Mountain VIEW cur's superiority

Thumper333

Hey Guy's,
I would also like to get a Mt. Cur and really liked the strict breeding codes of the Mt. View Cur line. I was just curious if the mountain view line is that much better?
Thanks,
Travis Engle

I have a female from the Mt.View line, she is the best decoy dog for coyotes I have ever had. She will run cats and coons also. IMHO the Mt. View line is one of the best.

Last edited:
The Mnt Curs are sure good, but how can all the guys running other breeds of decoy dogs, many killin a few hundred yotes a year be wrong?
Don't get me wrong the Mnt Cur is a good breed,(High level of hunt drive, and willingness to plese,good nose,and brains.) but so are many other breeds.If it wasn't for the "Doggin Coyotes Videos" How many guys would even know what a Mnt Cur is?
Its not only about the breed, but also the training that makes a great decoy dog.I wish everyone the best with whatever dog suits them,anyone that knows me,knows,I will help anyone any time. I just want everyone to keep an open mind, and realize its not just about breed.

Thanks Duane,
I've never seen the dogging coyotes videos just did a lot of reading and searching online. Found the mountain view cur association website and really liked what I was reading.

Thats fair, I'm sure what you read about the breed ,"made you want one" They are good dogs, no doubt. But any other web site for another breed will tell you they are the "only one". I don't care what you get for a "decoy dog". I know what works for me, and 125 to 150 yotes a year suits me.
My first decoy dog was a Blue heeler, I have killed 400+ yotes over him.The point is , as I said before "training is way more important than breed". I'm not tryin to pick a fight with anyone, and I can sell more pups than I can put on the ground,so it's not about me sellin my dogs.I just think that it is right for me to ask everyone to have an open mind. Duane

When I bought my Mt view cur I was looking for a standard Mt cur or kemmer cur (another Mt cur line) I was leaning towered these breeds for a family oriented hunter. I help work cattle on a couple of large ranches and know the black mouth cur or leopard cur are great stock/bay dogs. A breed of dog is not what makes it good at what it was intended for as Dune stated "training is way more important than the breed" I am no expert but have trained up some good dogs for myself and others. From what i have learned from my Mt view cur so far is that he wants to please and is willing to learn almost to the point that a good field bread lab is. He is almost to obedient and needs to gain a little more independence before i will feel more confident with him in the field. He is the cleanest dog i have had and is great with the family he will not run off when he is with my boys and will continually check to see if all of his family is safe. Perfect so far for what I do but if I strictly wanted a hunter I thing I would be happier with more independence, stubbornness, and more focused drive
Hope that helps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I agree with Duane on this one. (not that anyone cares who I agree with.. haha) We have a Leopard Cur that doesn't have a very cold nose, but she will trail a lion track so fast that the lion's don't know what to do when she comes flying up behind them and lets out a loud woof right in their face! She fits into our pack like a puzzle piece. We have 2 super cold nosed dry ground dogs that will cut work for hours and hours, lots of times trailing to a cross track or a kill and that's when Goose (leopard cur) takes over and it's game on! Open minded is good, but if you have no experience with any of them, you really have to just do your own research and make your own decision. Good luck with that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cheers,

Tyler

Tyler, That is the "reason", I have "Cur" blood in six out of my ten dogs.It works for me.
You make a good point that a guy just needs to "do the research and make up his own mind".

I hope I was not misunderstood with my reply to thumper333, as I said in that reply (Cur's are one of the best breeds.) I in no way meant that the cur is the only dog breed for decoying. Training is the key to making a good denning dog, but breed plays a big part in that as well. I have caught some flak over the years from other houndsmen about the doggin coyotes videos Duane@ssu is talking about.I helped make those videos and used my Cur's. Some guys think we only use Cur's but if You watch the frist video You will see a german shorthair and a wire hair, they worked fine but would play out before the day was done. The Cur's would go all day with gas left over. I do not den coyotes just for fun or to make videos, most of my dening is done to help ranchers with predation problems. I agree to research and pick the breed You think will work best for You. The bloodline thumper333 is talking about is a good line and I have dogs from that line. They are freindly to the wife and kids, well mannered to everyone. As for not being independent or foused enough to hunt well, I have never had any of them show sighns of that, but I do not train mine to work cows or other livestock as well. I have nothing agianst other breeds, Cur's work very good for me. Best of luck in finding a pup thumper333.

Grey Ghost, I like the "doggin yotes videos",I own both of them,and they were a great help to me when I started to "decoy with dogs".Just to get things strait for everyone, "I beleive that "Cur, or Cur Cross is the very best decoy dog". I have tried many breeds,(I have killed 400+ yotes over a Blue Heeler,he had no nose, and no voice)I switched to the Catahoullas,and this is what works for me. I will not say a "MNT,is better than a Kemmer, or that a Blackmouth is better than a Catahoulla,or that a Catahoulla is better than the others."
Over the years I have found all the "CURS" to be real close in traits,the difference being how they are trained.I get great results from my "cur blood", and it will be in my dogs as long as I run yotes.I just get "jazzed" when some one says a "whatever cur" is "the best".I have run them all on every thing from rats to lions, hogs, deer,yotes, bears, you name it if it lives here and has four legs I have probably run it.I have found so little difference in any of the curs that I will hunt any line because they all, "if they are hunted, they will run to catch, and fight till the end". I say "ALL THE CURS ARE GOOD,NO MATTER WHAT LINE,".
I'm willin to debate this with anyone. Duane

Aj, not being "short", but the difference is minimal, I have hunted them all, some were "good to great", and some are now "in the happy hunting ground."
The point is that the traits of the good "Curs" are so close that you would play [beeep] to find a diff, if two diff breeds of curs were trained the same.The biggest diff, would be size, and the next diff you would find is "teeth". Some breeds of curs "bay,or tree harder ,some breeds have full intent to catch and kill."For me I need teeth", and "BIG DOGS".My dogs kill yotes, and badgers, many times, "one out". But they are bigger than some guys like.
We all have to make our own choices, and as I have said many times I breed for the type of dog that works for me.

Back