New Savage .223 Rifle. Questions??

Rhinodogg

The barrel has Savage 110 on it. Barrel is a 1" Diameter heavy, 20" length. Bolt has 4X4 on it.

I can't find much info on this rifle.

Here's a pic.
savage223.jpg

Anyone know the twist on this? Any other info is appreciated as well. Thanks!

From my understanding the 4x4 was a limited run for a large supplier. If memory serves me correctly the .223 has a 1:9 twist barrel. The 4x4 is similar to the 12FV with a 20" tube.

It looks closer to an older model 10fp to me. Or some variant of it.

It also looks like this rifle has a long action. What gives?

I had a savage .223 that I got back in 1998 and it came with a long action. Mine was a 110 it was from kmart and my friend bought one to but his was all weather one and his came in a long action to.

If a Savage is of recent manufacture, last 30 years or so I believe, and is a short action it has a 2 digit designator, such as 10, 11, 12, 16, etc. If it is a long action it will have a 3 digit designator such as 110, 111, etc.
Apex

To make sure what your twist rate is, follow this simple procedure.

Get a cleaning rod. Put a patch on. Make a mark on the rod parallel to cleaning rod(horizontal) and one more parallel to muzzle(vertical). Match vertical line to muzzle. Pull cleaning rod until horizontal line makes full revolution. measure the distance the cleaning rod was pulled to make one revolution. The distance from vertical mark to muzzle in inches is your twist.

Adam

That gun is identical in every aspect to the old 10fp that I sold just a few weeks ago. They only made a limited run of them in .223 with the 20" bull barrel. Mine was 1 in 9. Only difference I can see is that the 10fp has dual studs on the front of the stock (sling plus bipod).

Last edited:
Quote:
110=long
10=short

That's why I'm wondering why it is a 223 with what looks to be a long action......

All Savage made was a long action until maybe 10-12 years ago when they AGAIN started making short ones. (((Actually Savage once made short actions (in the 60s maybe) but had not made them for many moons when they started making them again in the 90s))). I have a 116 SS .223 (no short action produced at the time) that I bought sometime in the early 90s.

Quote:
Have you had it out to the range yet? looks like a nice gun! tell us how it shoots.

Not yet. Waiting for it to warm up a little.

I'll post closer pics of the action and barrel markings.

IMG_1135.jpg

I couldn't get a clear pic of the barrel, but if you squint your eyes hard enough, you'll see that it says "Savage 110 223" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

IMG_1134.jpg

Your rifle is indeed a Savage 110FP. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I had one in the late 80's as a police sniper on the SWAT team.
It would lay them in there too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I believe at the time, Savage only made long action rifles, and that was the version that law enforcement got their hands on.

It doesn't have the double studded forend, because that came later, as did the short action & the accu-trigger.

Hope this helps.

Barry

Quote:
Your rifle is indeed a Savage 110FP. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I had one in the late 80's as a police sniper on the SWAT team.
It would lay them in there too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I believe at the time, Savage only made long action rifles, and that was the version that law enforcement got their hands on.

It doesn't have the double studded forend, because that came later, as did the short action & the accu-trigger.

Hope this helps.

Barry

Helps a bunch, Thanks!

Would the serial# give you any idea on the year?

Last edited:
I owned a savage model 110fp tactical in .308 and it was the most accurate gun I have ever shot. Sure wish I wouldn't have sold it, really thinking of getting another one.

Rhino,

I think the site savagecollectors.com has a comprehensive serial number run-down there. Savage has undergone a changing of the gaurd, & about all I keep up with now is the Savage 99 as far as serial numbers & such.

Back