bobcat pelt prices?

huntinaz

Ok, A fella told my dad that a bobcat pelt could fetch like $1400. Long story but supposedly a guy who traps near the jobsite where my dad works told the caretaker of the place that is what he's getting, and the caretaker told my dad, who then told me to shoot a bobcat. I would love to bag a cat, but I just don't believe that I could get anywhere near that amount for a pelt. I figure you gents would probably be able to give me a better estimate. Thanks.

Yea, if it was someones pet and had a gold collar on it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You might be lucky to see $200-$400 on a good year. However, from my understanding, we just don't know what happening this year with bobcat pelts.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Yeah, I figured. That is still steep though, is that for a finished pelt? Oh well, I'm gonna pop one if I can anyway. One of these days...

Dont expect more than $200 this year unless it is a top quality cat. Then you may see $400 but dont expect it. Last year was a good year. There were some $1000 cats but not this year.

Quote:
Ok, A fella told my dad that a bobcat pelt could fetch like $1400. Long story but supposedly a guy who traps near the jobsite where my dad works told the caretaker of the place that is what he's getting, and the caretaker told my dad, who then told me to shoot a bobcat. I would love to bag a cat, but I just don't believe that I could get anywhere near that amount for a pelt. I figure you gents would probably be able to give me a better estimate. Thanks.

Record high for a single bobcat hide, case skinned and stretched, last year (2008 season) was $1,180.00. Again, this was a record setting price for a single Bcat.

a decent Arizona cat this year will be lucky to fetch 150 bucks

The best cats for the most part are from Nevada or Utah and there average this year will be around 250 bucks with very few coming close to 500 most will be in the 250-350 range in these prime areas

Just out of curiousity what makes them prime pelts? I assume fur quality, but I would think colder midwest states would produce better fur than say nevada anyway. The last two coyotes I've shot down here in the desert lacked both color and thickness.

Quote:
Just out of curiousity what makes them prime pelts? I assume fur quality, but I would think colder midwest states would produce better fur than say nevada anyway. The last two coyotes I've shot down here in the desert lacked both color and thickness.

Elevation and genetics. Cats seem to be a product of their environment. High desert cats produce the bellies and fur. Midwest cats tend to be flatter,rabbit backed with washed bellies.

the buyer i use was only paying $5 to $80 for cats, he said nobody was wanting kansas cats this year, a friend of mine knows a kid in oregon, he said they got $900 for a finished blue cat this year, anyone else heard this from oregon?

Last edited:
i find 900 hard to believe....

and yes.. the kansas price is down this year....

i sold 3 last week... green

averaged 50 on them.. they were late caught and small

Back