Rem SP10ga or Browning Gold 10ga ?

varmit_master

hi i have owned 2 Rem SP 10ga's . i thought about buying a Gold r they about the same? the Gold cost less. and it holds 4 shells dont it. i love the Rem's. wish they would hold one more shell. so tell me what u think about the 2.

i have a gold and bps both in 10 ga....no problems and the biggest reason i went with the gold was the weight....depending on how new the gold is, it could be almost 2 lbs. lighter than a Sp....my brother has an older gold and his is still a good bit lighter than the sp....my gold was the first year of their lighter design (i THINK i got it in '05?? ) and i love it...operation wise i don't think you can go wrong.

My Gold 10 holds 3. From my real life personal experience I would trade the gold for an SP anyday. Gold + ice and snow = no boom

My dad has a gold 12 that is a real PIA too.

KH

First, in response to the guy that would trade a Gold for
an SP, be careful what you wish for /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif First, your
Gold hold 5, 4 in the mag, and one in the pipe. You do have
to remove the mag. tube plug, to get to 5.

Here is my take on the Golds vs. the SPs. First let me say
that I am a long time Remington guy. The SP isn't a
Remington, it is the old Ithica Mag 10, with a few upgrades.
The Gold is a Browning design, and MUCH simpler to clean,
due to MUCH fewer parts, than the SP-10. In our waterfowl
hunting group, there are 4 guys, three own Golds, and one
owns an SP-10. The first gun purchased in the group was
a SP-10, and the rest of us watched the poor owner, using
many different tools, strip and clean his shotgun, after
a day of rain, snow, dust, and mud. The rest of us
purchased Golds, and we have stripped our shotguns, cleaned
them, lubed, and re-assembled them, and are on our second
beer, before the SP-10 owner is finally buttoning up his
shotgun.

As for reliability, give me a Gold 10 over an SP-10, any
day, in any conditions. We hunt in the dust and
wind of the Dakotas, to the ice and snow of Wisconsin,
and my Gold has never choked. I did have some failure
to ejects, but it was traced to some bad Remington ammo,
that had hull lengths out of spec. All of the 10's were
choking on it, including the SP-10. One thing to mention,
I do not neglect my gun maintenance. If the gun gets
wet, it gets dried, and cleaned. When the round count
gets up around 50, even in dry weather, the gun gets
cleaned. Almost all problems, with reliability in
semi-auto shotguns can be traced to poor maintenance,
or worn parts, with poor maintenance being the biggest
reason. So I prefer a simple design shotgun, so maintenance
is a simpler, faster task. The Gold 10, is clearly superior
to the SP-10, just in the much simpler, fewer parts, design.

Squeeze

hi i was looking at the Gold lite. i will be shooting 2 1\4oz loads from lead bbs and heavyshot 5's to #1 buckshot . i will use it on coyotes and turkeys and deer . i could shoot 3 rds thru the Rem ok. but has lite has the Gold is i bet u can tell it.

I have the original Gold 10, which weighs in just over
10 lbs. My nephew, and a close friend, have the LW Stalker,
which I believe weighs in just over 9 lbs. I have heard
no complaints about recoil, from either of them. I do
load my own 10 ga., ammo, for turkeys, and waterfowl, and
my buffered 2 oz Hevi-Shot load will flat out hurt you.
When I first developed it, is smacked me so hard, I
checked the barrel, to be sure I hadn't bulged it in
front of the choke tube. I shoot some big stuff, in
rifles, and shotguns, and when I touched off the first
2 oz. Hevi-Shot load, it got my attention /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
I can't say that I have ever had any factory 10 ga. ammo
get my attention, so if you shoot factory ammo, you should
be fine, even in a 9 lb Browning Gold 10 Lite. Now if you
want recoil, pick up a Browning BPS 10 ga. That gun will
hurt you, with stout factory ammo. The Gold, and the Gold
Lite, shoot much softer, for felt recoil.

Squeeze

Quote:

Now if you
want recoil, pick up a Browning BPS 10 ga. That gun will
hurt you, with stout factory ammo.

very true statement!!!!....my brother and i constantly dare each other to shoot my BPS with a smoothbore slug....neither of us have been man enough yet and we are always looking for a test dummy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif....although THAT person may never want to shoot a gun again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif

I don't know about the other guys.But I can take my sp10 apart all the way in about 5mins. I've no problems all though I will admit it's dang heavy.

i went yesterday and bought a Rem SP 10ga like i wanted mossy oak break up 23 inch barrel a kicks turkey choke 92% little few carrying marks for 800.00 i fount a Gold for 1000.00 used he said hadnt had a box of shelles shot thru it. all i need done to the SP is have the forcing cone cut out of the barrel and have a custom buckshot choke made.vm

I have 2 golds and one bps in 10 guage. Hands down, Golds are lighter and hold an extra shell. I have never had an ejection problem with either. I am a Remington fan and own tons of 700s but would never purchase thier SP10s. They look like and feel as heavy as a cannon compaired to the brownings. My NWTF edition with the 23" barrel is my favortite but i am debating about trading it for an SBE2 being there are not many options out there for shells anymore and the ones that are available run usually twice the price of twelve guage shells. I have been taking my lighter A390 12 guage with me as a calling shotgun and along with 3" BBs. I have been knocking down Yotes out to 60 yards so far. The 10s recoil is light but after miles of carring it around I'm not feeling the trade off is worth it anymore. If I trade next week I still have a pattern master extended choke tube never used still in the carton if anyones a player otherwise its heading to ebay. I also have around 4 to 5 boxes or so of Federals #4 buck and a box of 25 of copper plated BB.

Back