Mad at mossberg

Bryan8

So for Christmas, I bought my dad a Mossberg 802 Plinkster bolt action .22lr. My dad dose not hunt, so I bought this to try and get him into hunting and shooting. So A few days after x-mas, I put the scope I bought on it, and we went to the range. When we got there, I noticed that the scope wasn't pointing down the barrel straight. So we went home, and I returned the scope, because I thought it was the cheep Gamo scope. A put my scope on it from my Ruger 10/22, and it was still cocked to one side. So i took it off, and looked down the barrel. The the receiver, and the barrel are not in line!!! The barrel points way to the left. I called dick's sporting goods, and told them. They said that it wasn't there problem, and I had to deal with Mossberg!.... So i got to call Mossberg on Monday, and try to sort things out. Gurr....

Just needed to vent..

Last edited:
If it's a problem with the gun, Mossberg has a reputation for some of the best warranty work in the gun market. They should clear up the problem, if it is the gun. But, before you send it in, make certain the scope mounts are not the problem. The grooves may be cut at an angle on the receiver, but very common is the cheap scope mounts being out of alignment. This will angle the scope left or right of the barrel. Sometimes this can be corrected by switching positions of the mounts, front to back. Sometimes you just have to get new mounts.

I have seen scope base problems much more often than grooves in the receiver being cut cockeyed, or the barrel being out of line with the receiver. So, check this first before you invest in some shipping costs.

you should be more upset with a gun dealer who won't honor the quality of the items he sells!! Take it back to the store and demand a refund!

I've never seen another business that will have a customer walk in with a pocket full of money to spend and then treat them with more disrespect and then not stand behind the products they sell than the average gun shop...It never Ceases to Amaze Me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Quote:
If it's a problem with the gun, Mossberg has a reputation for some of the best warranty work in the gun market. They should clear up the problem, if it is the gun. But, before you send it in, make certain the scope mounts are not the problem. The grooves may be cut at an angle on the receiver, but very common is the cheap scope mounts being out of alignment. This will angle the scope left or right of the barrel. Sometimes this can be corrected by switching positions of the mounts, front to back. Sometimes you just have to get new mounts.

I have seen scope base problems much more often than grooves in the receiver being cut cockeyed, or the barrel being out of line with the receiver. So, check this first before you invest in some shipping costs.

Im sure its not the scope, I tried 3 or 4 different ones, including the one from my 30-06. Also When you look down the receiver and the barrel, from the stock end, you can tell the barrel points to left. I set a laser level on the receiver, and the the barrel was tilted to the left,

so like this:
\

with the 0 being the receiver and the \ being the barrel.
* not to scale, with the tilt

MTurbo

Sportsmans Warehouse does the same thing. They always ask you to "look the gun over carefully because all sales are final; there are no returns or exchanges!"

Like every problem with a rifle can be found by giving a cursory look while at the gun shop.

Landrum

Quote:
you should be more upset with a gun dealer who won't honor the quality of the items he sells!! Take it back to the store and demand a refund!

I've never seen another business that will have a customer walk in with a pocket full of money to spend and then treat them with more disrespect and then not stand behind the products they sell than the average gun shop...It never Ceases to Amaze Me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Yea its a all sales final. It [beeep] me off that they can sell defective merchandise, and you cant return it. They basically could mess up the guns, and sell them just to make money.

Hopefully Mossberg will fix it for free. But now I got to waste gas money to drive to the ups store, and I also got to waste more money on shipping charges.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Bryan

Whenever I have to return a rifle, I take it back to the store from which I purchased it and tell them that the manufacturer suggested that I have them return it. I've only had to do it twice over the years but I did not pay a penny, either time, for shipping.

Landrum

Quote:
Yea its a all sales final. It [beeep] me off that they can sell defective merchandise, and you cant return it. They basically could mess up the guns, and sell them just to make money.

Hopefully Mossberg will fix it for free. But now I got to waste gas money to drive to the ups store, and I also got to waste more money on shipping charges.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Quote:
Quote:

Im sure its not the scope, I tried 3 or 4 different ones, including the one from my 30-06. Also When you look down the receiver and the barrel, from the stock end, you can tell the barrel points to left. I set a laser level on the receiver, and the the barrel was tilted to the left,

so like this:
\

If the barrel points to the left, it could be one of several things causing the misalignment, but on a new gun, Mossberg should make it right. And, from what I understand, they are pretty quick on their repair and returns. Just be glad it's not a Benelli you have to have fixed.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

so like this:
\

If the barrel points to the left, it could be one of several things causing the misalignment, but on a new gun, Mossberg should make it right. And, from what I understand, they are pretty quick on their repair and returns. Just be glad it's not a Benelli you have to have fixed.

Amen to that one! No more Benellis for me.

Walmart said the same thing with guns and stuff I have bought from them. You just have to go off on them, they will fix the problem. I just told them to call the store manager, then the district manager, if that didnt work we would keep going. They fixed the problem.

Quote:
Walmart said the same thing with guns and stuff I have bought from them. You just have to go off on them, they will fix the problem. I just told them to call the store manager, then the district manager, if that didnt work we would keep going. They fixed the problem.

Yep i bought a gun from dicks a few years ago it was a savage 300 win mag. That thing was a pos never shoot worth a darn at all. Took it to dicks they told me the same thing there telling you. But with a little [beeep] raised they replaced the gun with a weatherby 22-250 vanguard told them i didnt want another savage. Come to find out there was some blocks in the stock that broke of the savage that caused the problem. Call the head man in charge and explain things dont mess with the wanbe managers in the store.

One rule of thumb is never take a gun home without a careful inspection and operation check. You can't test drive a rifle, but you can check for function, fit and if the safety and trigger work, and oh yah and if the barrel is on straight before you take it out of the store.

It's also a good idea to talk about the return policy if you find problems with the new gun instead of afterwords and get that policy in writing before you plunk your money down and walk out of the store. There are business that depend on more that one time customers and those usually take good care of their customers.

I always buy from independent dealers, for a couple bucks more you'll get service. The big discounters won't stand up for your gun rights either, around here Wallmart won't even sell guns & ammo at some of the stores. Support your local dealer and you'll get better service, people who know the product,not just clerks. Funny, but 30 yrs ago Dicks was an independent dealer in upstate NY that complained about discount stores.

I had a problem with a Marlin Guide Gun I bought at Bass Pro Shops. You couldn't hit the floor with the thing. I took it back to BP, and they said all gun sales are final, and that I should send it back to Marlin, and they will take care of any problems. I told them that they sold me a defective gun and that if it wouldn't shoot where it was aimed, there was a possiblity of hitting something I didn't want to hit. If there was any litigation involved, "you can be sure that Bass Pro, the salesman, any managers that were on duty, and anyone else I could think of would be involved too." They took the gun, sent it back to Marlin, and I had a new one delivered to my house in 8 days! Everyone hates lawyers!
Just stand up for your self, and you'll get what you deserve.
John

i got a 357 mag rossi revolver from cabelas had a spring come out of place couldnt fix myself took back to cabelas 4 months after i bought they replaced with new no problem

Quote:
I always buy from independent dealers, for a couple bucks more you'll get service. The big discounters won't stand up for your gun rights either, around here Wallmart won't even sell guns & ammo at some of the stores. Support your local dealer and you'll get better service, people who know the product,not just clerks. Funny, but 30 yrs ago Dicks was an independent dealer in upstate NY that complained about discount stores.

You hit the nail on the head. The local dealer her in town where i live if you buy a new used gun dont matter what it is if you have a problem with it he treats the problem like his own. He is higher on price but you dont get the BS like with the discount places you right. One thing i have often wondered if the discount places dont get seconds. I have asked a few and of course they say no but i have got more lemons and herd of more lemons from discount places then of any dealer.

Many states have a law saying anything sold to you must do what it is supposed to do. If not, the merchant must either fix it or take it back for refund. There usually is a time limit, after which only the maufacturer has to fix it.

Jack

Back