I'm having bad luck!!!!

Jstrosnider

Guys I don't know what's going on. It seems I have no problem finding where these coyotes are traveling and hanging around but I just can't seem to catch em when they are home. Went out this evening to a new area where there has been a pack hanging around but apparently that don't seem to have an appetite or somebody has educated these guys and oh when I got to the area I was gonna hunt I noticed a vehicle up the road I took it to be some hikers.. I've tried some cottontail, jackrabbit, a variety of howls the ol Ki-Yi and nothing seems to wanna show. This evening I had what I thought was a perfect set up. A nice big field with some cedar trees here and there all through out the field, I was up high with the sun at my back and wind going from left to right, i was even sitting in a shady spot. Apparently they are filling their belly's with some turkeys or something. That's about the only distress call I haven't used yet. I don't have it on my ecaller so I guess I'm gonna have to learn it by mouth. I found lots of sign where I was at to this evening but oh well I'll have to give it a go some other day. I talked to a couple other guys and they are just shootin em up in different areas. I wish some of their luck would rub off on me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Hey man i feel your pain. Me and my bro probably have well over 60 stands since we started a year ago. I have I'd say atleast 2000 acres to hunt on all together and i have real good sign at every location but just can't draw them in no matter what sounds we use. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif What realy ticks me off is that I learned the other day that on one portion of property that I would have never thought to hunt, a few rabbit hunters had their dogs out runin and it was just enough to pull a coyote out of a small tree line and they popped it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif But i keep at it. One day i'll come across a coyote as stupid as me. Good luck in the future!

I did thirty stands from my first one 1/4/09 to my second on 2/16/09. I shot a cherry 2/21/09 going into a stand. I will post story and pic shortly on Calling in the East.

I hear ya buddy,My partner and I are in the same boat have not had much action.We have one particular piece of property that has sign everywhere,we found a spot where a turkey had been killed recently and scat everywhere.Guess what we tried yesterday morning... distressed gobbler thought maybe a different sound might change things. We did see about 25 turkeys when we called it quits.All we can do is let it rest and try again another day.Sooner or later we will find a dumb one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!

Welcome to the "Eastern Predator Hunting Club." Ha ha. Anyone who lives in the East can tell you that predators here usually don't come easy. That doesn't mean that you can't get them, because you can. It just takes more work. Hang in there, you'll score sooner or later. Just rememer to have fun along the way. Then, we all want some good photos.

Last edited:
We changed up a bit. We only hunt fields at night and in the day light we try to us them as a break or funnel. We were just not pulling them into the fields. Also, time of day we hunt. We try to use fields and swamp edges and ridge lines as funnels. Try to watch the back door, down wind is where one of you needs to be. Change up the sounds also, this new sound Dan has down loaded (Estrus Chirps and soem Female Whimpers) on to his FoxPro was just the ticket we need to get one Friday. Don't get lazy think first act later. Look around first before you sit down.

We are looking and planning before we are acting. Hunt them, just don't try to call them. Use all your tools. We have WT callers, FoxPro caller, and hand calls. I have four on my lanyard.

Yes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Be PATIENT.

We called ten stands before we scored.

Quote:
Anyone who lives in the East can tell you that predators here usually don't come easy.

Well said!

Highwaystar

I use red fox urine to help mask scent. Getting coyotes ina field this time of year now in the east is most likely not going to happen. They are preparing dens and mating. Get in just after sun up in the woods. I use a red fox killing a cottontail in distress call. Works great as well as the deeper toned jack rabbit and fawn bawl.
Fawn bawl especially if you have deep snow around!

Hang in there.......We were figuring today .....takes us sometimes around 60-70 stands per shot opportunity.
Sucks but sometimes that is just how it is.

Don't get discouraged. They are tough. If they were easy everyone would be after them. It takes a special, very dedicated hunter to continue to persue these very challenging animals. The rewards are worth it. Just look at any photo of a hunter holding up a coyote. On his face will be this great big grin!! Hopefully you will be posting such a photo soon!!

Jim

I use Fresh Earth cover scent on my clothes the I spray some red fox urine around my decoy and caller. I usually place a scent wick above me dowsed with red fox urine as well.. I also keep my Primos Hot Dog Howler, Primos Ki Yi, rabbit squaller, remote for my caller, my close range squeaker on my lanyard as well. Does anyone have or tried the Knight and Hale 2 in 1 Predator caller. It's a squeezable style bird in distress caller. I bought one a couple of years ago and the first time I went out and tried it brought a yote in after 15 seconds of calling with it but haven't had any luck since.

I'm a little discourage but thats how hunting goes. Your right if it was easy everyone would be doing it. I wish I could do a little hunting during the week but with work I'm not able to. Hopefully the weather will cooperate this coming weekend and I'll have a little luck. I wish we would get some snow here, everytime we've gotten snow it's been the beginning of the week and by the weekend it was gone.

Back