Colo Trip: Pt Deux, Kill info and pics

coyotesniperFJ

Okay, I tranquilized all you with my last post. I won't do that this time. Here are the stats after the FJ and snow fiasco:

Made one stand 1/2 mile from my parents house overlooking a barley field. Backed myself up to an abandoned planter and got busy. Started with Female howls, then 2.5 minutes in, I see a dog working towards me. 2 Minutes later, DRT, 32lb male. You can see my FJ next to the planter where I was sitting.

Lajaramalehousedogpos.jpg

Here is the view from my shoot position. You can't see the dog in the pic but he came from the far side through the middle towards me.

Lajaramalehouseshootpos.jpg

Make a few more stands using my normal arsenal of calls: invite, PD distress, waning jack, titmouse, nothing. I work my way down a road where I have some meadow fields that butt up to some raw desert. I park the FJ in a little canal drop and pop up over the fence and start calling. I start with female howls, then female short barks, then titmouse, then at 8.5 minutes, I go to fox distress. Here comes two dogs hauling towards me at about 800 yds away. I get them where I want them, and drop a 28lb female. She required another 204 hit so when I got to the other, she was on afterburners. This dog was the lightest color I have shot all year:

Lajarafemale.jpg

Here is the view from the dog to my position. I was sitting along the fence line to the left of the small bushes right above the dog on the horizon:

Lajarafemaledogpos.jpg

Went home for dinner after making a few more stands. Next day, I head to some new territory. It was getting breezy so I had to be creative and careful with my stands. I made some stands and heard dogs howl, but no takers.

One one stand, I started my sequence. I get an immediate and local response about 500yds away. I change up the coyote vocalizations and they don't show. I wait some more. At 8 minutes, I change to angry jack and I see two dogs coming in towards me from the direction I heard them. I decide to use my camera/phone instead of my gun and I get four 30second clips of these two dogs trying to figure out what happened. The male was HUGE! I wanted to shoot him so bad. The female was smaller and when she got tired of hanging out, sionce my rifle was pointed in her direction, I gave her a lead injection. She was 24lbs. The male booked quick and I could not get a shot at him. Here she is: (ps: the videos looked terrible on my phone since I had it on low res so I will know better next time.)

Blancafemale.jpg

Here is a shot from my position under the tree. You can't see the dog easily but she popped right up the draw to the right of the small bush before I dropped her:

Blancafemaleshootpos.jpg

I saw about four dogs (a pair and two singles) as I was driving around and the rest of the day, I had no more takers to the call. Next morning, I go out to another area and see three (a pair and a single), but could not get action. It was getting breezy and that became tough where I was hunting. I ended up stopping and working my way back to Az.

Along the way, on the Navajo res, I make about five stands. On one, I started with female invite, then moved into princess bird. Then, I go to baby goat and here come two dogs trying to wind me. It was windy as heck today so as I size up the situation, I move to anticipate the dogs nect appearance and one pops his head up. I take a shot and see the dog do the dance so I try to shoot what little body I can see spinning around just below the little hill she crested. I shoot again and then after going into pup distress and waiting, no more action. I go to look for my dog and it was gone! Oh well.

So that is about it for now. I had a great time and am so anxious to stop hunting. I am tired! And so is my wallet!!! I have one more post to make with some other kills I have made but that will be another time and my last post for the season. Blessings to all you hard core dog dudes!

Great write up! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Glad you had some better luck than I did down there this weekend. We where hunting the farms and where getting some vocal responses, but only one taker that we didn't get a shot at. But two weekends ago we called in dogs 50% of the stands, go figure. On the last stand of the evening saw a field get invaded by at least 75 jack's, never seen so many rabbits in my life. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I would like to hunt some of that country in your last pic instead of the chico/ farm field country, looks nice.

I will second the great write up. I like to see the perspective from hunter and animal. Looks like a great place for calling the coyotes. Good looking fur also.

I'm trying to figure out where you were at from the pics, but I'm drawing blanks. lol... The second pic, is that Del Norte peak way off in the distance? I'm not even going to venture a guess on the rest of the places you were calling.

Looks like you had a good time my friend. (except for getting stuck) oops

Last edited:
Good job FJ! Sounds like one good trip besides getting stuck. I love calling that country besides the blowing wind and snow.

Isn't it crazy how much larger the dogs are from our here in AZ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Don't get me wrong...we get a few big dogs now and then in AZ...but those dogs up there seem larger on average. I know the dogs we shot during xmas up there were a lot larger than the ones i've shot here in AZ this year.

For the curious minds in Co trying to figure out where I was, you are alll good! Yes, Del Norte peak is in the one pic as I was calling between La Jara and Alamosa. The shot with the pinion trees is me on the W side of Mt Blanca. And then the other pic was taken East of the Conejos County Line Road more E of the South River Road looking towards the Sangre's. It is near where the Rio Grande and the Conejos River join!

It was fun! I had no takers from Co to go hunting though but it was still a hoot!

That light colored dog is a beaut. Thanks for the great write ups, FJ. I'll be looking forward to more next year.

tt

Was looking familiar to me to. I kill my elk by Mt Blanca as well. Next year when you're in Colo. let me know and we can hit some country by Walsenburg other side of La Veta pass from the Valley which you probably already knew.

HA! For some reason I had a feeling the pinon pic was somewhere on the West side of Blanca. That country used to be thick with coyotes years ago. Fair numbers of bobcats also. Can you believe all the squatters shacks on the South side of the mountain now? Unbelievable!

What part of the valley did you live in FJ?

Hey FJ, did ya ever try 4 wheelin the road up Mt. Blanca? That road is considered by many, me included, to be the hardest 4X4 trail in CO.... I know your new FJ won't get er done. LOL.

Any of you other Colorado guys ever do the Mt. Blanca trail? Or I should say TRY to do it? hehe

Never did try to climb it, what road are yout aling about? The one that skirts the fenceline on the WSW side or ???

Hey, lay off the FJ buddy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I have never owned anything like it, ever! I had a Rubicon before it and, well, ...now I have an FJ and I'm never going back.

Yep, that would be the right road.

Not knocking your FJ, but I guarantee it wouldn't get to the end of the road. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif That's a fact. I'd pay good money to watch you try though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

oops
LAUGHING !!! (and i mean out loud)
"lay off the fj buddy...i had a rubicon"
i will meet you in la veta next year
we can do a little huntin (partners all the way)
and then
we'll hit the pass
jeep vs fj
let me know
great original post !!!

guero

Woo Hoo! Let's go huntin guero!

All you hard core off road enthusers, easy on the FJ vs Jeep stuff (or F150 versus Ram or bicycle versus walking or...). If we wanted to sling mud, we could join another forum but this isn't it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

That's it. I'm takin my import toys and going home! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back