17 Ackley Hornet/ Tell me more please

pyscodog

This sound like a cool little cartridge. Tell me more please. Never owned a Hornet(yet), but this 17 Ack. has got my interest up. What would be the best action/barrel combo? I see the Rugers with the heavy barrels and they are nice looking. Just not sure I want a Ruger.

Pyscodog

I'd heard bad things about Ruger hornets, although it could be complete bs. CZ makes a nice hornet and Remington imports their 799 in hornet as well. You'd probably have an easier time getting into 17 fireball since you can use any .223 based action for the build.

If you get a Ruger, then have a custom 17 AH installed with zero freebore, you will have a whale of a rifle. Anyone that has put a custom barrel on a Ruger in 17 AH will tell you they shoot extremely well.

I have a custom TC and had a Kimber Model 25 in 17 AH, they are amazing cartridges.

If you are going to shoot coyotes, I would opt for the 22 Hornet in CZ, then have the chamber reemed to the K hornet.

Browning Micro hunters in 22 Hornet are all but impossible to find, and when you do find one, they are the price of the Ruger with the custom 17 AH barrel installed.

My recomendation would be to find a Browning Micro hunter and have Bob Green build one for you. Bob built a .17 AH for me last spring and it is fun to shoot. The gun is a great shooter. I used a 1:9 Lilja barrel that is contoured to the factory barrel. They should have the specs on file. My second choice would be to use the CZ. I know that Bob has done a few using the CZ. I don't like the box magazine or the backwards safety that is why I went with the Browning. The Brownings are hard to find and expensive but worth the it.

I second the Browning Micro Hunter nomination, great rifle. The CZ would be my next choice for the conversion.

But which ever way you go, have Bob Green of York PA do the gunsmithing on it. He is a man of his word and he knows his business.

I can respond to the 17AH part of the question as I have and shoot two of them. Mine are strictly PD rifles used at no greater than 250 yds. Absolute joy!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

The 17 AH is a SUPER little cartridge ! It's pretty easy to get 3800 fps with 2o grain bullets and only 12.5 grains of powder .
I have 2 of them , One is a Contender Carbine and the other is a Cooper . Both of them shoot well . The little contender carbine is probably my all time favorite groundhog rifle for smaller farms where the shots are usually under 250 yards .

P7250004.JPG

I have found www.saubier.com/forum.html to have a ton of info on the 17AH. That would be the place to do a search on the little 17. You will get a weekends worth of reading and load data. Good guys on that forum as well. But be careful! They will help you spend your money quicker than the guys on this forum.

Adam

Quote:
I have found www.saubier.com/forum.html to have a ton of info on the 17AH. That would be the place to do a search on the little 17. You will get a weekends worth of reading and load data.

+1,,,, Searching for the 17Hornet over there should produce the same volume of opinions as the "HMR" or "Barrel Break In" topics do over here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brian,,,,, I'm not much of a Contender guy,,, but that is one sweet looking rig. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
Looks like she shoots pretty good too...

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing,"not much of a Contender guy", but man that's a nice rifle. I'd love to shoot it. The 17AH is one I've always wanted to put together just for sh & grins, but I doubt that'll happen for quite a while now with work the way it is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I have a Ruger Heavy barrel (more a medium barrel IMO) in Target grey 77/22 that was rebarreled at Pac Nor to 17AH. As Ackleyman stated I have never talked to anyone who has done the Ruger and not had a shooter. I talked to several people who had them before doing mine. Get it zero freebore. I wouldn't be afraid of the Ruger and it is hard to beat the magazine. Some require slight modification but mine shot without any. Go to Saubier.com as suggested and do a search on 17AH. Mine will put three rounds in a cloverleaf and that is 17 cal holes and they are fireform loads to boot! Easily a sub 1/2" gun. The CZ's a nice conversion and the brownings sound like a nice rifle if you like them. Lot's of stories of people having problems with the 77/22 Hornet but I have yet to hear of anyone having problems with one after rebarreling it to 17AH.

Last edited:
Had my 17AH out in the rat fields today! It was a little windy this morning and then it went quiet after lunch. That's when the little 17 came out. Not a great shooting day, but it whacked a couple dozen in 1 1/2 hours.

Quote:
Hummmm. Y'all got me thinkin. Anyone have a pic of a loaded cartridge?

17calibers.jpg

Not a loaded round,,, but use your imagination...

17Hornet.jpg

17AH, .20 Killer Bee, .20 VarTag, .20 Tactical, 204 Ruger
DSCF4093.jpg

My Ruger 17AH rebarreled by Pac Nor with a 22" fluted barrel
DSCF4092.jpg

DSCF3872.jpg

And a Fox Load using Hornady 25gr HP I got from Pruson. Very mild, it is loaded down to go in and not come out but gives you an idea of accuracy from a 77/22 that has been rebarreled. It is a 1 inch dot.

Last edited:
Quote:
I was thinking the same thing,"not much of a Contender guy", but man that's a nice rifle. I'd love to shoot it. The 17AH is one I've always wanted to put together just for sh & grins, but I doubt that'll happen for quite a while now with work the way it is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Thanks for the compliments guys ! That isn't really a great picture , the rifle looks even better in person .

If yuo guys ever make it to Northeastern Ohio , you are welcome to shoot it !

jdunham,

What bullet went with the 10.0 grains of N120?

'Nice Ruger set up.

** edit note ** Noticed your edit on the bullet, thanks

Last edited:
Had to edit it again Pullit. Correct bullet is the Hornady 25gr HP. Had used load info from the wrong 17AH. My Cooper likes the Bergers.

Back