"Ballistics" Test

Verminator2

I was wondering how to make some sort of a ballistics test for my .280AI and 140 Accubonds. I stuck a 2 liter pop bottle filled with water in front of 2 inches of plywood and another 2 inches of wood just behind that. The bullet made it halfway through the last piece of wood. Here's the bullet.

280AI006.jpg

It weighed 96gr. after I shot it, which would be about a 69% weight retention. So I was wondering what other sorts of homemade ballistic tests others have made or thought up? I think I might stick a piece of wood in front of the bottle to simulate a shoulder bone, then flesh/non hard stuff then wood in the back like bone? Just trying to think up of stuff to do, the weather outside sucks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've done that as well, most of the same bullets came out really mangled compared to this one, and some didn't. Don't know if the bullets are inconsistent, or the dirt. These are factory seconds. I would do my ballistic test again, but I only have one more 2 liter bottle, and I don't usually get very many of them so I was going to save it in case there were better ideas than mine.

Quote:
I would do my ballistic test again, but I only have one more 2 liter bottle, and I don't usually get very many of them so I was going to save it in case there were better ideas than mine.

Need to drink more M.D. lol

How about like 20 cans linged up full of H2O?

GJ

I went through a masochistic period where I tested a lot of different bullets in wet newsprint. The masochistic part is handling hundreds of pounds of soaking wet newsprint. The testing part actually went quite well.

It is not an ideal medium, but it is consistent, and cheap. I still think the ability to test "relative" performance of many bullets in a single medium taught me a lot. It is easy to measure the results in both penetration and "wound channel" diameter in wet newsprint.

Well, it certainly taught me the logistics of handling wet newsprint, anyway.

Yea what I did, was I got a piece of fur from the animal that I was going to replace a shot. And a rack of ribs. And ballistic gel media.

So I lined up a patch of deer fur on the ribs and put the gel behind it.

Worked good. Extend the gel media so it doesn't pass through.

My only problem is that where am I going to get a rack of ribs and deer fur ? I think picking up roadkill in Oregon is illegal. I may try what Big mentioned, and my idea of putting the plywood infront of the bottle. What would be a liquid that thickens when it cools? That could simulate flesh and organs.

Prickly pear pods are a good test to show internal damage, burn off the thorns and put six or more together. Use what you want for skin and bone.

I suppose I could shoot a coyote stem to stern and see what the damage is. Man that's going to stink /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif We don't have any prickly pears over here so I guess that isn't going to work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Someplace on the internet, I ran into a recipe for making ballistic gel...

That would be your most consistent medium and it can be re-melted and used again...Easy to slice to find the wound channel and measure the depth, as well as recovering the slug..

The only thing I've ever tryed was soaking old phonebooks in water for a while and then shooting them.Not sure if that really says anything about the damage they will do but you will be able to see which bullet penetrates furthest,expands better,ect.

The post by tt35 was me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif My dad was logged on. Anyway, I guess the newspaper would be a good thing to try as well, and maybe I'll get some gelatin.

Anybody ever try the goop stuff they made on Mythbusters? You know cornstarch and water. The harder you hit it, the harder it gets. Then it just melts back into goop. Only problem I have thought about is a container. When you shoot it with a high powered rifle I would think it would have a tendency to explode throwing goop everywhere and the transfer of energy would not slow the bullet to its full potential. Almost need a metal container with a hole covered with a thin seal.... but then it all leaks out when you finally hit the hole. Easy bullet retrieval though, just reach in and pick it up. a pressure cooker with a hole drilled in the side and some wax paper might just be the ticket. Or better yet, get some sort of self sealing foam, like those cheap spinners are made of so it would seal itself off and contain the force at the same time. hmmmmm I think I have another summer project. Alrighty then, I am done rambling. If anyone has ever tried this please let me know how it turned out before I turn my moms pressure cooker into a gun target.

Matt

Soakin wet phonebooks/newspapers in a row. that don't mean get some phonebooks/newspapers and get em wet, I really mean soak them. you want every single page to be saturated with water.

t/c223encore.

I have read in the mags that they use a bullet test tube. It is a wax like substance in a cardbord tube and it can be melted and reused. It comes with a chart that will compare it to balestic gel. I have never used it. Here is the link to the web site. The bullet test tube
I have heard of people lining up milk jugs filled with water for handguns. I don't know how that would work with a rifle though.
I also rember seeing something about a guy who built a long box that he filled with water. I want to say the box was 5' long and 2' x 2'. He cut a hole in the front that was something like 6" square. He covered the hole from the inside with 2 or 3 layers of laytex rubber. After 3 or 4 shots he would have to replace the laytex. If I remember right the cover was place on to keep the water more contained but it could not be sealed or the pressure from the bullet entering would blow the box appart. I don't remember where I saw this and the measurements are just my best guess.

Other wise I like the already stated wet newspaper.

Hope this helps some
Mark

Back