Mountain View Cur pups in Oregon?

Killforfood

Does anybody know of any Mountain View Cur pups in Oregon?
They don't seem to be the easiest breed to find locally.
My wife is trying to beat me to the punch with a Lab but my waterfowl days are over after watching Doggin for Coyotes and following Bubba the wonder dog I would really like to try my hand at decoying Coyotes.

Thanks, Joel.

Duane

Years ago I was fortunate enough to hunt with who I believed was one of the best Hound Hunters in Oregon.
We mainly hunted Bear but occasionally ran Cats as well. Sadly Oregon voted down hound hunting for Bear and Lion in 1994 and Kenny immediately moved out of state.
I miss it terribly.

We can still run Cats and Coons but after watching the Doggin Coyotes video and reading the antics of Bubba the wonder dog I’m anxious to try decoying Coyotes.

My Daughter has been begging for a puppy for two years straight.
I like what I’ve read about the Mountain View Cur line and think it’s about the closest thing to a dual purpose house pet decoy dog. I told her “When the Cats, Rabbits, Fish and the Gerbil die; you can get a dog but only if it’s a Mountain View Cur”.
Well the Gerbil, some of the fish and one of the Rabbits kicked it but the cats are dying awfully slowly, probably have another ten years left in them. My wife is pressuring me to take some Lab pups from a family at church and I’m having none of it.
If I could find something in the next couple months that would put them at about the right age to start them this Fall and Winter season.

I suppose they wouldn’t have to be Mtn. Views but I just liked what I’ve read about the strict adherence to proven dogs for breeding. Sure would have liked to have gotten one of Dasher’s pups but I wasn’t paying close enough attention to the forum. Probably to far away though. I don't mind a days drive (preferably in Oregon) to pick up a pup or pups, but I'd rather not pay air fare from a far away state.

Bottom line is that they’ll need good genetic potential since culling a house pet will not be an option.

Joel.

Last edited:
I should probably just lay out my priorities and let the breed fall where it may.

1. Must be good inside house pets. The Cats will just have to deal with it.

2. Intelligent and eager to please me, the alpha Wolf. I love hounds but some can be real hard headed.

3. 40lbs. to 55lbs. would be about right. I don’t need freight trains running through the house.

4. Must be versatile. Decoy dogs by day, tree dogs at night. We can still run Coon and Cats in Oregon and I certainly won’t pass up a hot track if I have a dog that will run it.

5. I prefer warm to hot nose over cold. I don’t care to wait for dogs to get lined out three canyons over.

6. I’ve spent too many days looking for lost dogs and would prefer dogs that work close.

7. Grit, grit and more grit. This may get me in trouble as I’m likely to get a severe tongue lashing if I bring home my daughters beloved pets all chewed to pieces.

Well that probably covers it. I like the looks of the blonde and brindle Mountain Curs and I think they fit the above requirements pretty well. Of course there are no guarantees with any dog and that’s why house pet is #1. If I fail to properly train the dogs to hunt, they still have to be good companions at home for the wife, kids and me.
Every thing else is a bonus.

I am sitting here reading your post listening to my 8 wk old Cur snoring! He is shaping up nicely.
This Cur came from Trapper2 down in SW NE.
I like you want a house/pet dog and a gritty hunter.
Impossible to say how he will turn out, but indications are good. Smart, easy to teach new tricks and knows what no means.
In my case I suspect 70% pet and 30% hunting. Just because of available time and areas to go hunting for me.
I also wanted a larger dog for home security... The 20# Schnauzer barks enough, just does not have the size to back it up.
I can see in the Cur pup when he plays with the other dog the grit and determination in him, really likes the neck/ throat area.

I made it clear when I got this dog there was the possibility that he would come home cut up, bit and beat up.

Good luck on your search, you might want to double check with trapper2 and see if he sold the rest of the pups, I have not talked to him in a while.
Rick H...

Joel, Wish you could have gotten one of the pups also. Duane got one of the pups and a year old female that he will have bred to one of his dogs. We are going to have another litter possibly this summer. But Duane will likely have some sooner. They should be great pups. Keep in touch with him. Thanks, D

Joel, I'll send you a PM.
Dasher I was gonna tell him to call you about your next litter.By the way the yearling treed the neighbors barn cat this am,3 miles from here.

Hey Duane,
Thanks for the PM. A pleasant surprise and generous offer to boot.

Here’s a little something my daughter wrote up.

Hi my name is Rachel I’ve been nagging my dad to get me a puppy for way more then 2years its been like 5years. Then I heard about a family at church who’s lab dog is going to have puppies so I’m totally for that cuz we would get it for free. And mommy my brother and me were begging daddy to let us get one of the lab puppies but it was a firm mean strict NO. and then I figure out that the lab puppy would only be my brothers cuz their dogs love my brother so I said forget the lab puppy idea. so I asked my dad
can I have a puppy at all and he said yes you can only have a mountain cur so I’m like searching on every single sight there is known to man looking for a brindle mountain cur puppy so I saw a picture of a litter of puppies and I said I want one then I scroll down a little more and it says they were born 2005 so that ruined it for me and I see on peoples sight puppies will be available in like the summer or April but that doesn’t suit me at all cuz I want one now. Daddy says he wants a blonde one and I say I want a brindle one so I say lets just get both hehe. To soften that statement up a little I guess I could wait a little longer I’ll go till May.

Puppy lover, Rachel

Well, You can see what I’m up against. I guess I didn’t do to good on teaching patience.
The wife is still conspiring against me to get a lab but I’m holding firm.
My only reason to be in a hurry would be to pre-empt the lab idea but other than that I’ve got the patience to wait till something suitable comes up.

Thanks, Joel.

Dasher,I expect any dog I feed, to run a barn cat.If they won't, they won't run anythin. I am on good terms with all my neighbors, and I help them out any time. Pat thought it was funny.He asked if he could go huntin with me some time.

My dog Ram-rod is a Mountain View Cur and he is shaping up to be one of the best dogs I have had. My criteria for a dog when I was looking mirrored yours to the letter but I have no house cat to worry about. I knew I wanted a cur after much research and this one fell into my lap.

I see no reason why a Mountain View Cur would be any better than any other Mt. cur he just happened to be available and close to some horses we were picking up. I wanted a dog from the same line as Bubba but that did not work out.
Dashers dogs look great and I regret not being in a position to get one.
I have a strong personal attachment to the Airedale as a breed but at one year old this is the best dog I have had. Breeds I have owned include-- Brittney stolen in high school. Airedale killed by car on a long running track, small Munsterlander great bird and blood trailing dog sold to a more bird oriented hunter. This may sound funny but the only thing I would like to see more of in this cur is a attitude. The Airedales i have been around, it came with a price, but it sure made me proud to be considered there buddy if that makes sense.

So far i have taken two daog out for coyotes my german shepherd and she was awesome. she would cjase and try to kill them. she died at 11 months of parvo. I now own an 15 month old mt cur black mouth cur mix. she is [beeep] on my neighbors cats, they are learning to stay out of hy yard. she listens great in the field. she mostly sits with me for now. and she is great with my 3 kids. she also has a ton of grit she loves to playfight with my 130 pound lab shepherd mix. goes straight for the throat. my only regret is that i dont have more time to hunt her.

Last edited:
Sometimes I get a little caught up with the glowing reports on the Mountain View Cur breeders websites.
I read so much good stuff I started getting tunnel vision.
According to Mike Bloodgood “The MVCA breeding records show that over 98% that are hunted are making tree dogs.” I guess It’s only natural that He should say great things about a breed that he worked so hard to re-create.
The last couple of nights I’ve had some enjoyable talks with Pa Roy over at (pennellstreeing.com). His dogs have an excellent reputation as well but I just can’t afford to ship them out here. He was quick to point out that “all them other dogs is good to”. That was honest of him but I still sure would like to have a couple of his Mtn View Cur pups.
Duane had some good advice for me in a PM. “I have messed with a bunch of breeds, and I breed ,first and foremost , what works for me in this country”.
OK so I’m a little less fixated on Mtn View Curs but I at least want some kind of Cur pups.

Joel.

I feel that I was as honest as I could be with you.If you keep lookin around, and talking to people you will find what will work for you.Anyone that breeds dogs ,"thinks theirs are great" (myself included).If we didn't think so we would be breedin them.The best thing you can do is look at dogs from not just diff breeds, but alos diff breeders. You will find dogs of the same breed, out of diff lines, that have diff traits.
Half the fun of runnin dogs, is "findin what works".

Ram-rod is from Pa-roy. he and his wife are great and will talk to you like you were close family.
Joel if you are ever around the Idaho border i am often playing around in Jordon Valley if you want to see one up close.
Matt

Matt How old is Ram-rod now. I'd like to see another picture of him. One of these days we ought to get together and go hunting, Wonder what he and Sage, my female, would produce for pups. He hasn't been neuterd has he?
Thanks, D

Back