Converting an old school Remington 11-48 to take an 1100 barrel?

Dultimatpredator

I have a friend that has an old Remington 11-48 12 gauge that takes 2 3/4" shells only and asked me if the newer barrels would interchange. I sure they dont but it has sentamental value to him and instead of trading it in for a modern gun he wanted to see if it was possible to upgrade to a modern barrel that would accept choke tubes. Is it possible for an 1100 barrel to be converted so it will fit in this gun?

I don't know about converting to an 1100 barrel, but many smiths can fit his old barrel with interchangeable choke tubes. I know that Brownell's sells the tools to do this job.

Well, as withg most things... With enough time and enough money you "can" do anything... But, I suspect, adding tubes would be a much better solution...

Selling it a buying a more modern gun would be a more cost effective method of handling the problem, unless it has some sentimental value.

He's like the guy who has a Ford Pinto who wants to use it for off roading. Yes, it's possible to make a conversion if he has enough money ..... but why bother? It's cheaper and he will have fewer problems if he just buys another gun built to handle 3" shells and which has choke tubes.

My uncle loaned me his 16ga. 11-48 when I about 14. It was an ok gun but I do remember having to wait while it cycled when trying to shoot fast. Later got a 11-87 when they came out and sure love the gas operated action better than the recoil one. Wouldn't stick a penny in it with so many better options out there.

A final thought. Have a gunsmithg open it up with a choke reamer from "Full" (70%) to "Modified" (60%) or "Improved Modified" (65%) and live with the compromise....

Back