Big tom (action pics and story)

Byron South

Been extrememly busy lately and haven't had much time to hang out with you guys. Still very busy but would like to share a story and some pictures from a hunt last Tuesday.

I'll let the pictures tell most of the story and I'll just fill in with some details.

By good friend Sam is running the camera. Thanks Sam. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I put the Fury and the Mojo critter out in front of Sam and I with the speaker pointed towards the far corner of the field in front.
17-2.jpg

Then walked back to the tree line and got settled in.
18-2.jpg

21-2.jpg

At about 2 minutes we had some crows come in but instead of paying attention to the call and decoy they were more focused on the far corner.
9-7.jpg

Experience has taught me to pay attention to the other animals as they will often tip you off to predators you can't yet see.

It wasn't long before it became apparent what the crows were fussing at.
1-6.jpg

2-9.jpg

when he got about 30 yards from the call and decoy he just sat down to watch.
5-7.jpg

Stay tuned.......

With the cat posing at about 70 yards I placed the crosshairs in the middle of his chest and let it fly.
6-7.jpg

7-7.jpg

And the big tom bobcat was down.

14-2.jpg

This critter could wreak havoc on our fawn crop (No we don't have to many deer in East Texas).

15-3.jpg

16-2.jpg

By the way, forgot to mention I started with a "cottontail" and them switched to a "grey squirrel in distress" sound.
We felt he was there for quiet some time but he never showed until I switched sounds.

Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Good Hunting, and God Bless,

Byron

Nice photo story, Byron. Good job on telling the tale. Few words, but the story was well told. Nice looking cat too. Did you weigh him?

Awesome story and pics.Those action pics are the greatest as I've probably mentioned before. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
I saw two bobcats today but did'nt get a shot at either of them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Nice Byron! You're definately saving some deer numbers...

Found a Bobcat kill today. If you think Bobcats won't take deer, you'd be mistaken! Found a yearling kill, buried. Bobcat tracks all around, Bobcat bed 10 yards away. No Cougar sign in the area. All on snow, so there was no question.

Bobcat took a 80lb button buck!

Thanks again.

Hyper,

My box is always full. You should see my emails too. Try to get to them all. Sometimes I just don't have the time. Spring will be here soon and I will slow down and have more time for the puter stuff.

Crapshoot,

You know how to get here. You don't be a stranger either.

Rainshadow1,

Yes, bobcats can and do kill grown deer. I just recently read a study where they said that a bobcat can and does kill animals up to 10 times their body weight. I believe I found the link to that study hear on PM. Fawns are surely no problem for cats or coyotes.

Thanks again everyone.

Byron

Rod,

Yeah because you fired a warning shot at him /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif Good thing about cats is they forget. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

By the way....you are on the shotgun tomorrow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Byron /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Too funny!

Hang in there, Rod! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Byron, those are some great pics.
If they are that clear on the stills, I imagine they are great on the screen as well....

In looking around the stores nowadays the Blueray is getting out there pretty well. Does the camera you guys use go that direction as well? I suppose that's the viewing format, but if ya'll use a great camera & have excellent cinematography, (as always)...I'll bet it'd really pop on blueray. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Barry

Great Job Byron,
Your pics and films are always professionel....pete /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Back