1 rifle for woods bummin?

Chris_Brice

I feelin the need to boost the economy with some of the refund $$ that the government has seen fit to bestow on me. The only problem is I don't NEED a new gun. Here's what I WANT:

A fast shooting, fast handling, walking around varmint gun that can be used on any critter, up to and including coyote, that seems fit to show himself out to 100-150 yards. Rabbit, squirrel, coon, fox, opossum, ground hog, coyote, etc. Deer are out and we don't have bear. $300 +/- "used" would be nice.

What I DON'T want: any .17 rimfire, mini 14, sks, or similar guns.

One of my 10/22s? (Not as much range as I want)

A semi-auto or lever .22 mag? (not a "good" coyote gun and not leaps and bounds over over CCI 22lr Velocitors IMO)

A lever 30/30? (Not gonna shoot any tree game with this!)

Didn't someone make a lever gun in 218 Bee or 22 hornet? Be nice to find one of those for $300-400.

Ideas?

I was bitten by the same bug recenty, ran into a Win 275 22WMR. It's a pump or "slide action" with a really short stroke. Got it for $200 and I'm happy with it. Haven't shot it much yet but lan on feeding it quite a bit of different ammo types to see what it likes. I was wanting a semi but couldn't bring myself to pay the prices asked. Taurus makes a pump too and then Henry offers the lever. I'd have bought either of them if I'd ran into them first.
If you take the coyote out of the equation, a 17HMR might be what you are needing. There are lots more options available then.

peace.
unloaded

Unloaded: Never heard/seen one of the 275's before. Looked it up on gunbroker. Me thinks I'd have a hard time walkin away from one of those for $200. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CH: I've thought about the M1 Carbine in the past but had forgotten about them. Glad you brought it up. I still get ticked off when I see em going for $500 and up. And then kick myself for not picking one up in the last 80's/early 90's when they were $150! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I'll keep my eues peeled for them at the gun show tommarow. Allthough I will add: if I was gonna spend that much I know where I can pick up a Marlin .44 for $460 otd. Wife will KMA if I spend that much though.

How about a nice little Lever Gun in 357Mag.
Hard to beat a lever for fast handling, and easy carrying...
Pluss they're just plain cool..

Should be able to find a Marlin in your price range,, and 357 ammo is as available as any these days..

Good Luck

Oh Yea,,, the 25/20's a cool round that would fill the bill too,, but ammo's iffy... There is brass and dies around though..
Then there's the 5mm mag,,,, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Last edited:
I was going to suggest the .357 as well, ive taken alot of cottontails with the .38spcl wadcutters, not alot of damage at all.

Maybe you need a handgun, good to pack around the woods, holster would keep your hands free for other things.

Magnum research and taurus make a .22 hornet revolvers, and Taurus makes a 218 bee revolver as well, or at least they did at one time or another

Contenders are always fun, maybe not as fast shooting as you want, but I love mine have .22, .22mag and the hornet in 10" barrels and they are just great, I also have the 410 barrel wich is great fun. right now most custom barrel makers have their stub sales on so you can get a custom barrel for around 150-180 bucks. and should be able to pick up a used barrel and frame for pretty reasonable.

Good luck

Dave

RP, I've been wanting a .357 lever for a long time now. Would prefer one over either the 30/30 or .44. 2 problems: They are rare as hens teeth around here and priced $500 on up when you find em. Makes me cuss. Already reload .357 too boot. Also reload .32 mag and have dies/brass/ammo for the 30/30. Just getting tired of reloading.

[used]AK-47. If you've never owned one. Then you owe it to yourself.
Thump...thump...thump...ect...ect.[30 shot clip mandatory].

Alot of options out there used, but I have a mossberg 640 chuckster bolt action .22 mag. Not real special or pricey, but the drag gun I always reach for. .22 mag is way under rated with all the new hype on .17 HMR and hot rod 22LR loadings. The .22 mag still rules. Pick one up and give it a wuerl.

Wow....

LAst lever 25/20 I looked at was a Winchester 92 that was priced at about $2400....

I would choose a Ruger 77/22 Hornet (without considering price) to be exactly what you want. Unfortunately they run around $500-600.

But, I have seen some used older Savage .22 Hornets at $300-400. Fun gun and right at what you want in performance.

I figure it won't be long before Marlin comes out with a Model 1894 in 327 Federal magnum. It would seem ideal for such applications. They already have them in 32 H&R mag, which is a cool little cartridge.....

I usually use this Rem 7 204 as my bummin' around gun lately. It ain't much to look at, but it shoots real nice and is a joy to carry.......

100_0023.jpg

100_0024.jpg

Someone made a 32 H&R mag lever action if my memory serves me right. Although you are asking alot of just one cartridge, this one would be close. The H&R round will get close to 38 Special in power. Just shoot the 32 S&W or 32 S&W long for the small stuff.

It is a nifty little round. I have one in a Ruger pistol. Killed a PD out in Colorado with the 32 S&W long ammo.

32SWLPD.jpg

just for fun I did some surfin about and taurus made a levergun in the 32mag, the m32c, Ive seen it on a few sites for 290-300ish

the other is the marlin, but 600+ for those.

Dave

Last edited:
Romanian ak74 5.54 x39 close to or better then a 223. weather will not stop em, accurate within 100 yds for coyote, good to 200. Great compact shooter. Handle one some time. Very nice. Light, fast compact, indesructible ,with the scope rail and mount you can mount optics or remove them quickly. If more people tried them they would like them. Hetzer

I have a Browning lever action (Model 53, copy of Winchester 53 Delux - a Winchester 92 variant) in 32-20 that is perfect for this niche.

Quote:
I feelin the need to boost the economy with some of the refund $$ that the government has seen fit to bestow on me. The only problem is I don't NEED a new gun. Here's what I WANT:

A fast shooting, fast handling, walking around varmint gun that can be used on any critter, up to and including coyote, that seems fit to show himself out to 100-150 yards. Rabbit, squirrel, coon, fox, opossum, ground hog, coyote, etc. Deer are out and we don't have bear. $300 +/- "used" would be nice.

What I DON'T want: any .17 rimfire, mini 14, sks, or similar guns.

One of my 10/22s? (Not as much range as I want)

A semi-auto or lever .22 mag? (not a "good" coyote gun and not leaps and bounds over over CCI 22lr Velocitors IMO)

A lever 30/30? (Not gonna shoot any tree game with this!)

Didn't someone make a lever gun in 218 Bee or 22 hornet? Be nice to find one of those for $300-400.

Ideas?

Chris Sorry for all the people that can't comprehend a thing they read. It was clear to me what you want!! The little Ruger 77/22 Hornet seems to fit the bill for you. I Bought one for the same reason as yours. it is now a dandy little rifle, after replacing the Barrel, trigger, reworking the bolt, free floating the barrel and bedding the impossible, a Ruger stock. Finally a .260 group @ 100 yds.shooter. Find one for a reasonable price and over the course of 7 years as I did (spending on a budget)you will have a real dandy rifle for what you want. Don't really have a clue what else would fit the bill for ya though! seems you are looking for exactly the same thing as I was! Good Luck! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Back