25-06 ackley improved

Wywolfer

As a first time poster on this site,I wanted to say hello and If anyone has any info or pet loads for the 25-06 ackley improved i would love to hear them.I just purchased a Model 70 and have it at the gun smith getting the reamer put to it.I also bought a Hogue stock to complete the transtion to coyote stomper.

Wywolfer,

Welcome aboard. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
This is an excellent Forum for asking questions, and just hanging out. Lots of great posts by guys who have experiences I don't have, so I learn from them.

Martyn

Wywolfer, how long a barrel are you going to put on the AI? Since the 25-06 already uses a lot of slow burning powder to do its best work, adding more powder, without adding more barrel length could be a moot point. I have one 25-06 with a 27" barrel, and can run 100 gr. out of it over 3600 fps. I'm thinking if I did an AI, I'd want at least another inch of barrel. And then I'd be careful about shooting prone...might start grass fires!

Welcome to the Ackley Club!

When fire forming use standard 25-06 load data and seat the bullets well into the lands. Seating the bullets this way will give you a well fire formed case and eliminate case bulge at the head. This is what I have done on my 280AI and works very well.

As far as loading for the 25-06 AI data is very limited as it is for most AI calibers. I started with 4 to 5% over parent cartridge load data and watched for pressure signs. Normal pressure signs like primer flatening are harder to see for AI cartridges because the straight wall design does not put as much presssure back to the bolt face. Use a chronograph if you have one. Pay attention to sticky bolt lift, and primer pockets getting bigger after only a couple of firings, either is a sign you should back off a little.

I would call Paul (forgot his last name) at Sierra Ballistics (800) 223-8799. Of course tell him you are planning on shooting some of the Sierra bullets. Paul shoots a 25-06 AI and the 22-250 AI. Paul is a real nice guy and I am sure he will share some load info.

Good Luck

I have a 25-06A.I. with a Lilja 3-Groove 1-10" 26 inch barrel. I haven't done alot of cronographing with the gun the whole time I've owned it.

But I have shot good groups with the following bullets; 87 grain Speer TNT, 95 grain Berger FB-HP, 100 grain Sierra Match king, 100 grain Sierra Pro-hunter, 100 grain Nosler partition. The two best shooting bullets for me were the Berger and Matchking.

I have switched over to Reloader 19 for most of my loads. I used to use IMR-4350. I am using Norma 270 brass and Winchester 25-06 brass. CCI's and Fed 210M primers.

Back