speer tnt's?

cowpoke

I have just begun reloading for centerfire, so far it has been enjoyable and interesting, albeit initial set up is a little tough on the check book.

I am curious as to how folk's experience had been with speer tnt bullets, particularly with the 22 cal 50 grainers and the 243 cal 70 grainers for accuracy and to a lesser extent pelt damage on critters.

I am considering giving them a try in my 222, 223 and 243.

I realize the every gun likes a little different flavor, but in general are they worth giving a try or should I not bother.

Thanks again for all the great insight on this forum.

I have only used the the 22's, and 30 calibers. But they have been great bullets. Very accurite, with little pelt damage in the 22's. The 6mm might leave you with some holes to sew.

Quote:
I have just begun reloading for centerfire, so far it has been enjoyable and interesting, albeit initial set up is a little tough on the check book.

I am curious as to how folk's experience had been with speer tnt bullets, particularly with the 22 cal 50 grainers and the 243 cal 70 grainers for accuracy and to a lesser extent pelt damage on critters.

I am considering giving them a try in my 222, 223 and 243.

I realize the every gun likes a little different flavor, but in general are they worth giving a try or should I not bother.

Thanks again for all the great insight on this forum.

I've found the Speer TNT bullets to be about the best bullets I've ever used. The accuracy is far better than other makers bullets. I use the 22, 25 and 7mm caliber TNT's. Accuracy from all of them is just unbelievable. I'm shooting groups today that I never dreamed of shooting, all with the TNT bullets. Speer has got themselves a winner with them. If I were to tell people years ago that I shoot 3 shots at 100 yards with a 7x57 that measure less than 1/2", they would have had me committed to a mental institution.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
And the same is true with 7 rifles I have in 25 caliber, all shooting the 87 grain TNT into less than 1/2" groups. I don't own a rifle that won't shoot them, and that in istelf is amazing.
The only other bullets that I've shot with similar accuracy are the ones made by Clint Starke, and he quit making his excellent bullets, unfortunately.

Martyn

Last edited:
In that 223 try 26.5gr. Benchmark with the 50TNT, I have used it in 3 different rifles with outstanding results. I use a stiff load of Varget and the 70TNT in my 243 M70 Fwt. Wish they were still as cheap and easy to get in bulk as they used to be. May have to find something else when the ones I have run out.

Back in the day, I was buying the TNT's, 20 ammo cans at a time. They were unreal accurate out of my Rem 700 223, 22PPC, and 243 AI.

I was on the tail end of my benchrest shooting career and loved to make my own bullets. After shooting the 70g TNT in a 6 PPC and a 6 BR, I sold the bullet making dies.

I have been wanting to try some in other calibers, and due to some of the posters, I think that I will try to find some of the 87's in 25 Cal and others.

My .243 shoots the 70's reasonably well (varies between .5"@100 and about 1.3"@100). Killed 2 yotes with them, entrance only and no exit, first was quartering towards me and took it in the base of the neck/shoulder area at about 50 yds, second was at 117 broadside. So far I like them fine.

I too have some prized groups from the 224 family. I use mostly 1/8 twist bulls.Never had one fly apart and they kill coyotes very nicely. They will shoot a 5 shot 1/4 inch group through any Ar I have.
Jerryboy

At least 4000 p-dogs at the recieving end of my guns say they are explosive and deadly!
I snatch them up when I can. I like the 50 & 52 gr.

Quote:
Back in the day, I was buying the TNT's, 20 ammo cans at a time. They were unreal accurate out of my Rem 700 223, 22PPC, and 243 AI.

I was on the tail end of my benchrest shooting career and loved to make my own bullets. After shooting the 70g TNT in a 6 PPC and a 6 BR, I sold the bullet making dies.

I have been wanting to try some in other calibers, and due to some of the posters, I think that I will try to find some of the 87's in 25 Cal and others.

The 87 grain Speer SP is almost as accurate as Speer's 87 grain TNT. When I say almost, I mean within a tenth of an inch at 100 yards for three shots. Another 25 caliber bullet I have good luck with is Sierra's 90 grain HPBT.

The 70g TNT shoots very well in my custom 243.

It ranks right up there with the Nosler 70g BT and the Berger 74g as far as accuracy goes and puts down coyote size critters very quickly.

The TNTs through my various .223s and 6mms shoot amazingly well for a "bulk" type bullet. I haven't found a more accurate bullet when shooting my 6WOA, very consistant.

The 30 cal 125 grn TNT's are great on yotes but a bit messy, on PD's they flat boom, splat them, but there is never a question if you hit the little bugger cause they are spread out about eight or ten feet behind to hill.

I have a couple boxes of these 243 70 tnt bullets. What powders have you had good luck with? I may have to try em out. On yotes, do you get messy exits? Blow up inside?

Thanks crapshoot. I am asking everyone with experience. I know there are probably lots that will work, but sometimes there are go to powders like Varget and 4064 for a 308.

Possible powders I have on hand are Varget, H4895, H335?, W748, I4064, I4350.

Back