Guided Antelope Hunt

bowhunt32

Have any of you guys ever gone on a guided Pronghorn hunt? My brothers and I don't get to hunt together nearly like we used to, due to all of us being scattered around the county. We would like to save our pennies and go on an antelope hunt. So if you have used, or know of a good outfit to go with please share.

thanks,
Dale

go guided if you want, but you can very easily do it yourself for antelope in Wyo. Pick up a map showing BLM lands and hunt to your heart's content. Any BLM or state land with a road running along or through it is open public hunting (unless it's specifically posted for one reason or another).

OR,

Call the regional (Sheridan) game and fish office and get a list of landowners that allow hunting for trespass fees. Do a little homework and you might get yourself 1000's of acres to hunt very cheaply. There's millions of antelope in the NE quad of Wyoming. Finding places to hunt is tricky, but not hard. Just gotta do a little homework.

bownut

The advantages to guided antelope hunts are access to private land and established blinds. DIY hunts are very doable and fun but guided hunts for bow probably have a higher success rate and take a big chunk out of the learning curve. There alot of places to look at in NM. You might look at pronghorn guide service I know they have landowner tags/private land hunts that will insure everyone in your party gets to hunt.

Without knowing your budget or what you want to do, it would be hard to advise.

Personally, using info from guys on this site, I had the greatest hunting trip of my life going after Montana antelope. It was fairly cheap and easy to plan. It will be even better this coming fall and the next and the next.

Not many guides in that area either, which I personally appreciate. Access was easy. Lots of BLM and state land. Ranchers are great too!

KH

You wanting to bow hunt or rifle hunt? If you guys simply want to rifle hunt I would be more than happy to point you in the right direction. Access to private property to hunt Antelope in Wyoming is very easy. Most ranchers hate the Antelope and will welcome you with open arms. It is your choice but hooking up with someone in the region you want to hunt and getting some help can be rewarding and save you some $$$$$$$$. If you want to bow hunt out of blinds and such, a guide is the only way to go.

Yeah, it's not that hard to DIY it in Wyoming. I've gone the past three years with excellent success. All it took to get started was someone in the area to point me in the right direction. You have an offer of that right here. Take these guys up on it you'll have a great time!

I have 4 antelope hunts left in Northwestern Nebraska. I have been an outfitter for 4 years and a guide for 10 years. These are archery hunts, which are conducted from ground blinds around watering holes using decoys and antelope calls. Our land is 30 miles away from Wyoming and 5 miles away from the South Dakota Border. This is a great hunt for the avid bowhunter who would like to have a big goat on his wall! You will have many opportunities at taking 15" to 19" goats, 14" is considered a trophy. All of our land is private land and consists of 16,200 acres. All hunts are fully guided. Room and board is not included. We have many hotels 15 miles away from the ranch were hunters usually stay average price is $35 a night. For food I usually just recommend packing a sack lunch during the day. Price for a 3 day fully guided antelope hunt is $1100 per hunter. I have openings for antelope archery season from August 20 to November 1. The rut seems to run around the 3rd week of september to the 2nd week of October. Please contact me with any questions my email is (edit: Huntingking - I hope you didn't register just so you could offer up your guiding service. Only sponsors are allowed to provide contact information as per the TOS)- YH
Happy Hunting,

Craig

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds like a pretty decent offer Craig. If you want to bowhunt, this might deserve some closer scrutiny.

Just out of curiousity and for future reference, are there any doe tags available there Craig?

Thanks for all the info guys. Our plan currenlty is to try to put together a rifle hunt in the 2010 season. Highplainsdrifter, I appreciate the offer, and may take you up on that as we get closer. At this point, I'm in the information gathering state, determine cost, then getting all that information to my brothers so we can determine our course forward.

No problem bowhunt32, just PM me if you decide to go that route. Also, FYI and no offense intended Craig, but the height of an Antelopes horns has no bearing whatsoever on his quality as a trophy. I have seen 14" Antelope that were pitiful and spindly and I have seen 12" Antelope that would darn near make Boone & Crockett. There is far more that goes into the measure of a Trophy Pronghorn than just horn height such as mass measurements and the size of his cutters. The #1 measure of a trophy Pronghorn is what it means to the hunter. The second is Boone & Crockett score. Any Antelope in the high 70's on up to the B&C minimum of 82" is a trophy Antelope. Anything 82" or above is a world class trophy. I would also be leary of an Outfitter that claims "many Opportunities" at anything approaching a 19" goat. Again no offense Craig but you claim it and I am not buying it.

Huntingking where are you finding 19" goats? I must hunt within a few miles of where you described and have never seen anything over 16".

And I would agree with HighPlainsDrifter some of the biggest pronghorn Ive seen have been in the 12-13" inch range. With good mass and great cutters.

Bowhunt32 if you want to hunt SD pronghorns in 2010 look me up and I will show you around.

No need to go guided for antelope. My wife and I do it DIY on public in wyoming every year, We start out with our archery equipment. If there is still tags we haven't filled, we shoot them with our rifles. We have yet to eat tag soup yet after 5-6 years of going. I would rather antelope hunt then any other quarry to go after.
I wouldn't expect 17" goats around every sage bush but some shore'nuff dandies come out of that country.

Heres a video of one of our hunts.

This goat ain't 19" but he's a trophy in anyones book! TO have him at 35 yards was a memory in itself.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the offers related to DIY hunts in your home states. My brother lives in Montana and is looking into a ranch that he knows of that will charge a tresspass fee, and block management area's. I'll save your information and contact you should we start to sway that way.

Gander Bander..I'd of had to shoot the badger.

bowhunter32 if your gun hunting and you want to hunt this year ( you said 2010) you can check out wyoming on a diy and get doe tags for both deer and lope plus you might get buck tags for both. doe are cheep and it will be a pretty cheep trip if you have all of the camping gear!!you have till march 15th to put in for tags!! these guys can put in the right area and there is no time like the present to give it a try!! good luck and what the heck!!!

I first would like to apologize to everyone as I did not realize it was against the rules to post information about your own business, I was just trying to help someone find a good hunt. To everyone's post I appreciate the feedback. I do agree that length does not have everything to do with what an antelope will score. However, if you do get one with great length and a great base, along with great cutters, it would be a bigger score. To Desertram you can also hunt does, it is the same tag. MonteMiles, from what I can tell you live 400 plus miles away from me.

Thanks,

Also the pic on my profile is a goat of mine I took two years ago, he is 16 1/2" in length and scored 85 1/2 B&C. I hope everyone enjoys the pic.

Happy Hunting,

HuntingKing

Back