Wabbitts Shhhhh

Grampas Shop

Well the end of our normal hunting (Pheasant & Quail) season was on the 31st of Jan.

While out hunting birds, we were seeing lots of jackrabbits. Between the boss & I early last week, we had said we need to go out and walk some of these areas with our shotguns. The plans were made and the wheels were turning. A group of us got together saturday and sunday. Ended up shooting right around 220 rabbits, mostly jacks.

The shooting was fast & not near as easy as it might sound as the rabbits are running & dodging back & forth around the sagebrush. Some of the guys found that the 2 boxes of shells were not enough before we made a good start.

Many rabbits escaped to replenish the supply for shooting later on this spring/summer.

If I were to guess, around 150 of these were shot off of one section of ground. Here in KS the land is irrigated with center pivot sprinklers so there is a sprinkler per quarter of ground. This leaves a corner of 7 acres. The corners were the only thing we walked and we only walked 14 of the 16 on the section.

By the time we made it back to starting point the hawks were already dining out.

Gonna give them a day or 2 and then go by to see if the coyotes have found them.

I love shooting rabbits like that! I have a really good spot of thick sage between two flat open fields 2 or 3 of us walk up and down it shoot the ones in the sage with the shottys and if they take off through the fields we get a lil pistol or even AR practice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I was out calling with a friend one morning. We had set up over a small canyon like cut thru the hills, the walls of it where sandstone, rocky type cliffs no more than 75 to 100 feet to the bottom where there was sage brush and grassy bottom. Well the calling was real slow so we sat on top at the edge of this drop off in our chairs, taking turns sniping jacks for a couple hours. It didnt result in a truck load of rabbits but it was a fun way to spend some time when the calling on that day was dismal.

Usually starting in April or May when the new corn is about 2" tall is when we start going after the jacks. Like you say, set out in a spot and shoot them as they come into the open. Have to have a few spots like this as it does get ripe after shooting a bunch of rabbits and then the temps get into the 70's & 80's. I would rather set there and shoot them with a rifle than anything.

Back