Bird dog3 & Westons Friday Adventure!

Weston

I'll start this off by saying that I'm only going to post our productive stands and we had some unproductive ones as well, but I'll leave those out.

Friday morning I met up with Roger and we headed out to get some dogs. We had discussed the possibility of not getting any dogs in this late in the season and were both fine with that.

Stand 1: First stand of the day, We headed down into a draw with pretty thick cover I opted to bring my Rem 700 in .308 and roger his 12ga. I set up approx 125 yards away down the draw where I had longer shooting lanes. And you know how it goes the first stand you're still tired and not always 100% awake. well at the 14 minute mark I had figured nothing was coming in and almost completly spaced out when all the sudden Rogers benelli roared (scared me just a bit) and I didnt hear anything else. kinda of figured it was a miss to be compltly honest. I started heading over twords Roger and I see him dragging back a good sized female. I asked about the shot and he showed me and let me tell you I dont think you could ask for a worse shooting lane. 65 yards through THICK brush 1 pelet hit the dog and brought it down. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif 1 dog in the dog box

A few stands later we head off to an area Roger said would be a good stand I opted for the 11-87 with some federal coyote with the flight control wad. and Roger his good ol' benelli. I knew we had a walk to I brought just the gun no stool or ladder. I got set up about 40 yards to the side of Roger and the fury started it's magic about 5 minutes in I see movement in some thick brush so I raise the shotgun. wait for it and its partner to start working their way in, I lost them off to my right and then they popped back up trotting away at 50 yards I knew that the best shot I had was that one. I spanked it with those BB's and she yelped pretty good. but when we went to look for her we could'nt find her /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Only a couple stands later Roger picks out a good thicket of trees to get into about 1/2 mile ahead. so we start our trek both toteing our shotguns and me with my stool. we followed a trail tromped by illeagal immagrants with foot prints and trash all around, along with the occasional pile of scat. we set up in the draw. I was on the left and roger on the right. The fury starts its thing and about 15 seconds in I see movement up ahead. Great! except it was 4 mulie does so I keep watching them and theyre out of there. then less than a minute later I have 3 of them coming from my right about 120 yards I stay still untill the lead dog is about 40 yards away and the other two had stopped to check things out. I swung on it then and fired some of the federal coyote into it. it was his but spinning so a few more rounds were quickly put into him. he was down for the count. Now I was pretty stoked I finally set one down with the 12 I had been killing them over and over with my .308 but had yet to take my shotguns coyote virginity. We got up to him and he had quite the amount of black fur for an AZ dog. We thought the picture of the ladder looked good so we put him on there even though he was shot off a stool.
2 dogs in the box
IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0323-1.jpg

A few stands later Roger again says thats a great area for dogs so we get out to go get em' Roger was smart enough to bring the shotgun but I went back to my trusty .308 we get set up approx. 4 minutes into the stand I had my Jay Niestetter special kick in. good ol' A.D.D. I was thinking man I should have brought the 11-87 on this stand and as my thoughts wandered and I was watching a single blade of grass with a moth on it. OH SH!T two coytes hard charged through the bush coming right twords me! I think well I gotta stay competly still till they stop. and about 10 yards to my left the dog sees me and hits the E brake I know now's my chance so I swing but that 6-18x scope is a bit to powerfull and I cant find it as its escaping at Mach-4 Finally fur in my scope. A miss shot behind him. [beeep]. Well after giving Roger a hard time for not being able to see them all day (they were all coming in on my side) he finally got a chance to redeem himself. and we joked about it for awhile. but I learned a valuble lesson. 1 scope power per yard is NOT a good rule of thumb /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Well the very next stand Roger picks out another good thicket and we head out, I decide to carry the .308 again to redeem myself. We brought ladders. once set up roger hit the call not more than 3 minutes into it a see a dog run past Roger I'm talking within 10 yards of his ladder. but its right behind him the dog hits the after burners and is on the run! out into the open 70 yards in front of me I decide well if hes not going to shoot him I will! so I click of the saftey and that luckly slowed him to a trot looking for the misplaced sound. and I put one right into his spine Turns out roger was facing the other way and never saw him. and hes down for the count /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

3 in the Dead dog Box

2 stands later Roger and I hit another area and get down in there. just as we set up 17 seconds to be excate Rogers (who was only about 10 yards to the right of me) shot guns rings and I'm thinking [beeep]???? and then again I look over and theres a coyote on the ground just 20 yards from him. That was the fastest set I've ever done.

4 in the Dead Dog Box.

it was starting to get late and we tried squeezing a couple more stands in but to no avail (except some more deer)

All in all this was an awesome day I had a blast Rogers a great guy to hunt with and I'm definitly looking forward to our next hunt Roger, you can pick a good stand! thats for sure! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11 called
4 killed

Heres a picture of a near full Dead Dog Box
IMG_0325.jpg

And the results of an amazing day.
IMG_0592.jpg

HOMnominatedbanner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you fellas had a good day. Congrats on the successful hunt.

Roger knows a thing or two about dog hunting, stick w/ him Weston and you'll be a top predator hunter in no time!

Jon...

Well done fellas. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gifLooks like an outstanding time.Fur looks pretty nice on those dogs.

First thing I would like to add is that Justin, Dam! I mean Weston as he politely corrected me a couple times during our hunt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif ( problem with hunting with old men ) is the unbridled energy that someone as young as Weston is great to watch. I picked a area for us to hunt based on our mutual friend Andy Hinds as it was the last spot I took Andy to and I was hoping he would be ridding with us that day as with Andy's passing it caused Weston's and my path to cross. Our day started off with me showing Weston how I try to let the Boarder Patrol know what we would be doing and as I pulled up on the left side of the BP vehicle to let him know what we were up to the BP was fast a sleep and didn't even wake up as as I rolled up to his vehicle. Our tax dollars at work so we drove off to do our thing. As the day proceeded it was quite clear that the stick of Fox deodorant that Weston won at the PM hunt was working as all the critters that I coxed in came in on his side of the stand! He did let me have the first and the last coyotes of the day. Weston asked me at one point where he should set and I mumbled something like the front seat of my truck wouldn't be to bad. As I already pinned the name game hog on him! (lol) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif But on the brighter side of the hunt we had it has been a long time since I had some one drag all the coyotes back to the truck. Thanks Weston! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gifIt was a pleasure to hunt with you and looking forwards to our next hunt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

[image]http://
flaghaf2.gif
[/image] R.I.P---Andy Hinds

Hey, Hey hey! Enough raggin on the BP! ( I am in the academy right now!)

congrats guys. I am sure Andy was sitting right next to you guys. I hope he accompanys me on many a predator hunt.

Great write-up Weston! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

You guys did good... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

FirstCoues, we need to go kill something pretty quick! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Barry

Quote:
First thing I would like to add is that Justin, Dam! I mean Weston as he politely corrected me a couple times during our hunt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif ( problem with hunting with old men ) is the unbridled energy that someone as young as Weston is great to watch. I picked a area for us to hunt based on our mutual friend Andy Hinds as it was the last spot I took Andy to and I was hoping he would be ridding with us that day as with Andy's passing it caused Weston's and my path to cross. Our day started off with me showing Weston how I try to let the Boarder Patrol know what we would be doing and as I pulled up on the left side of the BP vehicle to let him know what we were up to the BP was fast a sleep and didn't even wake up as as I rolled up to his vehicle. Our tax dollars at work so we drove off to do our thing. As the day proceeded it was quite clear that the stick of Fox deodorant that Weston won at the PM hunt was working as all the critters that I coxed in came in on his side of the stand! He did let me have the first and the last coyotes of the day. Weston asked me at one point where he should set and I mumbled something like the front seat of my truck wouldn't be to bad. As I already pinned the name game hog on him! (lol) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif But on the brighter side of the hunt we had it has been a long time since I had some one drag all the coyotes back to the truck. Thanks Weston! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gifIt was a pleasure to hunt with you and looking forwards to our next hunt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

[image]http://
flaghaf2.gif
[/image] R.I.P---Andy Hinds

Well Roger, I told you if you didn't want to scare them away not to put on so much aftershave /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I hadn't relized that that fox in a stick wasn't suposed to go on you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Jk.

I had completly forgotten about that BP agent! We should have snapped a pic it would have been a good addition to the story!

Heres a picture of the New Flight control wad from Federal. heres the wad and shell 3" mag
IMG_0331.jpg

Again Roger I had a blast and will definitly be looking forward to our next outing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Way to go fellas. A productive late season day. I always new Roger was one of the good ones. This just proves it.

Back