Staking down traps!

Depending on the terrain drags work pretty good. Usually the critter will head for cover. If you have any trouble finding it give your dog a try. Most any dog owned by a trapper knows the drill & the game your after. It does not have to be of the 'hound' type. In some locations it is better if the critter hops out of sight anyway. A 2 prong drag on a 6-8 ft chain usually won't go far at all, there are some exceptions. While not every location is ideal for a drag it's nice to have the option available.

Yeah drags ar invaluable to me when I road trap. Far too many theives and people who want to "help" me by killing the yote with bird shot or his .06 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I have been very busy but plan on boiling my new traps this weekend, I boiled and dyed and waxed my first set, do I need to dye them if there new?

Quote:
I have been very busy but plan on boiling my new traps this weekend, I boiled and dyed and waxed my first set, do I need to dye them if there new?

No die wont work on new traps. I just tryed that matter of fact the wax didnt work as well on the new as it dose on rusty traps. im going to let the rest of mine rust a little

Quote:

just clean, wax and let them rust in the ground while being used, then next time you clean them, you can dye them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif,

if ya want your traps to rust fast, put them out in a patch of tall grass and let the dew and sun do the rusting, it will normally take a few days to get a good covering on them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif.

My stakes are Muffin made...
get a big ol' stick of 3/4" rebar..cut'em to about 18"-20" inches, 45 the ends (easier driving), make a loop with the top of rebar put the swivel in the loop, bend the loop a bit so the swivel can't release...

really i just wanted to post something since Mr. Erwin is hiding over here too stuck up say hi anywhere else... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Last edited:
A lot of good ideas here. I use 30 inch cut, 1/2 inch, beet rod(hardened steel). Weld a heavy flat washer at the top of the rod, then slide another heavy flat washer up from the bottom, then a heavy duty connecting link slid up under that loose washer, then another loose washer up under the connecting link then another heavy duty washer below that with 1/2 inch gap and welded to the rod from the bottom side. The traps are fixed with double swivels and about 10 inches of chain total. Haven't lost a coyote yet with THIS configuration and I trap some fairly sandy stuff. The bottom welded washer prevents the coyote from jacking the stake out of the ground. 30 inches plus 10 inches gives me 40 inches of resistance on even the highest jumpers. My 2cts worth...

Thanks for the help everyone, I have made up 20" long x 1/8" cable with loops crimmped on both ends. I am going around a tree or fence post and back into the loop to cinch around the post and then have steel ring that clips to the last link of the trap. I have only 2 stakes left of my first four traps. I've boiled and waxed everything and the cows are starting to calve, it should get pretty interesting the next few weeks. I'll keep ya posted!!

Try going with a longer chain if You are having Your stakes pulled out, with a longer chain the animal You are trapping can not stand on their hind legs an pump the stake out, coyotes are good at this, also when traped and they jump or run and hit the end of the chain it will pull the stake at a 90 degree angle to the ground. I hope this helps. good luck.

well I'm done for the year I had gone to the cable and it had worked I think till of course I checked the traps after rebaiting them on wed. and I have one gone again. We were using a 1/8th inch cable with two loops crimed. then around the tree and back through one loop. I used some key chain rings to connect the cable and the trap. GONE!!! I cant even believe it. Could a coytote stretch that ring apart, what happend? I use a Duke #2 with that ring and cable? Need help for next year. And I HATE COONS TOO!!!!!

Bullet stakes and Pogos with quick clips
DSCF1351-1.jpg

Back