chrono distance ?

With centerfire rifles (especially braked ones), I've had my best luck at 15 feet from the muzzle. Closer than that and often the blast interferes with the readings. Handguns work well at around ten feet.

Mike

Quote:
I just orderd a chrono from midway and was wondering how far out it sould be set.

Good for you. At least someone can get Midways site to work.

Good for you. At least someone can get Midways site to work.

It took me two days to get my whole order placed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif
kept saying server busy.

Catshooter-I too have gotten false readings when my Chrony was too close (10') from muzzle. My winchester 70 has a Boss muzzle brake. do you by any chance know if it's something other than muzzle blast causing this. Fresh battery of course. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Quote:
Catshooter-I too have gotten false readings when my Chrony was too close (10') from muzzle. My winchester 70 has a Boss muzzle brake. do you by any chance know if it's something other than muzzle blast causing this. Fresh battery of course. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I think that some chronos are more susceptible to "blast" than others.

My first chrono was home made and the bullet had to break wires - they were hard to hit! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

My very first factory chrono was a Hollywood Engineering and there was no blast problems, cuz it used hard silver screens to break.

My first Oehler 33 (got it the first year they made it) was having blast problems (as was everyone elses). Then Oehler had a recall to exchange for modified "improved" screens and screen detectors, and the problems went away. My Oehler 35-P never had problems.

My C.E.D. is real good about blast - I shoot a 300 Win Mag and a .264 Win Mag through it with the first screen at ~5 feet and I get reliable readings.

I have never owned a PACT or Chrony or other brand ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I always run 15', for more than one reason. First, using the same distance means your results can be compared, from one test to another, and secondly, my bench sits inside...I set the Oehler 35P on the patio, and that is 15'.

I have never had an issue from 7 to 8 feet. Shot everything from a 22lr to hot .45-70 loads and everything in between. I have a Chroy and a Pro-chrono both.

"My first chrono was home made and the bullet had to break wires - they were hard to hit!"

How the [beeep] old are you??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
I can absolutely see how they would be hard to hit!!! Just goes to show how curious & serious you were/are about your shooting to have taken the time and trouble. Thanks for the input but not familiar with C.E.D. can you enlighten me(haven't had access to a lot of catalogs until I got this laptop)?

Quote:
"My first chrono was home made and the bullet had to break wires - they were hard to hit!"

How the [beeep] old are you??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Older than dirt - just ask my Rugrat who is 17 and knows almost everything /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Quote:
I can absolutely see how they would be hard to hit!!! Just goes to show how curious & serious you were/are about your shooting to have taken the time and trouble. Thanks for the input but not familiar with C.E.D. can you enlighten me(haven't had access to a lot of catalogs until I got this laptop)?

The CED is now probably the top chrono since Oehler went out of the "handloader chronograph" business.

GO here - Jim is good people and knows his stuff - he has software to go with it that takes your chrono data and puts it in your laptop automatically.

http://shootingsoftware.com/Merchant2/me...tegory_Code=CED

"Older than dirt - just ask my Rugrat who is 17 and knows almost everything"
I can relate although mine isn"t quite that old I've told him as soon as he figures he knows more than me it's time to get out and PAY HIS OWN WAY!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
P.S. Thanks again.

Quote:

I can relate although mine isn"t quite that old I've told him as soon as he figures he knows more than me it's time to get out and PAY HIS OWN WAY!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
P.S. Thanks again.

"I've told him as soon as he figures he knows more than me it's time to get out and PAY HIS OWN WAY!!!"

Hey. I like that - I'm gonna try it the next time he thinks the "Old man" don't know doodle squat!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Cat! another year and you'll start getting smarter, I was amazed growing up when I was 18 my ole'man was the dumbest guy I'd ever been around, buy the time I was 26, he was pretty danged sharp!
chronies!
I've noticed with my pact pro, that those rifles with a loud report or a brake (the mags, 270 wea., 7mm, 7 STW, 7mm AM) does get alot of false readings if they are less than 5 yards. Oh, and I occasionaly shoot a skyscreen with scoped AR's any closer!!
RR

My son is creeping up on 40 and is just now starting to admit that I did know something when he was younger... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Quote:

Now he's starting to think I'm an "Ultra-Conservative" that is developing Alzheimer's... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Where did I go wrong?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Quote:
My son is creeping up on 40 and is just now starting to admit that I did know something when he was younger... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Quote:

Now he's starting to think I'm an "Ultra-Conservative" that is developing Alzheimer's... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Where did I go wrong?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Actually, my son is very cool - I would rather hang out with him than any grown ups I know...

... he is conservative and can tell you what is wrong with the theories about the ozone hole and global warming... he is conversant with why the economic stimulus bill is a disaster, and can argue most adults into the dirt on these (and other topics)...

... I taught him well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Meow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

... he is also an outcast in school, cuz he can beat the teachers at their own game. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Back