Bubba’s Grand Finale-10 coyotes in one day! The END.

mikegranger

It’s that time of year, the last Bubba story of the 2008-2009 coyote season. We’re stopping a little early as work has me traveling to Florida and Washington D.C. over the next 3 weeks.

We had a great year, lots of interesting stories, stuck way more than I would like to admit: Matter of fact, my last “stuck” episode was a duzzie! What do you think?

IMG_0025-1.jpg

The lesson I had to relearn was: Don’t believe everything you hear about being able to drive a pickup on ice!

I’ve been checking the forecast and predictions were for light winds and clear skies at the beginning of the week. That’s all I needed to know and after the Super Bowl me, Bubba and Whitey headed to the hinter lands. For the unenlightened, sleeping in a 19 foot trailer with a single catalytic heater when temps drop down to zero, is rather chilly. Come morning the 5 gallon water jug inside the trailer was half frozen! No need to turn on the fridge as we were already an “ice box”! But, as my lovely wife says, I like the cold!

Most of northern Montana still has a foot of snow. Our first stand of the day was easy as I called right off of a plowed gas well access road. That was by far the easiest walking of the entire hunt. No coyotes but it sure felt good to be outside enjoying a beautiful winter day.

I’d had enough of getting stuck this year (7 times if anyone is counting) and with the snow now having a hard cap of ice, instead of driving off of a plowed road, figured walking was in order. Unfortunately, I left the snow shoes in the truck for the next stand figuring the frozen cap would allow for easy walking. WRONG! I’d walked too far from the truck by the time I admitted to myself how stupid it was for trying to walk without snowshoes through so much snow. The 1/2 mile walk had me overheated and questioning my sanity. We finally arrived at a good calling spot and as you can see by the video, overlooking a large flat. After the first series of howls, a group of coyotes responded with quiet the serenade! I kept up with the howls and finally got a glimpse of the 3 coyotes to our north 3/4 mile away. They looked interested so we responded back and forth until they’d had enough and decided it was time to whip the intruder! There was a 5-8 mph breeze from my right (north) to left (south). The following two video’s explain the situation much better so click on the picture and enjoy the ride.

Of course, the coyote ran away from the truck another 200 yards before dying!

We got the one circling down wind and that was it for the day. Calling was tough, getting around was tougher. Believe me though, the snowshoes were on my feet every time we got out of the truck!

IMG_0047.jpg

Vintage 1943 military snowshoes. Just because they’re old doesn’t mean they don’t work!

We saw four more coyote during the day but nothing responded to the calls.

That night, while sitting in the trailer listening to the local radio station, the forecast called for light and variable winds, sunny and temps in the mid-teens. Perfect calling weather. Little did I know how true my prediction was to be!

HOMnominatedbanner.jpg

Day two gets real exciting, hold onto your hats!

Sunrise found us getting out of the truck and about to embark on another 1/2 mile hike. While I was getting the collar on Bubba a pack of coyotes began howling about a mile up the road. We loaded back up and drove as close as I dared. In no time the snowshoes were strapped on and off we go. Whenever I know coyotes are near, I keep Bubba right at my heels. Otherwise, he’ll scent a hot track and be off before I realize he’s gone. We set up on a good looking hill and within seconds of blowing the critr call (I use a real high pitched squeal when they’re close) a coyote is coming our way. He’s 300 yards out charging hard. Bubba hadn’t seen him yet so I bring him back to me. Sure enough the coyote sees the hound and vice versa. My plan was unfolding perfectly. Bubba was on his way to greet the coyote when another two appear off to our left, midway between the charging coyote and me. Bubba can hold his own with one coyote but I won’t let him get into a situation where he’s outnumbered. I tone him to come back and all three coyotes are now closing quickly, focused intently on the dog. I get down on the rifle, prepared to shoot any second, when a forth coyote comes in from behind us! It’s only 30 yards out, 3 are 100 yards and closing hard and Bubba’s at 25 yards facing the onslaught, ready to take on all comers! Like I’ve said many times, he’s the Wonder Dog! I couldn’t stand it anymore and thump the closest dog. Everything scatters but one of the 3 just has to stop and look back. It won’t make that mistake again. Nothing like starting the day with a double. Both of us were pumped. So much so that I forgot to take pictures!

The next stand was less than a mile away. A female came in but wouldn’t get any closer than 300 yards (happens a lot with females when they see Bubba). I took the shot and she ran another 200 yards before expiring. Still no pictures as I was taking video. The video was crappy. Trust me, it’s hard to call, video with a hand held camera and shoot!

We’re on a roll, it’s not even 0930 and 3 coyotes are dead. We’re both loving life. We continue up the same road but come to some deep snow drifts. I’m not taking any chances and unload the Honda Trail 90. I really like this little bike. It’s light, quiet and will ride over the top of drifted snow if there’s a frozen cap. The only problem is Bubba has to run alongside. Not a big deal until we get several miles from the truck.

IMG_0049-1.jpg

The next stand has us overlooking another large flat. I glass a bit before calling and quickly spot 4 coyotes laying in the snow. Oh boy, this was going to be good. I again tried my hand at the video game, fair warning, these aren’t the best quality but I’m sure you’ll enjoy the show. This time get some popcorn, there’s a few clips.

It's noon and we’ve got 5 dead coyotes. God is surely smiling on me today. Off Bubba and I go to the next stand. This time he gets to run two miles.

Mike,
Great post. By the way you can drive onice it just needs to obviously be thicker than it was when you decided to drive on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Thanks for the videos. How close were they when we could see all 4 of them? And is it just too hard to video and shoot in these situations for you to keep the camera rolling?

CW,

Thanks for the tip on ice driving! I figured that one out real quick. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

My camera is a Canon Powershot S80 which is actually a point and shoot that takes video. It stays in my front pocket and obviously isn't on a tripod. I haven't perfected the art of filming with one hand, shooting with the other and making sure Bubba is clear. It does get a little complicated at times. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif But I'm not complaining one little bit.

What fun you two seem to have!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif
It's gonna be a LOOONG Spring/Summer waiting on more Bubba stories! (can you say "withdrawal symptoms"???) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nice videos were great. What about a rifle mounted video?
After being skunked for the past 2 months, your videos and stories give me hope.....
If you breed that dog let us know!
Thanks!
Rick H...

Wow! Every time I read about Mike and Bubba, I can't wait to see the latest chapter in this story. I really want a mtn cur to start working with. These stories are awesome!!

We set up on a slight rise in a heavily grazed pasture. After the first series of howls, two packs of coyotes filled the silence with their responses. We concentrate on the group to the east as the group behind us (west) is downwind. The eastern pack is a long way off but figured since things were responding so well, they just might come in. I howl and howl, they respond several times but it’s hard to tell if they’re coming. A group of deer were standing on the hillside close to where the howls were originating and it appeared they were looking at something. I was hoping for the best and committed to sitting on this stand twice as long as normal, 30 minutes instead of 15. At minute 25 I was putting my calls up when I just happened to glance at the hill where the deer were standing. I thought I saw something heading our way and a quick look with the binoculars caught a glimpse of a coyote as it disappeared from view. Sweet! I flop back down on the ground and get ready for another rodeo. Bubba’s ready but the darn coyotes didn’t show. We wait and wait, the silence was killing both of us so I fill the air with high pitched screams from the critr call. That was all it took, here they came, 3 coyotes charging hard. I tried to get decent video they came so fast I had to drop the camera and start shooting. Fortunately, I’m much better replaying the action after the fact. Here’s the play by play.

Ok, it’s almost 3 in the afternoon and we’ve got 8 skinned coyotes. I’ve matched the record Redfrog and I set in Canada of 8 in a day. The skins are loaded on the Trail 90 and we head back 3 miles to the truck. Bubba is dog tired by now and I hold up every mile and wait for him.

IMG_0078.jpg

A sight not seen every day, 66 year old snowshoes strapped to a 35 year old motorcycle, with a few dead coyotes as decoration.

By the time we get everything loaded into the truck it’s 430 in the afternoon and just about an hour left of daylight. We hurry to the next stand but nothing came in. On the way back to the truck I top a small rise and spot a coyote at 200 yards. It stands there while I flop on the ground. I didn’t let Bubba have any fun on this one and make a quick shot. I just broke my one day record and have 9 coyotes. As you can tell by the picture, I’m pretty darn happy.

IMG_0081.jpg

As you can see in the picture, I have just enough light to make one more stand. Off we go and two miles up the road I stop for the final stand of the day.

There’s maybe 15 minutes left of shooting light by the time we trudge through the snow and get to a good overlook. I let loose with everything; howls, rabbit calls, chirps, barks and yelps. This is when a good range finder is invaluable. Everything looks a long ways away at dusk so I range anywhere a coyote may appear. After the range finding was done, I pick up the binocs hoping to spot something coming. Sure enough, a coyotes standing there at 325 yards, barely visible. I squeak a few times and he comes closer. At 225 yards he’s standing broadside and that’s all I needed to drop the hammer. Bubba never did see him. To my utter amazement, we just finished a 10 coyote day!

My wife called once we were back to the camper. I said we had a great day and got 10. Her response was “Holy Smokes, Ten!” My sentiments exactly!

After such a great day, I debated going out at all on the next morning as we had to hit the road by noon. But, I’m about as die hard of a coyote hunter as you’ll find so the thought was pushed out of my mind rather quickly.

Daybreak found us calling the exact same spot as the morning before. AmI nuts? Well, could be but I’ve called and killed coyotes in the same spot two days in a row before. No coyotes came but I did have one howling.

The next stand required Bubba and I walk 1 1/2 miles across another big flat to get to a great looking stand of russian olives. Coyotes tend to bed in thick stands of russian olive and I was hoping they really liked this stand.

Once we began calling, a coyote immediately appeared peering through the trees and the range finder said it was 286 yards away. It was looking straight at me and I normally will wait for them to turn broadside but this coyote wasn’t moving an inch. No problem, or so I thought. I hate missing.

I kept calling and a few minutes later another coyote appeared but he was circling downwind at 250 yards. When he stopped broadside I let a bullet fly. I could see the hit and he took off, piling up 50 yards later. Bubba ran over to make sure he was dead and while he was gone another coyote appeared out of the brush. This one was only 100 yards away and never saw me laying in the snow, as it was watching the Wonder Dog. A well placed bullet put coyote number 13 of the hunt, and last dog of the year, on the ground. Bubba and I teamed up to kill 56 coyotes this year. He was in on all but one of the kills.

IMG_0084.jpg

Last coyote of the 2008-2009 Season. What a beautiful coyote to end the year on.

To wrap the season up, I have a few comments on the .204. I’ve been shooting 35 grain Berger's at 3875 fps for 3 years. The first two years they almost always dropped them in their tracks, very few bullets exiting and doing massive internal damage. I was very happy with the performance. I ran out of bullets early in the season and had to buy new stock. For some reason, these bullets are almost always exiting, blowing pretty good sized (golf ball or bigger) holes and requiring way too much sewing. On top of that, coyotes are running 50-200 yards before dying. I’m going to do more testing this spring and summer. I had to buy powder along with new bullets and maybe velocities have changed with the new powder. I did have to re-sight the gun once discovering bullet impact had dropped 1 1/2 inches at 100 yards. I’m also going to contact Berger to see if they’ve changed anything with bullets, as the jackets appear to much harder than before.

The .204 is very finicky in the wind. We have lots of wind in Montana and I’ve quit taking straight on shots unless the coyote is real close, or a momentary lapse of judgment. :)

All in all, I like the caliber a lot but it’s no Swift! If I didn’t save the hides, the Swift would be all I shoot. And, the Swift doesn’t come in an AR15. I believe the AR15 is the ultimate predator gun, but that’s my opinion!

And finally, my favorite picture of the Wonder Dog, taken while waiting out a rain storm. He’s standing, asleep with his head on the kennel, not wanting to take the chance of getting in the kennel and have me going on a stand without him!

IMG_0272.jpg

Dang Mike that is a hunt to remeber for sure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif. I noticed the same thing with some seirra bullets for my 250 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif. I bought two boxes and loaded them up. My poi changed and had a few more exits with my second box of bullets. I would be interested in what berger says if you can get an info. Again thanks for all the great posts loaded with pictures and videos /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif. I love that picture with Bubba sleeping and with the bike loaded down /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif.

Mike again, thanks for the effort it takes to put this together and sharing. This season has been a real pleasure to "Hunt Through You" via the forum.
Give Bubba a nice big bone as he earned it!
Rick H...

Mike, are you ever going to breed bubba? You are making him a household name here at PM.
One of those bikes would be pretty handy around here too.

GREAT STORY, PICS AND MOVIES as always. Can't wait until next year.

gonzaga

Mike,
You are one hunting machine. That series of pics and stories were outstanding!!!! I felt like I was there setting beside you and bubba the whole trip. I have not seen 56 coyotes in my life here in Pennsylvania let alone shoot 56 in a year. WOW /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Mike, Great story! I can't wait to see your new pup in those pictures. Look forward to meeting up with you in a couple of weeks. again Very nice adventure. ;D

Back