Anschutz Hornet

RustyCJ8

Looking through the usual gun auction sights when I happened upon an Anschutz in .22 Hornet. Looked like a nice little gun but I have never run across one before and would like your views on these. Thanks, Dave

Probably a very nice rifle. Haven't seen many Anny's that weren't. My buddy Hip-shot has one in HMR that shoots really good, I had one in 22LR and sold it. Big mistake.

I owned a Model 1730 in 22 hornet. Rifle required some work to shoot really well. I had to float the barrel channel, bed the action and 2" of barrel channel and do a trigger job.

The thing that I really could not get used to was the safety on the left hand side of the rifle.

Mike.

I have an older .22mag with really nice wood , its a shooter.Anschutz are first class, there has been a lot of Olympic history made w/Anschutz rifles.I had an MS 5418 heavy rifle for sillywett.

Hi , ive owned an anschutz 22 hornet with full stock and double set triggers, beautiful rifle, really well made and accurate. I sold it to buy a 220 swift and the only reason i let it go was cos of the harsh firearms rules in place at the time which pretty much stopped you from holding more than one rifle.

Jack this was in Ireland, things have pretty much eased up since that time and nowadays the irish police will let you keep several rifles, but back during the troubles it was a pain to let you have more than one rifle, I f it had been possible i would have kept that anschutz hornet believe me.

I have an Anschutz 1730 that's a tack driver with hand loads. With Lilgun powder, Win small pistol primers, and 40gr. Sierra Blitzkings seated long enough that it takes a small trick to load in magazine, it will average 3/8 inch at 100yds.

Joe

I have a HB version in .22 Hornet. Trigger is truly a work of art on this rifle and it shoots pretty well. Funny thing though, I have a CZ 527 pencil bbl that will out shoot it and you could buy 3 or 4 of them for what my Anschutz cost! Still think about that every time I shoot it! LOL!!!

Welcome aboard. Good having a new member posting here.
One thing no one can deny, and that is the Anschutz triggers are in a class by themselves, at the top of the totem pole. I especially like their 5018 traigger on their 22 Rimfire Silhouette rifles.

What size bullet is the Anschutz bored for, the .223 of the .224? It is my understanding that Brownings and some European guns are bored to the smaller size. My Savage M40 is .224.

The Anschutz is bored .223. I tried all "Hornet" bullets in both 223 and 224 without deciding on one or the other. The Sierra Bitzkings proved to be the most accurate which is a 224 diameter. The 40gr NBTs does good but with flyers.

My CZ 527 in 221 Fireball also prefers the 40gr Blitzkings over the NBTs.

Joe

Back