Minnesota/Wisconsin opinions

R Buker

These pics are in another thread and I voiced my opinion that I don't think Minnesota (or Wisconsin) anglers would kill these big females for the fry pan. I know I practice catch and release on big fish but, do you?

Nelson005.jpg

Nelson001.jpg

Scan10001.jpg

Nelson017.jpg

Most people I know from MN and especially Wisconsin would keep every one of those fish. For 99% of anglers in MN any one of those would represent the biggest fish they caught all year. I've seen plenty smaller than any of those on the walls in gas stations, resturants, offices, and homes all over MN. Those are the kind of walleyes that I've known people get drunk celebrating, then bring up to the bar to show off. I'm not saying everybody, but I am saying most would keep them.

Did you notice that I said, "for the fry pan?" I really have no problem with people keeping a trophy for the wall. It's killing and butchering those big fish that I have a problem with.

Wow. Maybe I give people here too much credit? All I'm basing it on is the group of people I know who fish here in the Alexandria area. There is a huge movement of catch and release.

The Alex crowd is probably a little ahead of the curve. That area is very dependant on the tourist industry, and they need big fish in their lakes. The people I grew up with and know are still very tied to their German roots. Those old Germans that came over and survived the great deperession don't waste a nibble and it's been imbedded in their decendants DNA to eat every fish they catch, I swear. Sure the guys who take fishing seriously are probably in your camp, but most are not.

Good point. My father in law killed and ate an 8lb walleye last year. I thought my step son was going to come unglued!

I'd wall mount the big walleye if it was over 11.5, the slimmer would go back, I have pulled a 19 lb from vermillion on ice, and it went back in..would have to be 25+ for me to mount.
BUT THATS ME.

Quote:
I have pulled a 19 lb from vermillion on ice, and it went back in.

You maybe should of kept it for youre wall. According to DNR web site you tossed a new state record. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif
From the DNR webb site it says the state record weighed 17 pds. 8 oz.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Each lake has its rules for what size of fish you can keep and how many.. So if a guy wants to keep 5 eight pounders to eat then thats his choice and right..
For me personaly i don't think any fish that falls into the throphy catogory shouldbe kept. A picture shouldbe taken and then the fish released, later if a person wishs to do so he can have a duplicate made up for his hero wall.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I agree with catch and release most of the time but figure the money spent and time put in on some of trips all of us have been on. My point is if I fish for 2-3 days and catch one or two fish its coming home with me for the wall or to eat. That just me. I catch release 100% bass and pike keep panfish for the fryer.

All of you that have responded are (most likely) more serious and seasoned fisherman than I am. I do not get to fish all that often and probably would not have the prowess to catch fish of that caliber. But if I did, it would be a fish of a lifetime and I may put it on the wall. If it wasn't going on the wall, it would go back in the water. I usually like to just keep what we are going to eat for a meal, just the "good eatin' sizes."

Quote:
I don't think Minnesota (or Wisconsin) anglers would kill these big females for the fry pan.

I dont think it's a MN/WI anglers thing. I think it's an individual thing. Each individual has his/her own beliefs and practices no matter the color of the liscence plate. Blaming Montana anglers for poor fishimg ethics might be kinda bold.

When I was a fisherman I caught and released everything %100 of the time unless a budy wanted to keep and clean them for himself.

I was under the impression that "MOST" people here would release them. As has been pointed out, I may be wrong. What I will say is that "MOST" everyone I know would release those pigs. And, I'm certainly not claiming that "MOST" people in Montana are game hogs either. In fact, I think most people would release them out there too.

But, maybe that's wishful thinking???

I haven't been fishing in well over 15 years, but in terms of Minnesota (I grew up there) the funniest/worst thing I used to see was the cambodian folks with the buckets full of pike/bass fingerlings they were taking home to make fish paste with... I'd say that any fish that makes it to that size in Minnesota was plenty lucky in the first place and definitely deserves to be thrown back :)

I used to fish carp on the cannon river and the Hmong kids would come up begging for our carp. I kept a few to smoke but wouldl give them the rest. They'd have their gunny sacks so full that two of them couldn't drag it up the hill. It was good to see the carp being used rather than just as fertilizer.

Those are some respectable fish not big enough for my wall but... I personally would have released them but I have no hard feelings toward guys who want to keep what they catch. We have enough to worry about with poachers and law breakers. As long as their legal, they are fine with me.

I am glad they weren't fishing the lake I live on. LOL.

To each his own.

Tim

I live on the river, where MN,IA, and WI all meet. I work with a pile of bass fisherman. They will not keep a fish, only weigh them in and release. Also catch and release for thier pre-fishing for a tourny. I on the other hand although I live within feet of the Mississippi only fish about 3 to 5 times a year. Couple with my buddies and couple with the kids. With the kids we only are after pan fish. Sunny's and bluegills. When my freinds and I go we go after northerns and wally's. If it is not big enough to go on the wall, it turns into food. (I have none on the wall). If C&R is your thing great, but I am there to create a fish fry.
Just my $0.02

Back