How big are coyote dens?

Mapes

I found tons of tracks leading to a small hole in the snow and deep into the ground this weekend, but it looked smaller around than a bowling ball!How big do coyote den entrances have to be!?

I had a pair barking at me while calling this morning. I made a wide circle and located their tracks. I back tracked them to a secluded den about the same size entrance. This was under a thick scrub pine on a steep hill. They chose this site well. If it wasn't for the snow I'd never have located it.

Abandoned coyote den hole from last yr.

Unless they are under a building, [hard structure]ect. They will often look like the one below. [Taller, than they are wide]. Sometimes, if you look real close at the top part of the entrance hole[generally larger]. Than an exit hole. You will see claw marks.

I don't recall now, the measurements of the hole below. But it was roughly 10" wide by 14" high. Canine den entrance holes around here. Often bank down & to the right. Odd.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc78/moreammo/Scenery005.jpg?t=1234878639

As I was reading down the responses I wondered if anyone would mention fire. I would hope no one try and burn out the yotes. We're not torturing terrorist. We or at least most of us want to hunt and kill humanely as possible. Death by fire to any living being or animal is torture.

My father denned a female coyote back in the early nintys and removed five pups from a den that was in an old rotting log. Have no clue of the dimentions but I imagine that it couldn't have been much bigger than the ones described.

we already have to many people against hunting as it is. so we need to be as humane and ethical as possible so we dont ruin hunting for the future.

Back