357 revolver guys, I need some info!!

skeetlee

I guess i talked my self into trying pistol shooting one more time. I found a local deal on a ruger GP-100 4". I bought it. Now i need some input on reloading options.

Brass- Do i buy 357 brass and load the loads down a bit for comfort, or do i buy 38 special brass?

Bullets- I have boughten a couple Hornady die sets here the past month and i have some coupons for 200 free bullets. The Now with these bullets does it matter what brass i buy? I am thinking about just buying 500 357mag brass and just load them down. Can I do this or is this a bad choice. Basically what i am after is some info on what to do with these free bullets i am getting. They do not offer anything else on the list of free bullets that i would use in anything else, so i am going to select these 110gr xtp for my free bullets. Please advise. Lee

You can load down the .357 brass and you can also load it to full potential when you want to load magnum strength loads, so it is probably the most versatile choice. In your shoes I would buy the Magnum brass.

Regarding bullets, what purpose would they be intended for? That would determine what Hornady bullet I choose. Not knowing your answer to that question I will venture out on a limb here though and tell you the 110 gr. weight would be the last one I would choose for any purpose. The 125, 140, or 158 grain weights would all be better IMHO.

I much prefer to load down the .357 cases due to the powder ring that is left in the cylinder from the .38spl rounds.

If that ring is allowed to build up and you switch back to the .357 cartridges, you can have serious problems with getting the fired cases to extract easily should the need to speed load arise..

Like GC, the 125 gr. would be the most preferable for light loads, as they can be loaded to full max and make good self defense rounds, with lower recoil..

The only reason I am getting the 110gr bullets is because of the free bullet promotion Hornady has going on. I have 2 coupons for 100 free bullet less shipping and handeling. The list of free bullets to choose from is terrible!! These are the only bullets offered i can even think about using. These will be for range fun! Thanks Guys Lee

Well, I like shooting the magnum load. This way I am used to that cartridge. I have a gp100 as well and really like it. Have fun with that pistola.

Skeetlee,
If you are loading some very light loads, be sure that you use a higher volume powder to avoid "detonation" instead of combustion of that powder.

Some .38spl shooters have blown-up their revolvers due to too light a load of Bullseye, for example.

Enjoy your .357Mag., they are fun to shoot.

Karl in Phoenix

Heck Skeet if they are free order the 110's and just use them for a little paper practice. Now I have a 4" GP100 too and tend to agree with the above posters on desirable bullet weight for other ammo you load.

But if these are FREE, and you are going to just punch paper and get accustomed to the revolver with them, that won't hurt a thing. I seriously doubt that you will be in danger of one bouncing back off the paper target and giving you a boo-boo.

When you get a few bucks to spare get some 125's and some 158's for 'working' loads.

I recently got a taurus tracker in 357 mag as well.

I really like the pistol. The porting is nice IMO.

I would just buy 357 mag brass, seems to be more versatile, load it up for magnum loads, or down for 38 spl loads.

The only bullets I've shot out of mine so far are the 158g XTP's behind H-110. I am getting 1200fps and about 5" (7shot) groups offhand at 25 yards. With a rest, I can hit the 10" gong every time at 50 yards.

The full power 158's have a bit of jump though. Or at least I still think they do.

I am going to buy some 125g XTP's next for coyotes and a little bit lighter recoiling and just plinking. THere a few bucks cheaper then the 158's which I"ll leave for deer.

Watch loading the 110's hot. 357's had problems with burning the forcing
cones with them back in 60's. Once the switch was made to 125's the problem
vanished. Don't imagine there is any problem with loading them as plinkers,
but I favor lead for lighter loads anyway.

First get loading manual, study it, then go slow. It's easy to double charge some fast burning powders like Bullseye, so be careful. I mostly use Unique & 2400, dirty, but a lot of options for differnt bullet wts. & loads. I mostly use 357 brass but pick up a lot of once fired 38's at the range.Never shoot loaded ammo you find, or reloads from strangers.

why anyone would want to shoot magnum loads for plinking and target shooting is a mystery. After a few shots it can get painful. After that you have to have supreme concentration to maintain a proper trigger squeeze and sight alignment. Practice with the light loads, have more fun. Load a few hot ones to carry in the gun. Ain't nothing wrong with the 148 grain wc lead bullet.

I bought a bag of 110 gr. bullets and I liked them well enough. They are screaming out of a .357, but recoil was still light. On the other hand lead cast bullets are pretty cheap and work well for light range loads, maybe you could use your coupons for bullets in different calibers you reload...just another option.

Karl in Ph.

I was at the range one day instructing a guy shooting a 38 spl. 6" revolver. His gun stopped working and he turned to me and asked what was wrong. Normally it would be a high primer or something like that. I checked his gun. The top three chambers in his cylinder was gone. Cut directly in half. The top strap in the frame over the cylinders was gone also. When the gun blew he didn't notice anything different and neither did I. He was trying to shoot the next shot. How we avoided all that flying metal, I don't know. We speculated at the time that it was a light load. Never will know.

You can load them anyway you want, but I would stick with 357 Brass, less chance of mixing a 38 spl case into a bunch of hot 357 loads. 158 grn cast will load down just fine and can even be loaded up respectibly for defensive loads look at the 125 grn JHP from about any maker.

My 686 is very accurate with the 158gr Hornady XTP/FP. For a light plinker I have been loading Berry's Plated 125gr HP bullets over bullseye, but mine have been in .38 cases.

Back