Will muskrats become extinct?

Mason_Jarr

If I keep this up, there's a good possibility!

Picked up 22 more since Friday. Caught 8 on Saturday and 10 today......I know I should have been in church! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Saturday's

DSC_0009-3.jpg

Today:

DSC_0011-2.jpg

Got 52 in the shed so far with about 2 weeks until I have to pull:

DSC_0013-3.jpg

Hauling them out by the bucketful, now! The weather's warming up and the rats are, too! Had 13 on today's check:

DSC_0001-6.jpg

DSC_0002-6.jpg

The saga WILL continue.......

Quote:
Thanks, Kerry. Muskrats are one of the few furbearers this year that are showing some potential for profit.

Mike

Beaver did fairly well also. I averaged $18 on them.

when i was quite a bit younger we had a mid feb to mid march season here in pa. as the season got near the end we always had a lot of bit up rats due to fighting during the mateing season. do you have that problem there also?

I'm starting to see some with bite marks recently. I'm done on March 7th even though our season runs until the end of the month. I need to get stuff ready for our sale on March 14th and then I'm going on about a 6 or 7 week road trip. It's nice to be retired!

Quote:

You are correct. We just found a decent colony and hope to add some more of those to our take. Muskrats are a lot faster to put up though! Don't you agree?

Quote:
Quote:

You are correct. We just found a decent colony and hope to add some more of those to our take. Muskrats are a lot faster to put up though! Don't you agree?

yep i like starting a muskrat and finishing it in 5 min.

Zach

Muskrats are a lot easier. Sometimes I wonder if the beaver are worth all the work. I trap problem beaver for the fish and game when someone calls so I do quite well on getting them. Gets me access to areas for other critters as well. I am going to go after the rats a little harder next year.

There are animals that pay a lot more than the old muskrat, but, for me, I don't know if there's one that is more fun. It's sure nice to run a line and EXPECT something in almost every set.

DSC_0001-7.jpg

I saw one swimming in the water today while checking traps and I swear he said, "Mercy, mercy....." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yesterday's check put us at 79 rats since we started on Feb 6th. We're pulling traps next weekend on the 7th and hope to break the 100 mark.

I hope your saving some for seed or you'll be lucky to get 10 next season /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif. I know one guy around here that has 10 creeks, he takes 10 rats out of each creek and then pull out. he gets his 100 rats then hits a couple other creeks and ends up with 100+ rats and a few mink also. by doing the 10 rats per creek, he leaves plenty for the following season.

hope your trapping a big marsh and not a creek.

I was wondering how you are trapping them and if you have any tips. I just started trapping this year and would appreciate any info

Back