How would you build a .338 Lapua?

TacitalDriver

I bet some of you guys have done this and I was just wondering whats the best way to go about building a .338 Lapua Mag. What ,action ,barrel length, stock would you use and why? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Here is kinda what I was thinking:

Get a CZ action with a .416 Rigby boltface

28/30 inch barrel

McMillan stock.

What about a Remington Action? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

All feed back is appreciated Thanks.

remmy will work, I have a 7mm Allen built on a 700 action (parent case is the 338 lapua), most smiths prefer blued actions for a lapua build. It requires a sako type extractor.

If it were me I would contact Kirby Allen of APS from fort shaw montana, I can guarrantee you you won't be disapointed. When kirby built my rifle, his words to me were
...."if it won't shoot a sub 2" group at 500 yards it won't leave my shop, he didn't lie. here is the results of that build
1350.jpg

RR

I understand the 338 Lapua chambers $5.00 bills. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Last edited:
I think Id look into the 338 edge but if you want a lapua Stiller makes and action that is very well suited to the lapua.

I am by no means an expert on custom rifles. However I am learning. I am also considering the same build. And I have been talking to some smith's about this very thing. I think I am going to go with the 338 Lapua Improved. My information is showing this cartridge to be easier on cases. However I do not know why.

Personally I will never build another rifle on a 700 action. And this is not to say there is anything wrong with a 700 action, I say this because after you spend your money on a 700 to do all the work needed to bring it up to custom action standards--you could have bought a custom action for the same price. It is $1,000 or close to it no matter how you get there. So why not just buy the custom action to start with?? Tom.

Maybe you already know about it but I'd head over to www.longrangehunting.com. There is a ton of stuff about the .338 Lapua and many other cartridges I never even heard of.
This building cool custom rifles is every bit as addicting as building AR's. And way more costly. Dave.

Check out snipershide.com, lots of info on this cartridge as well as info on rifles, even a few custom builds in the classifieds I believe...

Quote:
I am by no means an expert on custom rifles. However I am learning. I am also considering the same build. And I have been talking to some smith's about this very thing. I think I am going to go with the 338 Lapua Improved. My information is showing this cartridge to be easier on cases. However I do not know why.

Personally I will never build another rifle on a 700 action. And this is not to say there is anything wrong with a 700 action, I say this because after you spend your money on a 700 to do all the work needed to bring it up to custom action standards--you could have bought a custom action for the same price. It is $1,000 or close to it no matter how you get there. So why not just buy the custom action to start with?? Tom.

Tom,
a stiller predator is exactly a rem 700 action that has been trued and accurised.
Now say you want a 338 lapua, you buy a used RUM for 400.00, less if you can find a shot out one, looking at kirby allens prices a trueing and accurising job is 230.00, sako extractor is 125.00. so if you go the remington route you'll have 755.00 in the action ready to fit the barrel, a stiller is a grand without the trigger, so you have the same rifle at least 200 bucks cheaper than going custom action. unless you full length sleeve the bolt the stiller won't shoot a bit better than a 700.
if your gonna improve the 338 lapua, I'd lean towards a 338 allen extreme by kirby, same case, same basic improvements, just for some reason unknown to me, kirby's rifles shoot better and are less temperamental than most others.
I have rifles built by some of the more renouned smiths in the US and they are not in the same class as my APS rifle, and don't take my word for it, go to longrangehunting.com and read others posts, they're results are the same.
another thing, my APS is chambered so tight that it takes less effort to resize the 7mm Allen cases (7mm/338 LM imp.) than it does my 6mm PPC cases, its just been a pleasure to own, develope loads, and shoot.
RR

R.R. What kinda stock is that purdy rifle of yours wearing? Also tell us a bit more on the 7mm Allen. Its kinda a new one on me. VERY NICE RIFLE if you hadn't built it backwards!! Just kidding.

Pyscodog

Quote:
I'd go with a 8.6x70mm instead..........

Haha very funny.... Whats a 8.6x70mm? LOL JK

Quote:
Go with a 700 or a Sako. No CZ.....

I would prefer a 700 and was just thinking the CZ would be a easier route to go but ,just curious why no CZ?

Quote:
I think Id look into the 338 edge

Whats the difference between a .338 Edge and a .338 RUM?

Thanks

A 8.6x70 IS a 338 Lapua......grins

Options for CZ's are WAY limited compared to those of the 700. Sakos are just better......

Quote:
Tom,
a stiller predator is exactly a rem 700 action that has been trued and accurised....... unless you full length sleeve the bolt the stiller won't shoot a bit better than a 700.

I like it when I hear from guys who actually know what the heck they are saying. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif This is exactly true. I'll take a sleeved 700 from a top smith over a standard Predator any day. There is more slop in the Stiller, and we have been able to get some of the bolts to bind up when cycling them vertically......

Quote:
A 8.6x70 IS a 338 Lapua......grins

I knew that,notice the JK after my question "Whats a 8.6x70MM?" but anyways...

do you think I would be better off to get a 700 or just go ahead and get the stiller action? Thanks

Quote:
R.R. What kinda stock is that purdy rifle of yours wearing? Also tell us a bit more on the 7mm Allen. Its kinda a new one on me. VERY NICE RIFLE if you hadn't built it backwards!! Just kidding.

Pyscodog

Its a richards micro-fit thumbhole varminter with 2.5" forend, but I have modified it a bit to suit me.
The 7mm Allen is a 338 lapua necked down to .284, with the shoulder bumped foreward slightly and a approx. 35 degree shoulder, the case capacity of H2o is 122 gr.
My current hunting load, though is rather mild, sends a 160 nosler accubond downrange at 3575 fps, can take it to just over 3700 but don't need all that, to do all the accubond is capable of. I'm currently shooting a charge of 110 gr of WC872 (mil-surp powder designed for the 50 BMG and 20MM Vulcan cannon) this powder, when available and others that are used for the same purpose (wc 860, WC 868) can be purchased for about 1/4 of what you pay for commercial powders. so it costs just a bit more to load a cartridge than a 243, excluding the cost of cases.
RR

Quote:
Quote:

Tom,
a stiller predator is exactly a rem 700 action that has been trued and accurised.
Now say you want a 338 lapua, you buy a used RUM for 400.00, less if you can find a shot out one, looking at kirby allens prices a trueing and accurising job is 230.00, sako extractor is 125.00. so if you go the remington route you'll have 755.00 in the action ready to fit the barrel, a stiller is a grand without the trigger, so you have the same rifle at least 200 bucks cheaper than going custom action. unless you full length sleeve the bolt the stiller won't shoot a bit better than a 700.
if your gonna improve the 338 lapua, I'd lean towards a 338 allen extreme by kirby, same case, same basic improvements, just for some reason unknown to me, kirby's rifles shoot better and are less temperamental than most others.
I have rifles built by some of the more renouned smiths in the US and they are not in the same class as my APS rifle, and don't take my word for it, go to longrangehunting.com and read others posts, they're results are the same.
another thing, my APS is chambered so tight that it takes less effort to resize the 7mm Allen cases (7mm/338 LM imp.) than it does my 6mm PPC cases, its just been a pleasure to own, develope loads, and shoot.
RR

The reason why I was considering the 338 Lapua Improved is because it was recommended to me by the gunsmith that built my 22-250. I did not consider the purchase of a used 700 action. I know I had more that that in the new one that I just had built. He said it was a simple process of just shooting the 338 factory Lapua round to fireform the brass and that he was getting great case life out of the fire formed brass.

The gun smith I was usung is the one that told me I would have the same money in either the reworked 700 or the new custom action. I may have some trouble finding a used LH 700 in 338UM, however I will definitley start looking. Thanks for the recommendation. I know that I had $1,000 in the new Remington action that I provided the smith(after he finished the work).

Can I get into one of the Kirby rifles for under $2500?? Including bases, rings, and scope mounting??

I understand that you get what you pay for. And I am sure that some smith's work are actually worth a premium. Does Kirby have some type of guarantee?? Thanks, Tom.

Back