what size trap for coyotes?

falfan

Thinking about doing some serious trapping next year, and need to know which size trap would be best. I Cannot use a trap with a jaw spread larger than 55/8 inches. Which basically leaves me a choice of a #2 or smaller. Is a 4 coil necessary? what about the other modifications made for coyote traps. Which is needed? What about trap chain length, short like for fox? Thanks Shane

the Montana Special #3's are legal, as are the Sleepy Creek and duke #3's. the MB 550 is also a legal trap for Ohio as is the Jake Trap. you can't go by the manufactors specs in the catalogs, since they are for outside spread and not inside,

I use a lot of the Duke #1.75's for yotes. jsut short chain them and have 3 swilve points, with a short chain, the yote wont be able to get on its hind legs and pump the trap, if he cant move he cant pull out.

are you a member of the Ohio State Trappers Assoc. forum? if not I highly suggest you become one, those guys will be albe to help ya better then here. lol good luck and happy trapping.

hi for the money the number 3 Dukes work. i have 2 dz this summer i am going to 4 coil them. helps come up threw the dirt faster hold better. it is how much u want to send on the traps. the mb 550 r great traps u cant go wrong there. if u have to use 2's look at the Bridger 2's 4 coil traps . i like mine. put if i am just after coyotes i like a number 3. and my mb 650's

mine are straight out of the box, jaws filed and chain replaced, thats it, they hold our big yotes here in Darke County. the only thing 4 coiling does is help the trap come out of the frozen dirt faster. If I was going to do anything to them, I would change out the springs on the traps with #2 music wires springs, I think 4 coiling is over rated, we don't need to hold a yote for days in a trap since we have to check every 24 hours, and most critters are only in the trap a few hours not days like out west /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif.

the one thing about the #1.75's is when you make a set, you have to use guides to get the yote to put his foot on the pan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif. are you going to the NTA at Lima this year? if so look me up and we'll talk.

When is the NTA this year? Plus I do need to join a trappers association. I live in southeastern ohio, close to marietta. We have a lot of coyotes and a few fox and bobcat, would really like to thin out some of these canines. So on a factory duke 1.75 you file the jaws(to knock of sharp edges?) you change the chain(do you change where it attaches to the trap?). You use a short chain with two or three swivels, and use guide sticks for proper pad catch. Have I missed anything?

varmit master, have you used the #2's? I've been told the victor #2's weren't good for coyotes, is the duke the same way?

Most of the coyotes I've caught or killed have weighed less than 45lbs with most averaging 35. I really don't want to use any more trap than necessary in case I catch a dog or bobcat. I don't like to damage an animals leg, especially one I will turn loose. I've seen pics on here of catches on coyotes that don't look very humane, caught high on the leg.
If I'm way off base someone please set me straight.

traps will not hurt an animal's leg if it is properly set. that is plenty of swivels, laminations, the whole nine yards.
a 1.75 can do more damage than a 2 easily if improperly set.
i would use #2's if i were you but thats just me.1.75's will hold em but #3's would evenbe better

just my 0.02

Zach

hi falfan i have used the number 2 Dukes they r good traps. i like them i rehook the chain to the base and add a swivel. i just sold 2 dz of Duke's . i am upgrading to Bridgers and MB 650. i have used the victor 2 and have caught coyotes. but for a cheaper price the Dukes will do the same thing. i have 2 dz of Dukes number 3's this summer i am going to 4 coil them. for trapping the national forest. i use my MB650s on my land. u will like the Dukes. Richard

Falfan,

Coyotes are my primary target. One of the farmers who lets me trap is a big cattle farmer. He owns around 1000 acres. Which in Iowa that is a lot. He hates coyotes so I better catch as many as I can. I have tried a lot of different traps. I personally perfer J.C. Conner "Jake trap". They are not cheap but you get what you pay for.

Quote:
we don't need to hold a yote for days in a trap since we have to check every 24 hours, and most critters are only in the trap a few hours not days like out west /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif.

Believe it or not, even here in the west we have laws for trapping. Here in Utah we have to check non lethal sets every 48 hours. Lethal sets every 72 hours. I believe all states have similar laws and they are not worded as "days" for the time limit. Believe it or not we have modern plumbing to and dont have shoot outs like you see in the western movies.

Quote:
Quote:
we don't need to hold a yote for days in a trap since we have to check every 24 hours, and most critters are only in the trap a few hours not days like out west /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif.

Believe it or not, even here in the west we have laws for trapping. Here in Utah we have to check non lethal sets every 48 hours. Lethal sets every 72 hours. I believe all states have similar laws and they are not worded as "days" for the time limit. Believe it or not we have modern plumbing to and dont have shoot outs like you see in the western movies.

News Flash: 48 hour and 72 hour checks is days /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif we have to check here ever 24 hours all sets reguardless if they are lethal or not. we also have size limits on what we can use on land. anything over 5 5/8ths is illegal to set on land, any BG bigger then 5 inches is illegal on land.

anyways, I wouldnt want a critter in a trap for longer then 24 hours dead or alive. the weather can change here in a few hours and a dead critter can spoil in hours here if it gets warm fast /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif.

Last edited:
Back