Help with saving a howler (pictures added).

billyho11

I recently had a rancher give me a cow horn howler after hunting his property. He said he bought it years ago and could never get it to work right. It has an engraving on the side of the horn that says Herb's Howlers. Anyway, the rancher had it stored out in his saddle barn and it looks like some moister got under the coating and the out side of the horn is starting to peal. What should I do to save this howler? It's a field grade howler not too much to look at, but it sounds pretty good.

Last edited:
That is a collectors item! I have little experience with horn so I will defer what to someone that knows. Until then I would not do anything with it.

The Amateur Archaelogists Hand book for cleaning/preserving Horn/Antler calls for a salt test useing silver nitrate.

Directions say - soak the object in fresh water, remove object & add to the water a drop or 2 of silver nitrate, which may be obtained at any drug store or chemical supply house. If salt is present, the water will become cloudy.
If salt is present let the object soak in fresh water for an hour,then make a second salt test. repeat until a negative result is obtained. (I.E no cloudy water)
Depending on the material your are dealing with, water, alcohol,ether or gasoline are good cleaning agents.

Chart-

Cleaning agents Material

Water ------------------ turtle shell, gold,stone
alcohol ---------------- wood, glass
Acetone--------------- antler,horn,ivory,shell,amber,copper
Gasoline & ether-------grease or simular organic dirts

If the object permits, dip it in the proper cleaning liquid (see chart) until it is covered completely. Otherwise, dip a cotton swab or very solf brush in the liquid and apply.. If you have any doubts about the solution, try it on a small area of the object where damage will not show.. Better still, try it on some less valuable material of the same type.

(Preserving)

The celluloid acetone is the most valuable material known to archaeologists. Celluloid-actetone is unsurpassed for strengthening.!

For Antler - Immerse in celluloid acetone solution until air bubbles stop rising. Remove, dry. Repeat process twice.

For Horn - wash with warm soap & water. Immerse in celluloid acetone solution.

This is probably over kill for your call.! but can likely be applied as a proper cleaning/restoring method.. FWIW, I would likely go a step less + a step further.! To explain, I dont see the need for the silver nitrate test, your call isn't that old.! I would likely just soak the call in water (boiled water)for an hour to remove any salts & then dipp/soak the call in acetone.. I would go a step further by applying a clear satin laquer finish of some type after the acetone dipping.. Hope maybe that will help..

Given that the howler is a "Herb's Howler" I would not do anything to it!

Herb Brusman howlers were never pretty calls but they sure were great sounding and they are very collectible, especially if signed by Herb! He began making these way back in 1964! He was an early pioneer of howling for coyotes!

Herb's Howlers

I'd give Herb a call and talk to him or his son Chris!

You have a diamond there... keep it just as it is! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Nikonut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Since there is a Herb's Howlers website, apparently maintained by his son... I would send an e-mail info@herbshowlers.com to them and ask their advice before doing anything to it....

As an alternative, contact Tony Tebbe as suggested..He converted my grandfather's huntsman horn to a howler for me and it's one of my prized pieces..

Tony may be on the way to Globe and may not get back to you right away..

Nikonut has a little history on it and some good advice as well...

I sent Herb's Howlers an email as recommended. The howler is not signed with a pen but the Herb's Howlers on the outside of the horn appears to be carved/scratched in with a knife.

Thanks for the advice.

Quote:
I sent Herb's Howlers an email as recommended. The howler is not signed with a pen but the Herb's Howlers on the outside of the horn appears to be carved/scratched in with a knife.

Thanks for the advice.

Dude!! hold onto that bugger!! Carved signature is awesome!! I have one of Rich Cronk's earlier howlers with a pill bottle full of reeds and a cassette tape with him explaining how to work the call.
Those calls are works of art from the forerunners of the sport. Be glad you found it before a dog/critter got ahold of it and chewed it up

Trashcan
DCC

Edited by Nikonut:
Edited to correct a spelling error, changed "Carver signature" to "Carved signature" to eliminate any confusion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grizz here...
What the hey? I've got a Herb's howler. I bought this howler back in the 80s. A buddy of mine whom I've lost contact with hunted with Herb a few times. At one time I had one of Herbs vidios on VHS. It was freaking hysterical, you have to see it, cigarette smokeing ect. Dont know if its still around here. My howler is not signed or ingraved, but you can tell it's a "Herbs" by the unique tone board. Is it really collectable ? Oh, I also have a set of Herbs shooting sticks.

Hey Grizzlyone,

Quote:
My howler is not signed or ingraved, but you can tell it's a "Herbs" by the unique tone board. Is it really collectable ? Oh, I also have a set of Herbs shooting sticks.

Simple answer... YES!

Herb's howlers were in the forefront of the calling/howling craze. That makes him one of the originator's of what coyote hunting has become.
What is the actual value? That is hard to say, but I'd hold out for at least $100-150 or more especially if your friend hunted with Herb and that is where you got the howler. It would also help to have the provenance to prove it... like a picture or something.
Being that Herb is still around you could easily document that fact. Collecting can really skyrocket if a particular item is hard to get or very rare or an early example. Herb's been at this since the 60's! Take good care of that howler! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nikonut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Grizz here.
My buddys name was Mike Black. Last I heard he was living
in the Seattle area and I think old Herb was in Oregon or Washington state, not shure. I bought the Howler through the mail back in the 80s. Dang! I was getting ready to put this howler into our predator calling clubs little BS auction where someone would have picked it up for a few bucks (the money goes into the club treasury). Not anymore. If it goes on auction, it will be on ebay or maby here Grizz.

Here are some pictures of the howler. I put the calf band on the board/reed. I don't know if a mouse got the original one or if it didn't come with one.
Picture002.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Herb never made a pretty howler and there have been reports of some made from green horns showing up in the mailbox smelling bad and 2 reports of howlers snet that had worms included at no additional charge.

His howlers, however, produced good sounds and were favorite tools for those few who learned early about the effectiveness of howling.

For the most part he scratched his name on the horns. There are a few unmistakeable howlers that no signature can be discerned.

If you ever think you might have a Herb Howler and cannot find any name, take a close look at the glue holding the toneboard in place and also a close look at the reed. Herb had a humorous side that sometimes shows in the reed materials he used.

His howlers may bring upwards to $150 but that's about it. They will never (IMHO) be worth much more.

Thanks for weighing in on this one Jay!

Your assessment says it fairly well and adds much validity to what has already been said!

I think the most important thing to remember is that these howlers were some of the first of their kind and represent a stage in the developement of calling and howling.

They aren't pretty and only the earliest or most unusual ones would be worth the top dollars. Still very collectible and just fun to own! Their monetary value will never be ultra high but their historical value already is... enjoy!

Thanks for all the input. I'm going to go back to the rancher and explain that this call is more than just a typical coyote call and give him a chance to take it back. I wouldn't feel right taking something just because the guy didn't know what it was. It's not like I got it at an auction in a box of junk.

Hey Billy,

That would be an honorable thing to do...

I might be tempted to take along a couple of calls for a trade. Seems this rancher might enjoy a more modern call that he could easily carry... just a thought! I'd certainly offer to take him out calling, too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Quote:
I'd certainly offer to take him out calling

Heck, I'd take him out for dinner and a show. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back