Which factory ammo has best reloadable brass? 223Rem

huntnfish08

This has probably been covered before but a search didn't turn up quite what I was looking for.

I want to find a factory load that shoots well in my rifle. I know I will have to try a few different boxes to find what works. Once I find a bullet that shoots well I will buy 250-500 rounds. Then reload it.

So what company has the best reloadable brass in a factory loaded cartridge?

Keep in mind that I will want a starting factory load that is a good coyote round. 60gr and under, NON FMJ.

Adam

Black Hills 223 was LC brass when I used to buy it.

Why not buy new brass and just start reloading now? You'll save lots of money starting with the first shot.

250 rounds of relatively inexpensive Hornady 223 ammo @ $17/box is $300 plus tax/shipping.

IF you can find it in stock.

250 rounds of quality 223 hunting reloads costs me roughly $75 total, using Hornady Vmax bullets and Winchester brass.

Not even CLOSE to the cost of "cheap" factory hunting ammo! Plus my reloads are better quality and more accurate. Buying factory ammo is like raping your wallet.

IF YOU DO BUY LOADED, be sure it's from the same lot number or the brass may/will be different .AND THAT will make it tougher to get good loads with different lots lof brass.Lapua, Nosler,Norma...those first then for me winchester....because it useally can be loaded hotter as it has[in my experences] had more internal volume.

I may just pick up all the components and start loading then. Like you pointed out, I can save enough reloading 250 rounds to pay for the reloading equipment.

With that settled, anyone have any tips for reloading .223 for a CZ 527? Anything to avoid, or recommend?

Adam

I run H-335 too, but if I was starting from scratch and looking for a new load, I would be trying Benchmark. It's as easy to work with as H-335 and suposedly not as temperature sensative. I don't know how the velocities compare without a book in front of me.

My most accurate prairie dog stomping load is:

Nosler 50g Bal. Tip.
26.5g of H-335 [work up to this]
Remington 7 1/2 primer
seated .005 off the lands.

Haven't shot a coyote with this load but it tore up a Bobcat pretty bad. Hit bone.

It vaporizes prairie dogs and that's what I use it for.

yep thats a warm load in mine too , I also run a little hot in my 223 ackley in 40x barrel and man it shoots . You might like BR2015 , I used a lot of it in BR years ago.AND YES , I USE nothing but REM 7 1/2's harder cups keep pressure going forward if you know what I mean.....lol...

Last edited:
Back