Just having a beer and wondering...

Oldschool country is the only country music worth listening to.
Most of the newer country music all sounds the same.

skb2706-Trust me you dont want your son to look up to any musician these days.The majority of them are fairys that dress in black and pink and think wearing half of their head shaved bald and the other side hangin in one of their eyes is cool.Their "emo" and apparently that is just so awesome.And the most annoying of all are the "gangstas" that talk about the ghetto and the "homies" they lost to the streets in every song they write.But yet they live in $40 million dollar homes and drive an Escalade on "Twany Fos" or as I like to call them Twenty Fours but mostly I just call them "rims". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I'd look up to a guy that wears a helmet,talks to himself and poops in his pants before I would look up to 50cent or any of those other fruitcakes that think their all that and a bag of Cheetos.Cause "Homie dont play dat". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Quote:

If it wasnt for these pioneers of music there would not be country music. Some on the worst people were the best musicians. Country music is more of a story than a song, so with these guys living a hard life we now have great old music to listen to. They made country music by writing and singing their life story. Taaake a look at some of the newer so called country music, and tell me how many of those artist wrote their own music. Ill bet less than 30 percent write their own music. Nashville is the worst thing that ever happend to country music. There is a song sang by elevenhundred springs titled "Hank Williams wouldnt make it now in Nashville Tennesee" This is the man that started it all for country music. Its true there is no heart and soul in country music.

well said!

It may be true that they lived hard lives and may not have
always been the best role models for young people, but most of the young musicians are not very good at that either. between the train wrecks that have came off kids tv networks, and the rap stars that went to war with each other a few years back - good luck on finding a perfect one. They all live a hard fast life, but thats what makes it what it is.

Did David Allen Coe just quit music? He had a concery in a nearby town a few months ago. I heard it was really good.

baileydr-No I dont think David Allan Coe quit music.He had a concert in a town pretty close to where I live about 5 months ago.The last I heard he was still singing anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Quote:

Johnny was among other things a drug addict, alcoholic and felon. Died due to complicatins of diabetes.

David Allan Coe was in and out of prison starting at age 9 was known to have a violent and agressive life that put him in jail for such things as murder and 1st degree assault. He does still remain alive to this day although completely out of music.

Waylon had lifetime issues with drugs and alcohol.

All I can think of to say to this is quote David Allen Coe-

"If that ain't country,I'll kiss your a--!"

As stated before those guys are pioneers in the music industry. Regardless of how they lived there lives.I will always have a spot for them in my music library.

As mentioned before the country singers today are playing music that will sell in today’s market. I have found that if you dig you can still find some good music out of today's singers, but it's usually one song. The legends are the legends there is no arguing but guys like Rhett Akins have done a song or two that have the old style themes. I personally like song 3 on this band's web site.
Dry County The song is call "God Loves All His Rednecks".

Quote:

Since you ask

Johnny was among other things a drug addict, alcoholic and felon. Died due to complicatins of diabetes.
Yes, Cash was addicted to both drugs/alcohol in his early life. However, he spent the last half (or more) of it, living clean & dedicated to God. He also put out some of his best music AFTER he cleaned up. As far as being a felon, I hadn't heard that, so I don't know.

David Allan Coe was in and out of prison starting at age 9 was known to have a violent and agressive life that put him in jail for such things as murder and 1st degree assault. He does still remain alive to this day although completely out of music.
Coe may not be recording new music, but he does still tour quit a bit. Admittedly, it's usually in small places like a community center or a bar.

As for Waylon, please see my response above about Cash. The same holds true for Waylon.

Your hero favorite country musicians had alot of issues and some far worse than having a face full of jewelry and a bad attitude.
I can't disagree that most of the "legends" of Country music had "issues", & led hard lives, doing things most wouldn't be proud of. But, to think today's singers don't share some of the same issues is unrealistic. I admit that I don't know of any newer singers who have been in prison. But there are plenty who have either wrapped their lips around a bottle or done drugs, even if it was "only" smoking pot.
Whether/not you liked their lifestyles or their music, to dismiss the old "legends" is to deny a portion of music, Country or otherwise.
There are many legends still recording/touring: Loretta Lynn, the Hag, Geo. Jones, Willie, Coe, Hank Jr., Ray Price (unless he died recently), just to name a few.
They just don't get the air-time anymore. Which is sad.
Hope my son finds better musician heroes from his era.

Last edited:
Waylon, and his contemporaries produced some music that was a part of my life. I hear it now and brings back memories and stirs my soul. I believe that is what music should do.

I never once wanted to emulate them, and I never thought of them as role models, but I sure appreciated their musical talents.

I listen to
This

I can pick whatever type I want to listen to. It's free and no commercials.

May god bless, Johnny Cash and Waylon Jennings, there are many others that deserve the same fond memories. But there's something about Johnny that brings me back home and that's what country music is all about..... I'd like to see one of those punked out babies with paint under their skin and nails in their face try to walk a mile in Johnny's shoes ... as a kid pickin' cotton, as an adult traveling from small town to small town in a car full of adults getting only a few minutes worth of sleep with crowds expecting a show. Remember, those were the times before drugs were fully understood, only by the grace of god and some help from June Carter were we able to see Johnny for so many years... god bless June Carter Cash .....

Speaking of XM radio, finding Channel 14, the Bluegrass Junction, brought me back to bluegrass, now there's some DEEEEEPP roots there and they haven't forgotten them either .... So, even though he's still kicking at 85, along with Johnny Cash, may god bless Earl Scruggs and while your at it, remember Lester kindly will ya please ....

How about some of these:

Waylon, Willie, Johnny Cash, Chris Christoferson, Roy Orbison, Ray Price, Charlie Pride, Don Williams,Roger Miller,Lorreta Linn, Patsy Cline, Roy Clark, Buck Owens, Hank Sr and Jr, Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs, Tammy Wynette, George Jones, Lynn Anderson, and don't forget the Hee Haw Gang. They all bring back alot of memories. There are some I can't think of right now. They were all great.

Tony /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
Quote:
What the [beeep] ever happened to real country music like johnny cash, David Allan Coe , Waylon Jennings, etc.

The good old days.

Since you ask

Your hero favorite country musicians had alot of issues and some far worse than having a face full of jewelry and a bad attitude.

Hope my son finds better musician heroes from his era.

Humm, I'll bite my tounge on this one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif

Quote:
How about Ed Bruce. That guy was good and I never hear his stuff anymore.

He still gets played some on a couple Kansas "Classic Country" stations, like 1070AM KFDI @ Wichita.
So do Lefty Frizzell, Gene Watson, John Conley, Earl Thomas Conlee & Eddie Arnold...to name a few more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Back