Anyone using Hornady 52gr bthp match?

huntnfish08

These bullets are fairly cheap. Plus I have a bit of a shipping price window I can fill up with some bullets.

Anyone loading them for coyotes? Out of a .223? Terminal performance? Accuracy?

Will be loaded at .223 velocities and 1:12" twist.

Adam

Did a search on yahoo and came up with some positive results. I'll give them a try. Should be just about right for a 1:12" Twist.

Adam

I've shot them for years in different 223's with good performance. As Ugly Dog said not many exits, with a body shot it turns things to mush.

I've use the 53gr match which I believe is the same bullet, but a flat base. I had very good results on coyotes with it. Although others reported, cweeks comes to mind, that did not experience good results.

I've used them with excellent results out of my 22-250. Loaded up some for the swift but havent shot anything but paper with them. I really like Sierra and Hornady Match hollows.

I think that's the bullet that Les Johnson is shooting out of his Howa .22-250. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Seems to work for him. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

I have always loaded them in my 22-250 with 34.0 grains of IMR 4895 for coyotes. Love them. Can be destructive if you hit them too low on the stomach but most bullets are. Kill great. I've shot them since 1980.

I had outstanding results using them on coyotes out of my 22-250, most did not exit. I am going to be loading them for my soon to be here .223AI.

I load Sierra 52gr.hpbt match in front of 42.5 gr. H380 for my SWIFT. Only used em'on groundhog. Planning on coyotes soon. Average range 200/300 yards. Have used since the 80's. True LOVE! Hornady should also be great.

I use them out of my 22-250's and they group great and if you make good shot, they keep coyotes down, awesome. the runners I have had were because of poor shots. Rob

I've used both the 52s and 53s on groundhogs in my 22-250 at various distances. Though some would exit and cause some damage, most stayed inside and made a mess of things. Many of the groundhogs just looked like they died of natural causes; was difficult to even find where the bullet hit sometimes. Very accurate bullets.

I used them in my 223. XP-100R, and my son used them in his 223 Rem Model 700 heavy varmint. Very accurate, but we lost many coyotes because they acted like solids, just drilled right through. We both switched to Sierra 50 BK, same point of impact at 200 yards as the Speers, but they open up on coyotes.

Back