I tracked down a cougar in the mts yesterday!

Well done! It a rare feat to "walk down a cat".Did she have a kill near by? Some of the guys around here find kills,and walk the cats down off the kill. With a full belly sometimes they find the cat fairly close.

Duane,
No kill. I'm sure that this was her daytime home. There were prints all over the hillside for 50 yds all directions. Also, there was cat scat in two or three places that I noticed. She was as thin as a rail. No fat even in her tail when I skinned her. She has a bigger head and body than my 1st cat and it weighed 115 lbs, she weighed in at 90 lbs on a empty tummy. She would have made it through the winter this year, but I don't think next winter would be very kind to her.
Snag

90 lbs on a totally empty stomach. She was skinny from lack of food. Some of her molars where broken and her front teeth between the incisors were missing or worn to the gum line. she was a very hungry cat.

snag point
Took me awhile to respond, but I was very happy to help you get the cat down to your rig..wouldn't have missed it for anything..'twas a good day.
Congrats ..few people catch up to a cougar on foot.

Welcome "Blues." The "guys" around here really know there stuff and are more than willing to give a hint or two. Great site.
Snag point

snag point great story. Markts and i arre calling cougar in the morning. snowing now. heading to the coast about 5:00 am. hope your felling well. i have killed one cougar dog's in 93 9 year old 119 pound's. called 7 in and havnt killed while calling. do to get one soon. take care. Rick

Back