6.5x55/Scan reloading dies ????

skeetlee

Guys i bought a set of used 6.55x55 reloading dies here a few weeks ago. I got the dies in the mail and the label on the box reads. 6.5x55/Scan. I did a bit of research but didnt come up with much. Whats the deal with these dies? I thought i was buying a set of dies for a 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser. I deleted the sellers contact info, so i cant get any info from him. I was thinking about buying a CZ chambered in 6.5x55 thus the reason i bought these dies. Will these dies work or am i out of luck here? The dies are Hornady and the things are in not so good condition anyway (I wasn't aware of this) so if i am out of luck, so be it! But i would like to know if these dies will work for the CZ rifle or are they something completely different? Thanks Lee

I was just looking at the hornady web site and it appears that Hornady doesnt even make these dies anymore. They have a 6.5x55 swed listed but not the 6.5x55/Scan. These dies have some age to them. The box also reads Custom grade new dimension dies. My brand new set of Hornady dies read the same but also says that they have a new zip spindle design. I dont know what i got myself into here? Help if you can, Lee

The 6.5x55/Scan is a European cartridge with the same body as the 6.5x55/Swed, but a slightly longer neck.

When Hornady tried to sell 6.5x55 dies in Europe, the Proof house would not approve them, so they made a slightly longer neck and marked them to 6.5x55/Scan... and had no problems - the body is the same and they will load 6.5x55 Swed just fine.

The "Zip" spindles are fairly new - maybe 3-ish years??

Back