Lightforce Battery Charging Confusion.........

RickH2

Hi Lightforce Owners.....

We have been getting, some calls about the charging of the Lightforce Battery pack/Bag......

How to use the 12 volt, Car/Truck Charger....

The (IN) Goes to your Cig. Lighter or Asso. Sockett
(Red light should be on)

The (Out) goes to your Sockett on your Battery Bag/pack

The BPS Switch, Must be on (Full-On) to charge the battery

Max. Charge Rate is 7 hours.......you need to time it, its not self regulated....

Your Car/Truck Charger puts out 1,500 milli-amps or 1.5 Amps per hour, Charge time.....your car/truck need not be running, for the Battery to be Charged up..........

This is you Mains charger for the Lightforce Battery, when in off-season status, every 6-8 weeks you need to run-Down the Battery and Re-Charge it for 7 hours to keep the Battery FRESH,and fully charged.....

Batterys, All Batterys loose power after sitting and not being used, once the battery drops below 2 volts, the Car Charger nor the wall charger will charge the Battery, Its seen as a DEAD Battery and Must be Replaced......

Our Wall Charger stops the Battery from discharging and keeps it Fully Charged and will never over-Charge your battery.....and its always ready to go, when you mpare.....Charge Rate is also 1.5 Amps

The Charge Rate is Very Important to the Longivity of your Battery, the correct Rate is 1.5 Amp Hour MAX, if you use a 2 Amp hour Charger or more it will slowley distroy your battery due to Heat,the higher the charge rate the more heat the battery will have to absorb.....to much heat from charging or Over Charging, then the battery will Bloat and look like a Football, breaking the charge plates in the battery and will Not Work anymore.....

These batterys are Sealed, they dont Breath like Car and truck batterys due..........

Lightforce will not Warrenty a Bloated Battery.........

Unlike other Wall Chargers ours, totally Shuts off and knows when to Re-Charge the battery when it drops 1 full Volt.......it starts Charging again and then shuts-off....Can be left on the Wall Charger for Years if Desired....

Its the BEST Charger for Sealed Batterys....No Hassles...

Cost of Full time Charging with 110 volt wall charger Is: $6.00 a Year......

The Interstate UB 1280 Battery that comes with your Lightforce Packs, is the Best Battery for using and Re-Charging, it Carrys many Charging (Cycles) for a Long Life Battery for years of Dependable service a long as you keep it charged up and ready to go.....

There are some (Cheaper) Battries out there, they do not have a Very good (Cycle) Charging/Re-Charging rate, and may last only one season and youll be looking for a New Battery, and would have wasted your Money.......

The UB 1280 Battery has a Life of 3-5 years of use, look on top of your Battery and youll find the (Born On Date) this was the date the Battery was Made and Ready for Service....

If you have any Questions or wondering, please let me know...

Thank You............RickH2

We Speak Lightforce........

Currently we No longer carry Battery Chargers

RickH2

We Speak Lightforce........ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Last edited:
Hey cpd1501, You can get the charger that the guys from all predatorcalls.com recomend for $26.00 at Auto Zone I just bought one last week, the brand is schumacher

Hi Tkng...........

You can get the Same Charger from Wal-Mart for $18.44...

for the 6/12 Volt......Schumacher

Our 12 volt Schumacher,shuts off, and it says so on the front Packaging......

Those do not.......

We only sell the Best I can Find, and stand behind it for 2 years....

Good Hunting.........RickH2

Hey Rick, It's probably been discussed several times here on the forum, but I just recently became interested in spotlighting, and a search didn't reveal any obvious results, so I'll ask it anyway:
What kind of "run time" can we expect to see from a fully charged Interstate UB 1280 Battery?

If we plug in the car charger all night while moving between stands, can we keep a usefull charge in the battery for 6-8 hrs? (figuring on 30 minute stands with 15 minutes in between)

I'm just guessing, without alot of further research, that I would be asking about/buying a 170 kit.

Thanx,
Mike

Hi Venatic........

The Battery 1280 should last for 3-5 years, beyond the Date on top of the Battery..........if taken care of.......

Any charger at or below the Suggested 1.5 Amps for charging is Fine........

If its is left on the battery it should shut off and not keep charging, even a .5 Amp or 1/2 Amp charger could due battery damage if its not Regulated...

Naturally the 1.5 Amp charger will charge your Battery in 4-5 hours....to Fully-Charged Statis

A 1 Amp charger will take 8 hours to charge the battery...

A .5 Amp charger will take 16 hours to fully charge the battery.....and so on.......

Hope this Helps.............RickH2

Hi Hairtriger......

If your using a 170 Scope light with the Stock GLO-7 bulb, 400,000 CWP at 75 Watt...

The Battery should last 1 Hour Full-On and 2-3 hours Using the BPS System on the Battery Bag.......(Reo-Stat)

If you charge between stands say an hour or less,it should be enough to due different stands and still have enough Light for the Nightly hunt...............

Extra charged battery is always Helpfull........For Swaps while other is being charged up.......

2nd Option is to Buy a GL-14 Bulb (Cannot be used with Large Bore Rifles and Shotguns) will break after a few shots.....

The GL-14 bulb is 320,000 CWP and its a 30 Watt Bulb, it lasts 2 1/2 hours Full-On and 6-7 hours using the BPS (Reo-Stat) System.........using a fully charged (12 Volt)1280 UB Battery......

Hope this Helps.................RickH2

I use the battery tender JR. for my ATV. I think this would be a great charger for this battery as well. Any thoughts on this charger RICK? I've been noticing my battery doesn't last nearly as long as last year due to the fact that over the summer I let it run way down. I should have kept it on a tender...

RickH2,
Another question please. If I have my battery bag just setting around NOT on charge. And the wires that have the fuse in them are attached to the battery posts and the switch is bumped to full on or dimmer...and the light is NOT
connected...does that use any power as far as draining it.? In other words does the rocker switch have to be in the middle (off/storage)????

Hi Bucksnort06.........

I havent used a Battery tender......and really dont have an Opinion of it.....

If it shuts off and doesnt keep charging the battery, thats fine....

As far as charging, if you leave it off the charger for too long it loses it power....if it drops below 2 volts, the chargers wont re-charge the battery........

If it down to, lets say 4 Volts, it will recharge the battery, but it wont have the (Time Power reserve) as it did the year before.........due to not being charged...

Hope this Helps.............RickH2

Great Question Pete.....

I dont think it would drain any of the battery, due to the fact its electornic,but to be on the safe side, I would remove the wires to the Battery utill i needed it or to Re-Charge it.......

Though it may short something out, if its left in the on switch, I really not sure.......

havent had that problem as yet....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Hope this helps..........RickH2

OK Rick,
Thanks for that reply but now I have one more for you. I have a nice new deep cycle battery that I keep charged up all the time in my shop. I only have the vehicle charger I bought from you. If I hook that up to the Lightforce battery will that act like the house charger you sell? AND can I just leave it on there for long periods of time without any damage? I'll be looking for your reply. I apologize but I just always thought that $56 bucks was a little too much for a charger...even tho it is probably the best one to get....hope you understand....Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Hi Peter.......

Im a little confused, are you meaning to hook up the 1280 UB Lightforce to the deep cycle battery Derectly.and leave it there????

I once sold cheaper chargers, when I first started selling Lightforce Hunting packs 6 years ago,but I had a Lot of Complaints about the 10 hour charging times,and how they hooked-up to the battery using allagator clips......and poping off during charging.....though they shut off when fully charged like these do.....a lot of returns.....

Ive only had 2 chargers returned in over 5 years, with these wall chargers.....you can't ask for better than that......

Hassle Free for the customer to use.....

RickH2

Last edited:
Rick,
I'm confused AGAIN...doesn't take much ya know...At the top of this page you say every 6 to 8 weeks you need to run-down the battery and then recharge it for 7 hrs.

In the next paragraph down, you say "Once a battery drops below 2 volts neither charger will bring it back. Its seen as a dead battery and must be replaced"

Well, if we run it down and it happens to go below 2 volts then we followed your instructions and killed our battery????? Do you see where the contradiction comes in?
Very confusing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Hi Pete.....

The Meaning is: if you run down your battery, using your Lightforce Light, till the light gets dim (just Like out in the Field, when hunting)..........then recharge it for 7 hours........and its good for another 6-8 weeks..till you need to do it again........

If the Battery drops Below 2 volts, This term is for the Person who has not Chargerd there battery for 6-8 months, and cant figure out why its not working...........and the Wall charger or Car charger won't charge the Battery....

If you have our Wall charger, leave it pluged in all year, and forget about it..........it will be ready to go, When the Next Hunting Season Starts Again........

Hope this clears up some things...........................RickH2

Rick,
Just to clear this up in my little brain. If I turn on my light to full power and hang it in my shop til it gets dim, then I haven't reached the 2 volt stage yet and that is OK, then I can recharge it? In other words, when the light gets pretty dim, where is the voltage at, 2 volts, 4, 6..? DO you understand my question?
BTW I only have the vehicle charger not the house charger.

Back