Your dream groundhog rig

hetzer

Hey Big spender! If money were no object what scope and rifle combo would you field. I saw a guy here in Ohio a few years back who had just recieved a Sako trg in 338 Laupua,Talk about a bad [beeep] rifle.. Claimed at the ranges he was shooting he could nor see where his 300 mag was hitting and needed a little more umph. An I think he was telling the truth, He was in to it. A man's got to have a dream, what is yours. Hetzer

I have been working on this one for over a year. It is a totally reworked 700 action with an upgraded trigger. A 28" Krieger barrel with a 1in8 twist(chambered in 22-250). Manners stock with a Zeiss 6.5X20 scope. This is going to be my 400-800 yard ground hog rifle. I had it built to shoot the 75 grain A-Max bullets. I do not have the load finished yet. But it is grouping in the .3's right now. So I am very happy with it. It will get a lot of use this year. Tom.

IMG_0521.jpg

CZ 527 Varmint in 204 Ruger. 8 by 34 target dot reticule scope. Good pair of sitdown shooting sticks or bipod. Whoa, I've got that already.

CZ527-204-2.jpg

We don't have ground hogs out here in Idaho, but Rock chucks and ground squirrels work just as well.

This is one that I haven't fully finished. It still needs a few more coats of polyurethane and more load development.

It started out as a single shot 40XB in 22-250 when I bought it new in 1979, and went through a barrel the first time I went to SoDak for PDs... then two more barrels on northeast woodchucks.

But my love affair with the 22-250 is in the waning days (have one other), so last winter I put on a new 28" benchrest grade barrel in straight 6mm-Rem (.244) with a 10" twist for the Hornady 87 V-Max.

40XB6mmRem-1.jpg

The scope is a 2" Unertl Ultra varmint in 15x and it's a cream puff.

40-XB6mmRem-2.jpg

The trigger is "1 of 10" hand made triggers made by Remington for the Army Marksmanship Unit around 1967. It is unique because ALL of the adjustments are on the bottom of the trigger - you can't see it in the photo, but the trigger itself is movable fore and aft for finger placement.

The trigger pull is 2 ounces

40XBTrigger.jpg

I had it out twice last fall and all the groups were under 0.4" and two groups with H-4350 were in the high ones.

Shot one with a 45-70 once, seemed to do the job. Guess I'd start there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ELJ

I'm still working on mine. It's a .243 AI, McM A5 stock, fully worked over 700 action, pillar bedded, Harris 6-9" bipod, 24" Krieger or Lilja barrel, and top it off with a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50.

I wont say its a groudhog gun, but a wild hog/coyote slayer/deer sniper. I suppose it could be used for groundhogs, but I would imagine it would be pretty unforgiving on the pelt haha!

Anyways, Im looking at a Remington VTR 22" .308 (or .243 not decided), Harris Bi-Pod, film dipped Woodland Digital custom finish, a Leupold Mark 4 (for range days and long range stuff) and possibly a Nikon medium power for deer season. Both will be covered in Digital Woodland film dipped camo finish.

I will be stalking and calling with this rifle, so I think it offers benefits for both types of hunting. The camo will be able to adapt to all terrain I may encounter (its going to be mostly covered with Ghillie anyways). And it will look nice when not covered!

This will be my starter rifle, so changes may be made after this initial setup. Ive just heard good things about Remington and Leupold, so this is what Ive decided. Comments and advice welcomed!

Last edited:
Quote:

IMG_0521.jpg

Dude! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
What's the deal with the target turrets on that hunting rig?/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif They have no place in the field, remember? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Don't take me serious, I'm just funnin' you a bit! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Nice stick!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

CAT,
That is a magnificent package you have there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

Quote:
Quote:

IMG_0521.jpg

Dude! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
What's the deal with the target turrets on that hunting rig?/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif They have no place in the field, remember? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Don't take me serious, I'm just funnin' you a bit! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Nice stick!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

CAT,
That is a magnificent package you have there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

You got me on that one. I saved up for a year to put this rig together. I do have a few other ground hog rigs, but I am looking forward to using this one this year. I have been spending some time at the range with her, and it is looking good. I have got the trajectory figured out to 500 yards. I have shot about 100 rounds through it so far. We have a 1,000 yard range within a couple miles of where I live. When the weather breaks I will get her figured out to about 700 or 800 yards. That is about the farthest I can hunt in any of the fields I hunt in, and it is about as far as I am capable of shooting. So this summer should be a lot of fun.

That 75 grain A-Max bullet is a fantastic shooter. I just hope it performs well on ground hogs. I have got it shooting in the .3's. And I have done this with minimal load development. After I get it ready for this season I might work on the load a bit, but for now I am satisfied with what I have. Tom. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have a Savage 12fv, I love it. But it is a bit heavy. My dream rig would be a Savage varminter that was not so heavy. Maybe the size of a CZ 527 varmint.(Hear that Savage? A walk about varmint rifle.) On top would be a Leupold VX3 6.5-20 w/ 30mm tube and varmint reticle. The caliber would either be 204R or 223AI.

Cat,

Have you shot any prairie dogs with 55's thru that 10 twist. I would bet its devastating. My 6mm tears'em up good but its an older tang saftey ruger, I forgot the twist 12 or so I think.

Quote:
Cat,

Have you shot any prairie dogs with 55's thru that 10 twist. I would bet its devastating. My 6mm tears'em up good but its an older tang saftey ruger, I forgot the twist 12 or so I think.

Fuzzy...

I haven't had on game yet - I just had it out for two load testing sessions, and it still needs a few more coats of polyurethane.

It is really not a PD rifle - it is for looooong range woodchucks (ground hogs to you "fur"erners /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

This is gonna be the rig that goes out with the Wild optical rangefinder, and the 25x100 bins. (Man you should see those puppies - 11 pound binoculars, dammn near two feet long).

I believe that one aspect (but not the only aspect) of woodchuck shooting entails sitting up on a hill or a knoll, overlooking big fields - with a very long range rig, big bins, a good rangefinder, an ice cooler, some sandwiches, and good friends...

... of course that is not the only way to shoot woodchucks!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Im envious of that wild range finder. I wanted to buy one when Deutches optik had them new, and reasonable considering the fantastic quality. I still agonize about missing out. Lucky you. Hetzer

Quote:
(Man you should see those puppies - 11 pound binoculars, dammn near two feet long).

So wheres the pics?

I take it they are mounted to a tripod! I dont think they would fit my bino buddy strap!

Quote:
Quote:
(Man you should see those puppies - 11 pound binoculars, dammn near two feet long).

So wheres the pics?

I take it they are mounted to a tripod! I dont think they would fit my bino buddy strap!

I'll take some pics when it's nice out and post them... is it ever gonna be nice out again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ?

Here's a picture of someone holding them to show the size (it's not me - I'm uglier)... but they MUST be used on a tripod.

For a size comparison, remember that each of the front lenses is FOUR INCHES in diameter,

25x100bins-PM.jpg

If that aint you and they belong to you, did you kiwi the eyecups before the other fella posed for the pic..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

That picture reminds me of a bracket that someone built so they could mount 2 spotting scopes side by side for use like binos!!

Celestron makes some astro binos like those that are on a good sale right now at opticsplanet. I have often though about them, so much easier to look thru than a spotting scope cause you can use both eyes.

Quote:
Im envious of that wild range finder. I wanted to buy one when Deutches optik had them new, and reasonable considering the fantastic quality. I still agonize about missing out. Lucky you. Hetzer

I see Wild Rangefinders show up on eBay every 4 to 6 weeks.

I bought mine Deutch optik when they first came into the country and it was pretty pricey, but complete with two tripods (one is oak and bronze), the calibration (lathe) board, and other stuff - it is very clean.

The ones I see on eBay are not as nice, but they still work fine and I have seen them go for $350 to $500, so you are not out of luck yet.

For small animals and PDs, the big optical units are the best game in town - the pocket lasers are very hit or miss.

Thanks for the tip cat shooter. I'll try ebay. That unertl is beautiful . I had a 16power varmint like that .I believe that was the power a while back, Had to sell it on Ebay when I was broke. I regret most every thing I sell.I got a hold of the Unertl company years ago ,talked to a nice old lady on the phone. She said she would try to mimiograph(sic) me a copy of what they had to sell. Talk about old school, but what a product.Those external adjustment were so fine. Wish I would have been able to mount it. Sigh. Hetzer

Quote:
Thanks for the tip cat shooter. I'll try ebay. That unertl is beautiful . I had a 16power varmint like that. I believe that was the power a while back, Had to sell it on Ebay when I was broke. I regret most every thing I sell. I got a hold of the Unertl company years ago, talked to a nice old lady on the phone. She said she would try to mimeograph(sic) me a copy of what they had to sell. Talk about old school, but what a product. Those external adjustment were so fine. Wish I would have been able to mount it. Sigh. Hetzer

That nice little ol' lady was Else Unertl - John's wife. They are both gone now.

There is one on eBay now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Swiss-Army-Wild-Rang...1QQcmdZViewItem

It's a little high, and doesn't have the tall tripod, but it has a lot of the stuff that is usually missing from these.

Back