Remington Quality????

pyscodog

Went to probably one the worst gunshows I've ever been to yesterday, but thats another story. I was looking at some shot guns when I saw this Rem. 870.It was a two barrel set. It came with a slug barrel with a candilever scope mount and a regular shot barrel. I was looking at the slug barrel and noticed the scope mount didn't line up with the centerline of the receiver. It was off to the side about 3/16 of an inch at the back of the mount. Very noticable. He had a second one just like it and it was off center also. Please tell me this isn't normal. The front of the mount seemed centered, it was just running sideways. Is this Remington quality? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Off center "taps" are more common than most people realize. Ask any mfg. of scope rings/bases and they'll tell you. They get calls all the time from people thinking it is their product, when actually it is the factory "taps" that are the culprit. 3/16" is a LOT though.....

Remington should be concerned with the quality and accuracy of their competition. The last Remington I bought is exactly that, my last. While the majority are probably tack drivers after a little tweaking the lemons they produce will be your problem. I know this from personal experience.

I'd soon look at Tikka, Sako or Savage over a Remmy any day.

im glad this topic came up. i've been looking at different rifles and the rems seem to be a bit lower priced than savages, marlins and weatherbys. i've been kind of gun shy of the rems but would like to hear more opinions too.
i must say, i havent had any trouble with the remington ammo or brass

I used to help a friend out in a gun shop, back in the mid to late '90's. We saw Remington's QC on their shotguns decline throughout the '90's in many respects, internal and external finish, chambers being rough, burred or out of round, chokes reamed out of alignment with the bore, shell stops not staked properly. Their Wingmaster quality stayed pretty high, but their Expresses were often POS for one reason or another. Remington doesn't do "inexpensive" well.

If it wasnt for Remington, Leupold wouldnt need to make windage adjustable bases!
(yea I know he said an 870 shotgun but still)

My last of three problem remmys was an LVSF in 223. I paid 660 for it brand new. Then spent another 300 on it trying to get it to shoot, not counting bullets, powder and time. I unloaded it long ago, I wont even pick one up off a counter let alone pay money for it.

If Remingtons are so good why is it Savage, CZ, and Tikka along with semi customs like Cooper and Dakota etc. getting more popular all the time. While Big Green has their head in the sand, the others are making a statement.

HUH.....that reminds me, who was it that did the same thing to Winchester years ago, when they thought they had it licked.

I just bought a Remington sps rifle. To be honest the quality is not that good. I know this rifle is suppose to be inexpensive, but I think they would have at least made the barrel and receiver finish more uniform. At just 430 dollars to varmint hunt I decided to buy. Now I'm looking for the ammo that it likes. So far it doesn't like factory Winchester nor Federal. Got a box of Remington to try next.

Quote:
I just bought a Remington sps rifle. To be honest the quality is not that good. I know this rifle is suppose to be inexpensive, but I think they would have at least made the barrel and receiver finish more uniform. At just 430 dollars to varmint hunt I decided to buy. Now I'm looking for the ammo that it likes. So far it doesn't like factory Winchester nor Federal. Got a box of Remington to try next.

change the stock, i have the same rifle. would not shoot for [beeep] with the factory junk stock. put a B&C on it and now its a tack driver.

Hey guys. This is my first post on here and i don't want to star any arguments, but im going to have to take remington's defense on this one. My duck gun 870 super mag exp. has absolutely been through he** and back many times. Also I purchased a remington model 700 SPS Varmit in .223 caliber. I must say its a tack driver out to 150yds for sure with hornady 55gr V-max. haven't had opportunity to shoot past that yet because of windy days. It feels very solid and good action, not as smooth as i would like but still good.
Not to change subject..what are my options on after market pistol grip stocks for this rifle? Thanks.

I bought the Remington Model 7 Predator in 204 at the start of 2008. Totally unsatisfactory results. I have posted on this gun in the past and will not relive the story. I am in a gun store at least once a week and I have never again even picked up a Remington. With Tikka, Savage, CZ out there at great prices, why bother. On the more expensive my Ruger 204 is a tack driver (when I am on) and the Sakos have never let me down. Looking back, the Remington is the only bad firearm I own.

On the autoloading and pump shotgun side of the equation, Beretta and the Benelli lines (Benelli, Franchi and Stoeger) are, in my opinion far better firearms, although you get to pay a premium for Benelli. I gave my last 11-87 to my nephew and now shoot Beretta and Benelli for waterfowl, upland and trap.

I have always liked the Remington line of products thru the years but this was visable ( the 870 slug barrel) with the naked eye. I have an old 1100 that I was considering trading for the 870 till I saw that. Decided to keep my 1100 and be happy. Do they have Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder doing the Q.C. at Remington now?

Interesting situation. I wonder if this has anything to do with the ownership change going to a holding company rather than being a private company?

Will be interesting to see if Bushmaster and DPMS have the same quality control issues...

Remington has always been known as a reliable "blue collar" gun. 870's and 700's have both gained excellent reputations worldwide with police forces and military for reliability and accuracy........

Remington's QC has been declining for years. There was a time when it was great. I agree that they have been riding on their name a little too long, and it's really begining to show. Saw the same thing with Colt and Winchester. Just my opinion.

Pop

I can't really disagree with that statement. Sako has consistentently put out the most accurate factory rifles for years IMO.....

Of my last 5 Remington bolt guns:

2 are tackdrivers with minor modifications

3 were tore apart immediately never knowing

1 had mis-tapped scope base holes.....

I got my first Remington rifle over 50 years ago, and have had a bunch of Remingtons ever since. Currently, there are a total of 10 Remington firearms in my gun safe. Three are 22's, two are shotguns, and the other five are bolt action centerfire rifles. I have never had one problem with any of them, and can't understand why people are always wanting to dump on Remington. Now, I am sure, that with as many guns as they manufacture each year, that there are going to be some lemons. But, it is that way with other firearms manufacturers, as well. It would not be cost-effective to make a gun today, as the companies could 50 years ago. The time and workmanship, that went into the fit and finish of those guns, would simply cost so much today, tht customers would not pay that much for a factory made gun. However, todays guns, are made out of better materials, and made to tighter tolerances than ever before. I happen to think that this makes them more accurate. From what I read on here, and on other hunting sites, the basis of this argument about Remington, stems from whether Remington, or Savage is the better rifle. I am sure Savage makes some very accurate rifles, at least, that's what everybody says. Well, my Remingtons are accurate rifles too, and so are those of other guys I know. Sure, you may have to tweak them some, as you have to do to almost any rifle to squeeze the best accuracy out of it. I have handled quite a few of the Savages, and personally, I don't like them. The stocks are clunky, the action is rough, and that barrel nut is about the ugliest thing I've ever seen. But, if you like them, then that's great....it's your dollar to spend as you like. And, I suspect that may be the reason some people are running down the Remingtons. Some people will always buy the less expensive product, regardless of what that is, and then proceed to bash the brands that cost more. I guess they do this, in hopes of justifying their purchase. I don't care what brand of firearms you buy, that is your right to buy what you want, but don't get out here and run down a brand that might cost a little more and try to make people believe that brand is not any good. There are far too many of us, that own that brand and use them, that know better. Maybe you can take some of Obama's stimulus money, and upgrade to a Remington....lol.

I think there QC has gone down the tubes.I have owned almost type of Remington firearm in the past and never had any problems.I recently bought a Remington action for a project.My gunsmith has been going crazy trying to straighten it out.Trigger pressure keeps changing,bolt seems very soft in the rear section,firing pin spring as if it is too long.Not happy with there new products.

Back