call turning tools

bkhcj8

I would reall like to start turning my own calls. There are some small lathes at harbor freight that accept 8in diameter and 12in long wood. Will this small lathe work? Besides a lathe, drill bits and some carving tools is there any other main tools I will need. I have always worked with metal so this whole wood working thing is very new to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

LOTS of sand paper, various finishes, glues, rags, paper towels, bandaids, mandrels, calipers, reeds and a whole bunch of other stuff. Any one item isn't all that expensive, but it can add up quickly.

Oh, don't forget a way to sharpen tools.

Last edited:
Did Weasel mention BANDAIDS /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I remember our last talk about allways getting cut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

i dont know if anyone said BANDAIDS yet but they are a must /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Zach

Sorry I forgot to mention I already have a beltsander,drill press,shop vac,rags. I was looking at all predator calls and I am going to put togather an order tomorrow for some material. What kind of sealer should I get? Oh yea I also have a nurse for a wife so I figure I have the injury part covered also. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif She laughed when I told her you guys said bandaids. She said yall dont know me well enough because when I take on something new I usually get hurt just short of loosing an eye. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif She said that a bandaid wont be enough for what im gona tear up. I hope to be doing a little turning in the next week so I will post a few pics and mabe you guys can give me a grade and some pointers. Thanks

Wood, antler, and horn lots of it and when you think you have enough buy more. Have your wife bring home a stapler you sound like me bandaids won't do it!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I use Teak, and Danish oil on most of my calls. I do use lacquer on some calls.
Jim

Tuesday I was cutting 2x4's on the table saw to make drilling clamps. (oh yeah, you'll need clamps) A piece kicked out of the table saw and hit me in the hand right under my knuckles. My ring finger was pointing north and the rest of them were pointing east. My wife isn't a nurse so I had to straighten my finger by clamping it in a vise and taping it to the fingers next to it. The finger doesn't hurt all that bad, but my hand is THROBBING! Oh, just a little shop tip: Super Glue will close up a pretty good gash. Seriously, it works.

Got some dermabond already. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif(medical superglue) Im glad to hear im not the only one who needs a good accidental injury policy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

All good suggestions.
I think one of the most valuable tools (besides everyone on here) would be a good respirator or better yet a dust collector. Anyone how has turned for a while has some sort of horror story.

Take a look at Hut for just about everything for finishes.
I would also go to the library and check out some books. I spent months of reading before I bought a lathe.

Also, doen't forget a digi. camera so you can show of your stuff.

Good luck.
Dan

A couple of good books

Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Turning (Complete Illustrated Guide) (Hardcover) by Richard Raffan

"A Foundation Course in Woodturning" by Keith Rowley

Deffinetely make it a priority to get a mandrel. makes the work a heck of a lot easier, and makes the call that much better

If you can talk Bryan Stanley into making more Carbide turning tools I'd suggest getting one.

DeluxeWoundedWeasels.jpg

I turned this batch of calls with a Bryan Stanley carbide tool, a parting tool and a spearpoint. That's turned from square block to the final shape. The best thing about it is; you don't have to sharpen the Bryan "Double Coyote" Stanley tool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bkhcj8, make sure that Harbor Freight lathe has a Morse Taper. I bought one a while back and it was just a threaded headstock. Ended up eventually buying the PSI from Amazon, free shipping and a decent price if I remember.

I don't think it's been mentioned yet but DO NOT try to turn anything without eye protection! A faceshield is even better!

Do not wear rings or loose clothing. The first time you get wound up in a lathe might just be your last... even super glue won't replace fingers!

And keep asking questions! If you have any doubt about doing something... don't! Ask questions first. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Nikonut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Back