Your best long shot

when I was around 10,pheasant hunting with my dad and wasnt allowed to carry the shotgun so I carried a daisy BB gun and shot a pheasant out of the air(I think it had a heart attack)

While picking my way along a mountain two-track in my old truck, my nephew says "There's a Grouse, if you take its head off, I'll clean it". By the time I got out of the truck and got ready to shoot, the Spruce Grouse was walking away at a pretty good clip. I shot once at the moving target and took the top two-thirds of its head off @ 65 paces. I was shooting my 2 1/2" S&W Model 19 - a .357 Mag revolver. I never said a word - my nephew cleaned the grouse and never mentioned it again. However, a friend of my nephew's that was along still talks about that unlucky grouse.

Just pulled one off on a hung up coyote at the PM Globe Hunt last weekend with my Dtech 25Wizzer off shooting stix. Kerry Carver & Ted Rifledog witnessed it and they both called it 550yds. I dialed 5.5MOA up from my 250yd zero and held for wind 4MOA via reticle hash marks. All I could see was it's head and the 75gr Vmax hit the dog under it's left eye. Had to range the distance in segments since my little Nikon 440 wouldn't read that far. Came up with 530yds, give or take...

Then shot in the Egg Shoot 2hours later and proceeded to miss my egg @ 200yds 5 times in a row. Go figure...

Couple years back, I belly crawled in a foot of fresh powder and killed a buck @ 225yds with my Encore .50cal ML and Burris BP reticle. I held for wind on the rear ham of the broadside buck and punched his lungs out...

I was out rabbit hunting with some friends with a Ruger 10/22, a gamble quail flushed about 20 yards out and I snapped off a shot and it fell. I still think it was the luckiest shot in history. Oh,also I hit a cottontail at about 35 yards with a rock. Lobbed it high and it came down and drt. Ate it in a stew that night...

Last edited:
My longest/flukiest shots in order:

#1 - I was about 13, walking a dyke next to our local slough with my brother and buddy. A teal flushed outta the slough from left to right about 20-25 yards out in front of us and about 25 feet in the air. As the duck passed, I stepped up and dropped it with a single round from my trusty 'ole silver bolted Cooey 22LR....my brother still looks back on that shot and calls it the luckiest shot ever.

#2 - I was 14 and deer hunting with an old Mil Surp 303 british, shot at a nice little 3 pointer at about 125 yards and the calf just back a bit and behind the buck dropped dead...that ole Mil Surp is still around....took some cleaning to get the bore back so it will shoot sub minute of barn!

#3 - Shot a yearling Doe at about 430 yards (estimated) last fall with my new .270 WSM and 140 gr Berger VLD's....first shot was well over her back as I forgot I was shooting a lazer and held too high...second shot hit exactly where I had aimed...double lung! She ran about 60 yards and expired.

#4 - Just last weekend, nailed a coyote at 505 yards (stepped off after the shot, inital estimated distance to be about 475 with the naked eye) with my 22-250 loaded with 50 gr Berger match bullets, held on the second hash mark on my bal plex reticled scope...was actually very lucky as I didn't compensate for the 5mph or so x wind, bullet drifted from a nice broadside chest shot to the top of the neck shot! DRT! Called back in it's companion and missed at about 650 yards....next time I aint missin'!

Best near miss I ever seen was my BIL's shot at a Hungarian Partridge with his .300 Win Mag, bullet hit in front of the bird, send shards of snow and ice through it's body, bullet never touched a feather, but it sure was dead!

Last edited:
Pretty good stuff so far guys.

1) Here's my claim to fame--
http://www.perry-systems.com/what_others_have_to_say.htm#Steve

2) The best long-range shooting i ever witnessed was Ernie Bishop's 10 in-a-row on 8" silhouettes at the '04 ITRC in Gillette, WY between 585 and 685 yards with a custom XP-100 6.5-284 handgun/3-12x Burris/Ball. Plex reticle.

3) My teenage buddy's 2 prairie dogs in about 7 shots with a Marlin 22 LR/3-9x Simmons/Harris bipod @ about 290 yds. using an improvised reticle calculation of 18 MOA to the plex reticle's lower post tip @ 3x. I would say that's my most memorable since it had such a big impact on that kid.

Some of the other "most memorables" have been spotting for my specialty pistol toting buddies as they were breaking world records (Ernie Bishop's 1590 yd. pistolized PD on the 9th shot, and Ray Prager's Contender kills on PDs at 775, 2 @ 1045, and 2 with 1 shot on the 10th shot or so @ 1140). Gonna be 1 up on them for spotting tho when i get my Gene Davis Power Booster to slip over one of the oculars on my 32x Kowa Highlanders (will make it a QUALITY 45x then).

We wanted to rim fire a dog town up in N. Wyoming. Partner and I walked in the 22 mags on the dogs at 225-275, and we darn near killed them all! None of them ever went down their holes. I was shooting a Mauser 210 and partner was shooting a Ruger heavy barrel; both were using 40g Win Hp.

We both had 8-32 Burris signatures on the rifles with target knobs.

Whitetail buck. It was an amazing standing offhand 80 yards with 5mph crosswinds shooting my R700 in .270 win with 130 gr sst handloads. Once I figured out my elevation and windage I dialed in the appropriate adustments exhalled a little squeezed the shot off bang flop. Jack O'Connor would of been proud. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:
No I didn't really make adjustments. I was just making fun that my longest shot on game is 80 yards versus all the 300 plus shots. Don't have to many chances for a long shot in my neck of the woods.

one of my friends shot a deer at 375yrds with a .3o8 with 165bt and knocked it off its feet and it got back up and ran but was goin down its head was fallin and couldnt ran hard,,and never did find that one

This last Christmas I caught a red nappin on a haystack. Walked to the closest fence line about 125 yds. away. All I could see was from its nose up. My buddy stayed back because he knew I wouldn't come close. Put a 39 blitzking right in the jaw. That ole red flipped around like a fish outta water. Look on my buddy's face was priceless.

Quote:
This isn't my "best" but it was my luckiest and my sister watched the whole thing. I missed a coyote at around 200 yards standing broadside /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif I couldn't let him get away /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif so I kept booming away and he kept running eventually connected on the 3d shot around while he was on a dead run I was giving him around 6 feet lead and holding 5ft high with a .223 and 55gr Soft points , right after I pulled the trigger he just dissappeared /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gifI wasn't even sure I hit him so I decided to go look for him and sure enough there he was piled up at 425 steps. I got super lucky.

*(Its a shame that some women can't relize the significance of such and amazing shot ,I got the same reaction from her that I would have got if I shot a sitting coyote at 25 yards /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif; but she's proven good luck so maybe I should drag her out calling more often.)

You think that is bad? I missed one at 30yds with my 300wsm. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

ive not killed anything at this distance yet but still it amazed me------> i mounted a cheap BSA 4-16x35(?) mil-dot scope on my savage .17 HMR and was shooting beer bottles at 350-360 yards. i used 20 gr FMJ and the hornady 20 gr XTP ammunition, its so much fun to push a rimfire!

Longest shot was on a coyote at 620 yrds. I shot her with a 22-250 52 grain BTHP Sierra. Backed by 34.0 grains of 4064. I made the shot and walked out to get her. My brother was watching me in the binocs and he said that he thought, "he's not that far." Then he told me he put them down and couldnt find me....lol I had to shoot her again with a 22 pistol.

Quote:
Longest shot was on a coyote at 620 yrds. I shot her with a 22-250 52 grain BTHP Sierra. Backed by 34.0 grains of 4064. I made the shot and walked out to get her. My brother was watching me in the binocs and he said that he thought, "he's not that far." Then he told me he put them down and couldnt find me....lol I had to shoot her again with a 22 pistol.

Dang! Anyone seen the movie " Valdez is comming?"...
I think Valdez is here! Grizz

With my 243 and a 55 grain nosler bst. A running coyote was out there at 645 steps or about 590 yards to the first connecting shot (blood in the snow) on a running coyote. It wasn't the first or last shot either. I couldn't believe it but I burned about 9 rounds at her in the process.

Coolest shot was same gun first coyote of the year headed up the mountain towards me and stopped to catch his breath at about 80 yards. I could only see his head and he was panting. Flung one right down his throat. DRT.

Last edited:
Back