So? Is the .22 mag worth the money?

Chris_Brice

Here's some numbers I ran based on 3" maximum point blank range (MPBR):

CCI Velocitor: MPBR=104 yards Zero=89 yards 1435/183@muzzle 1110/109@MPBR
CCI Maxi-Mag: MPBR=129 yards Zero=112 yards 1875/312@muzzle 1302/150@MPBR
CCI Maxi-Mag+V: MPBR=137 yards Zero=121 yards 2200/322@muzzle 1320/116@MPBR
CCI Stinger MPBR=111 yards Zero=96 yards 1640/191@muzzle 1130/91@MPBR

Energy wise the Stinger (as expected) brings up the hind end, The Velocitor and the +V are about tied and the Maxi-Mag (again, as expected) is the king. The Velocitor still has almost 3/4 (72.6%) of the energy of the 40gr. Maxi-Mag at their perspective MPBR's.

MPBR spread is only 33 yards.

So, considering that the numbers indicate that the .22 mag is only good for an additional 33 yards.........Why the heck spend the extra money? Talk me into it....

Quote:
I can not speak abbot the numbers but my wifes pre accu trigger savage is deadly accurate.

Of coarse....it's a Savage!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Here's another thought... (must be bored, lol)

With whatever powder combo they used, CCI has increased the velocity of the .22LR by over 20% using a 40gr pill without the pressure becoming "unsafe". Here's what the .22 mag would look like if they did the same with it:

MPBR=154 yards 2300/470@muzzle 1506/201@MPBR

Give us that and we'd finally have a rimfire for predators!!!

Must be a day for dreamin!!!

Typically the Hot 22 longrifle loads are pretty crappy in the accuracy dept. On the other hand the regular CCI maxi mag is moa out of my 22 mag. I also doubt you would get those velocities out of a short barrelled 22 like a Ruger 10-22. I've shot rockchucks well past 200 yards with the Hornady vmax 22 mag loads which are going 2300fps.

What birdbow just said! Those new V-maxs from CCI, Hornady and Remington have changed everything in magnum rimfires. And we finaly got some of the new Winchester 30gr. Supremes in town I'll have to give them a try very soon. ~marco

You lose a lot of down range energy using those 30 grainers. Just look at the Maxi-Mag+Vs. You do gain in the BC dept with those other bullets though. I didn't have the BC's for those so I wasn't able to include them. If you guys can get em for me I'd be like to plug em in.

As far as accuracy for the hot .22lrs go......IMO most of the lack of accuracy is due to the super light bullets. Check the Velocitors(40grs) and see how they are. I've seen chrono results that put them at close to publihed speed from a 10/22.

Accuracy is paramount but that is subject to different rifles no matter if we are talking the LR or the Mag. But I should of done this based on a 2" MPBR instead of 3" because of the intended size of the victims.

Chris, years ago back in 1959 the boys at Winchester wanted to make a rimfire cartridge that would double the range and killing power of the HV 22LR and they did so in the 22 magnum with a true jacketed 40gr. HP. No one would ever say that the 22 mag is a all around better cartridge then the 22LR that would be a dumb thing to say. But that little bit more velocity and killing power is going to cost you and you are the only one that can decide if its worth the extra cost. I love the 22 magnum so I think its worth the money. ~marco

Marco, back in 1959 the 22 mag WAS twice as powerful as the .22LR. Not so today. Not trying do get you too dump your mag off. Just pointing out that they aren't as far apart as one might think and that with equal accuracy the mags range is not leaps and bounds ahead of the .22LR anymore.

I tried finding BC numbers for the V-max and got conflicting info. Hornady's site list a 35gr V-max as having almost an identical BC of .109 (bad, about equal to a 30gr. RNHP). My BC calculator spits out a BC of .140 for a 30gr/.224 spitzer which makes more sense.

I won't bore everyone with the details but I re-ran the numbers based on a 2" MPBR. Nothing changed much between the CCI rounds. Still had a 34 yard spread (91-125 yard MPBR). I ran the v-max with the revised BC and the 2" MPBR was only 5 yards more at 130.

Where I did discover the advantage of the V-max .22 Mags was when you leave the MPBR behind. At 200 yards the v-max only drops 10.5" and is still carrying almost as much energy (109lbs) as a .22LR Mini-Mag at the muzzle (125lbs). This definitely makes it a 200 yard gopher round which no .22LR will touch. The Velocitor comes close though. It carries almost as much energy at it's 2" MPBR (91 yards, 114lbs) as the Mini-Mag at the muzzle. And drops 10.7" at 145 yards only 55 yards behind the V-Max Mag. Also at 145 yards it is only lacking 9lbs of energy. Making the Velocitor a legitimate 150 yard gopher round. Only 30 yards behind the "traditional" 40gr HP Mag's.

As was already pointed out. This is all based off equal accuracy. No matter how powerful your cartridge, If you're shooting 5" groups at a 2" target you need to do something else.

In my experience the .22 Mag shows significantly more killing power on real animals in the field. I have killed a ton of stuff including ground squirrels, prairie dogs, squirrels, cottontails, and jackrabbits with both (mainly w/Stingers in the LR, only 40 grain jacketed HP's in the WMR). The .22 mag simply makes more chunks fly and provides a more satisfying "WHOP" noise on impact. To me it is worth the extra money.

On the other hand, as cheap as rimfires are anyway, one should have both...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As far as the .17's go, I don't feel that they are worth the extra $$$.

I love my wmr. It is great for small varmint hunting and If a larger gun is not available it will do the trick on a coyote to about 125 yards with a 40 gr HP.

Unfortunantly my mag is very ammo picky and sprays all the 30 grain stuff.

It shoots remington 40 gr HP into 1 ragged hole at 50 yards.

I like the better trajectory . Out to 100 I just hold it dead on. The 22lr you have to compensate more for trajectory.

IMHO 22lr and 22 mag both have their place. The mag is too much for small critters your going to eat unless you get a head shot. Its also too expensive for lots of plinking.

so if your into varmints and hunting mostly get the mag.I notice it really puts the hurt on jacks compared to 22lr.

if your looking for a edible small game setup and want to plink alot then 22lr could be better for you.

Back