Painted my gun camoflauge

Tjchris3

So i know its been shown before but what the heck!
I got a new .243 and decided it needed to be camo. I used Krylon and feel it turned out pretty good, it was easy and didnt take long... this is how i did it...
1st I cleaned it real good and wiped it with alcohol to remove any oil on it.
Then I started taping it off where i didnt want paint, take your time and do it right even though it can be a pain.
Around the scope can be tricky, cut a piece of cardboard (soda box)and put it over the lense. Then tape a straight line around the end then put tape over that and cut slots so it will fold over like this..
snowandgunpainting014.jpg

Then tape over that just to be safe!!
Tape the rest of the gun...take your time!
snowandgunpainting015.jpg

snowandgunpainting016.jpg

Now it's ready for paint. I hung it by the sling swivles with a coat hanger for the base coat in this case tan... forgot to take pictures. Let it dry for about half an hour, did one more coat and put some grey on it. Wait about an hour then the fun begins!
I lay the gun down to paint with the stencil one side at a time, if not the stencil wont stay tight to the gun and you will get a lot of blur. I used a brown for this coat. The stencil is sticks taped together and I stepped on it to get it kind of flat... lay the stencil over and spray, move,spray and so on
snowandgunpainting017.jpg

You can see the base coat on the front of the gun here
snowandgunpainting018.jpg

then hang it up to dry
snowandgunpainting020.jpg

Here is the finished product...
snowandgunpainting023.jpg

snowandgunpainting024.jpg

snowandgunpainting026.jpg

Hope this helps someone and ya like it!!!

Last edited:
Great Job /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I took time to paint my Sako 3006 hunting rifle, but I will save my Tikkatactical and Remmy 243 VlS for long range shooting for now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Again Great Job.....

I agree looks good! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Might try it on my scattergun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks guys... Sendit223.... I live in arizona so...what is humidity...haha! it was about 70* outside and humidity would be very low. I would take it inside between coats and hang it in the closet because it was a little breezy. Its real easy to do, its just hard convincing yourself to paint a brand new rifle but after its done you'll wonder why you didnt do it sooner!........ Beerfest sig!!!

Looks good...I'm trying to work up the courage to do my new Tikka. Right now it's covered in the camo tape, but I don't think it's going to make it through the summer that way.

Nice work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I will give an old cliche and say don't put it down anywhere because you might not find it.

Did you put a clear over it? Rustoleum (I think) makes an ultra flat clear, that will keep it from scratching off or pealing with oil or solvent. Looks very good.

I'm convinced, and it's all I can do to wait for something less than the humidity we have and the frosty temps.

The clock is ticking on my camo vet wrap. All good things in time I guess. There's plenty of summer ahead.

Thanks again for the pics. Great looking home camo jobs like that one keep me motivated to get er done.

Gotta love the beerfest!.......some of my best friends are ...

Thanks guys! I have a winchester 94 that had tape on it but it got rusty and ruined the blueing... i wont make that mistake again!
I used krylon becauce its cheap, fast, and idiot proof!! I painted the gun for under $20!! Also it will be real easy to touch up if i ever need too.
I will look into the clear coat for sure, i'll be outta town next week but when i get back i will try it on the ole .22 i did first to get the feel of it and let ya all know how it is. by the way, doing the .22 first is how i learned to lay it down and paint one side at a time to get a better look with the stencil!

Back