Fast fox action last night

Yellowhammer

Staff member
Venatic was coming through town on his way to Mississippi, so we set up a hunt date for some night time calling. I had some business to attend to, so we didn't get started until about 9pm.

We agree to take turns running the light and shooting with 2 stands on the gun unless you shot something and then it was the others turn.

I was the first shooter, but after 2 dry stands, it was David's turn.

The 3rd produced a grey fox in minutes and when he jumped up on a downed tree and posed, David got him. He fell right there on the tree. Then a second came to within feet of the first but a loading ordeal cost him that one, and as he circled around we kept hopping to call him back with the fox distress. Then I spotted a bobcat sitting on a log about 70 yards back behind us the same way as the 2 fox had came. He turned just as David shot for a miss.

This is exactly how the fox fell when David shot him.

Davidtreefox3-09.jpg

That started a 6 fox in a row streak. We moved up the road about a 1/2 mile and within minutes had another fox.

5th stand, David's turn, same thing a fox in a couple of minutes, and had coyotes howling in the distance. So, at this point we had 5 stands and 4 fox and one bobcat called and 3 fox in the truck.

On the 6 stand, I had a fox come charging in, and every time he stopped he was behind a tree. Then as he was less than 15 yards I took a shot on the move, and I guess with the AR I was low. At the shot he squalled, did a few cartwheels, changed direction and started running back the way he came. We looked, but couldn't find him. That made 4 straight stands with a fox. Since I didn't get that one, David let me be the shooter again on the next stand, and big fox came charging in a again in just a couple of minutes.

So, that made 5 straight fox stands and 4 fox in the truck. We kept our 1/2 mile increment and tried it again. Near the 10 minute mark, I figured our streak would end at 5. Then I caught eyes down wind and at first David thought it was a coyote. But as he circled closer, we saw that it was another fox. He stopped for a shot, and we collected our 5 fox of the night.

We would occasionally hear coyotes howling, but none had showed themselves. It was my turn again for the 9th stand, and I broke the streak. Nothing showed up, so it was still my turn for the 10th stand. We were back in business. A hard charging fox came in, but we lost him behind a downed tree. We switched to fox distress, but no sign of him. Then we turned around, and there he was not 20 yards away. I was able to get a quick shot, and we had our six fox of the night. By this time our light was running low, and it was almost 4 am.

We tried one more spot near the river to try and get a coon or something, but nothing showed except a swamp rabbit and we called it a night.

Here are the 3 fox I got. I was shooting the 60 vmax and 2 of the fox had almost no damage. The third one left a nasty hole. David was shooting a .223 also and same thing. 2 had almost no damage, and one blew up on a shoulder. Not sure what bullets he was shooting.
3foxes3-09.jpg

Here was the whole night take

MeDavidfoxes3-09.jpg

When I left David at this hotel, it was a little after 5 am. I got home in time to skin the foxes, take a shower and head in to work. David got a few hours of sleep and then took off for Mississippi.

Overall, we had 11 stands 8 fox called 7 shot (one grazed and lost) and one bobcat missed. Only 4 dry stands out of 11 is very good for around here.

Jackrabbit, lightning jack and grey fox distress were the top sounds.

Last edited:
That sounds like a great night in my book /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif. Way to go guys and thanks for the pictures and story Sean /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif.

Wow that looks like fun. I think the night shooting in AZ would be awesome if we were allowed.
Sean I shoot the 55gr vmax and have had the same experience as you guys on those fox. If it is behind the front shoulder and away from bone it is usually a quarter size exit.
Way to go guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Good to see you're having a chance or two to get out Sean. Sounds like a fun outing and great pics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Sean I went out last night with a buddy here in Mississippi and we called 3 more foxes but he was shooting and he never got off a shot.They were to quick for him. By the way i was shooting 52gr Bergers.

Sounds like a lot of fun. You are stacking up the foxpro points this week also.
When you get back we'll go to a few fresh spots I've been scratching up.

Back