Primose Randy Anderson series calls.

redneckcaller

I recently picked up a pack of two calls and DVD, calls were Primose Hot dog and the Ki-Yi, DVD was The truth V, calling all coyotes. I have been practicing with them and am doing "okay" I guess. Been out in the evening for three days now and have only had a coyote howl back at me a few times, but never would commet to coming in. Does anybodyelse use these calls and have alot of success? I'm sure I just need more patience and practice. New here and just gettin the posting started!

Thanks,
Luke

Quote:
i use both calls, and have had great success with them. just keep practicing you will get it.

+1 I also have both and have called in a few using them.
The howler takes a little practice to get used to but it sounds great.

I have the hot dog and the lil' dog. I can howl better on the little dog (white call), better than i can on the hot dog. I'm getting better with the hot dog, takes lots of practice. Atleast that's what a few guys on here have told me.

use both and love them but as everyone says it takes practice keep it up and asooner or later ull get it just right and they come more offten than not

I like the little dog calls also, but can't get the hot dog to do many sounds. The little dog works & sounds good, but it seems like the reed is easy to bend & screw up. I'm on my 3rd set & have bent the white little dog reed again. I tried to straighten them but it didn't help. I do like the sound, but not as much as the calls I just got from Mr. Carver.

Well, while we're on the topic of the calls, Where I am we don't have jack rabbits, but I really like the jack rabbit sounds on the Ki-Yi, and its easier for me to do a combo of jackrabbit-Ki-Yi mix. Would the jackrabbit distress still bring in coyotes/fox or would only the cottontail work since we just have cottontails here? Kinda a silly question but would like to know.

Jackrabbit sounds work very well in VA! If they could discern between the sounds of different species, we'd never kill any of them. Good luck!
F1

I forgot to mention that i use the ki-yi as an open reed call for rabbit distress without the little guard thing. i also use the hot dog for my Ki-Yi call by using the tip of the reed and my teeth, it makes a great high pitched pup distress and ki-yi. i dont use the big horn deal on the hot dog either.

I can make the Ki-Yi noise better on the hot dog than I can on the Ki-Yi call... But I am still trying to get the Ki-yi sound down good on the Ki-Yi call.

God bless randy anderson for really popularizing howling
(or maybe not)
i used to be able to call coyotes long past when they were educated by others in my area
...they cont'd to use the same rabbit call all season
and now they are howling

randy and i have spoken in person
watch his videos and you will see that he does alot of howling kansas in late season...mixes it up earlier...and newer videos show him really mixing it up in deep winter
notice he uses the howler rabbit combos in canada (with "wooly") alot because they are hunting land that sees less hunting pressure compared to kansas
now your question
primos calls are really designed to be multipurpose
as you grow and practice you will find that there are custom call makers that really work at tuning their calls more specifically
(unfortunately that number is decreasing with the advent and extreme popularity of electronics...custom callers are moving toward multipupose as well)
when you feel you are ready
contact a custom maker directly and ask for something specific...they will provide it for you
good luck to ya

i fly fish also and for me there is nothing like it in fishin
(i have also tied since the age of six)
really kicks it up a notch
soon you will be making your own calls
if i am hearing the enthusiasm i think i am

guero

ps...i have killed many dogs with primos stuff
(but i was not real impressed with the diaphragm howlers)

i have used the diaphragm calls but mostly use them to bark at the yote so he will stop. them i will wimper after shot to try to make 2nd come in. i like this cause i can keep my hands on my gun.

I just got some custom calls from a guy here in texas and i really like them alot i am 2 for 2 with them.

These are all great calls. I used them when I started calling and have now moved to custom calls. To me there is a world of difference and you can have them voiced to your needs. Look up some of the call makers here at PM and order you a call. I promise you wont be disappointed. You can get a call made for you close to the same price you will spend in a store. Good Luck!!

Quote:
These are all great calls. I used them when I started calling and have now moved to custom calls. To me there is a world of difference and you can have them voiced to your needs. Look up some of the call makers here at PM and order you a call. I promise you wont be disappointed. You can get a call made for you close to the same price you will spend in a store. Good Luck!!

+1

Back