What is this wood? (*LEAVES ADDED*)

dillwood

me and mr. jones was studying this wood and we are not sure what it is. any info? please have some input.

mystery5.jpg

mystery6.jpg

mystery.jpg

mystery3.jpg

mystery2.jpg

mysterytree3.jpg

mysterytree2.jpg

mysterytree1.jpg

had to scrape together these leaves from the back of the truck. hope there good enough

leaf1.jpg

leaf2.jpg

Last edited:
What's it taste like? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

12yrs fulltime tree surgeon. on and off last fifteen years. Pretty sure that's some kind of Elm tree. If you can furnish a picture of a leaf from these trees I can make a better call. Doesn't matter if it's brown as long as you can show it flat.

I'd agree with Dedogs,

That certainly looks like elm to me, even more so like Red Elm. I bet if you split some it is real stringy and smells like vinegar. It would make some nice calls if you can wax the ends and keep it from splitting. Elm is somewhat like sycamore or osage orange with lots of flakes and sparkles when turned.

Nikonut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Since you guys are from the Bitterroot I'd now be willing to bet serious money on elm. Furthermore that looks like some of Asplhund Tree Company's line trimming work. If you don't want to take my word maybe go and ask one of them--they are usually in the orange trucks(sometimes white) and should be doing a lot of work in your area right about now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Nikonut knows his wood although I'd say probably Chinese or Russian Elm depending on leaf size. Another real good test is throw a piece of green on a hot fire in your fireplace. If about 1/2hr later it smells like someone pssd in your fireplace and all around your house THAT'S ELM!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Quote:
Nikonut knows his wood although I'd say probably Chinese or Russian Elm depending on leaf size. Another real good test is throw a piece of green on a hot fire in your fireplace. If about 1/2hr later it smells like someone pssd in your fireplace and all around your house THAT'S ELM!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Is that where they got the name piss elm tree? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
The leaves sure look like what we call a piss elm here in TX.

i was going to say i want one but if it smells like whizz i'd want to know what it tastes like. i'v had some beers that were said to taste like squirrel wjiz but couldnt vouch for that.

dedogs, you are correct on the tree trimmer, they are cutting everything back from the powelines in the valley, mostly cottonwoods, but sometimes you might find a hidden gem! Ther is lots of it stacked up along this row of trees, looks like I will have to try some! I will take your word on the smell!

Judging from the leaves my latest guess would be American Elm. It could be one of several varieties but it's almost certainly ELM!

That will turn something like oak and hickory or maybe hackberry, it's very stringy but can be very nice! You could try microwaving a few small pieces to try. That would give you an idea if you want to wax and save some.

I'd say it's also a good idea to talk to the trimmers and even follow their route... lots of great woods to be found and the price is right! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Nikonut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Back