping an incidental coyote while on the bait’ probably would be a better term. Waiting over a dead critter for something to show up is about as interesting and productive as watching paint dry, IMO.

I have had better luck checking a dead carcass from a hidden vantage point from the downwind side and taking a shot at an unsuspecting coyote while he gets his breakfast or dinner meal.

If you have a good relationship with a farmer or rancher, get them to drag the carcass to a draw where you can approach stealthily and peek over a hill if possible.

Here in our part of Kansas, that is possible—some places it may not be.

Over the years we have taken quite a few coyotes that are feeding on dead cattle. The ranchers I know are pretty good about letting me know about the location of dead cattle when they know where one is. I have found quite a few carcasses on my own by spotting ravens and eagles off in the distance and then checking these birds out and seeing that they are on some beef. When I know where a beef carcass is I just try to check it out at first light or right before dark. Last deer season my son and I scared some ravens and eagles up into the air and saw some coyotes take off running from a little draw. We checked it out and found a fresh dead steer that was about completely ate up. About 3 hours later on our way out of a canyon we stopped short of the carcass and snuck up on it.
IMG_3731.jpg

IMG_3738.jpg

IMG_3741.jpg

IMG_3744.jpg

IMG_3750.jpg

IMG_3752.jpg

I would much rather call coyotes in but I do check out the carcass locations when I know where there at or when I find one.

I've killed coyotes at alot of different times off bait. Over christmas we jumped three around 9 am and dropped all 3 of them. Most of our success however has come at night. Definitely well into the night. We usually leave around 11 at night and have had good luck finding dogs on carcasses at this time and later on into the night.

we hunt them over bait at my buddies cattel farm. We will either get scraps for a butcher or local bones and then we fill them into a 5 gallon bucket and then fill with water and let freeze. If you dump that out they seem to love it for some reason. they cannot drag it off and in the MN winter months it aint gonna thaw!

We sit in the barn office and play cards and shoot the breeze and check with a spot light every so often.

Most will say and I agree that this is not hunting. It is removing some large numbers for the cattle feilds though.

over 20 on this method this winter.

Back