My New Mexico Oryx

timmy0283

Yesterday was the first day of my 2 day Mcgregor Range oryx hunt. After all day of glassing and driving, I connected with a 31" cow at about 5:03 PM. Thanks to a little help from some nice BLM guys and my buddy Mike. It took one shot from my 257 Weatherby.

IMG_1788.jpg

IMG_1786.jpg

I kind of looked around the NM regulations and didn't see anything for oryx. Are they a state regulated species or ranch raised? Nice looking animal, way to go.

Last edited:
Quote:
I kind of looked around the NM regulations and didn't see anything for oryx. Are they a state regulated species or ranch raised?

Who cares... The point is he shot one and he's happy. Grizz

Quote:
I kind of looked around the NM regulations and didn't see anything for oryx. Are they a state regulated species or ranch raised?

The regulations for Oryx are on page 49 of the NM rule book. They are not ranch raised.

Thanks Grizz, I am very happy with it.

Quote:
Quote:

Who cares... The point is he shot one and he's happy. Grizz

I care, that is kind of unusual for never been around them before. Just was wondering if it was something that was running wild or what. Nice looking animals kind of out of place in the US. But cool that they can be hunted .

Very cool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif That is something along with your Ibex that I want to start trying to draw for. Congrats on a great trophy. Are you doing a mount on it?

Here is one time that being old is a benefit. If my memory is working correctly a short-term NM governor named Tom Bolack was responsible for the introduction of exotic African game animals into New Mexico. I think he also was responsible for the introduction of the Barbary sheep.

Here's a bit of info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Bolack

Quote:
Here is one time that being old is a benefit. If my memory is working correctly a short-term NM governor named Tom Bolack was responsible for the introduction of exotic African game animals into New Mexico. I think he also was responsible for the introduction of the Barbary sheep.

Here's a bit of info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Bolack

He did quite a bit for serving only 32 days.

Quote:
Gorgeous animal! What was the range? That hide would make an amazing rug.

Yes it would. My wife had hers from 2006 made into a rug, including the face ala a zebra rug. It's very nice, despite a little trouble at the tannery that resulted in some slipped hair. I also have one (without the face) from Namibia that is very nice. I'm leaning back on it right now - it's a bit pokey... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The deadline for applying for them is in early Feb. if you are interested in doing so for next year. There are several areas down in the southern part of the state where they are located. The missile range is one of them and they are very strict regarding cameras and so forth.

Back