45 LC in 454 Casull?

TimZ

Got a really good deal on a Taurus 454 Casull today that was only shot twice (I wonder why.....). Am I correct in that I can shoot the 45 LC for practice with it?

Sure you can! All day long!

You will get some build up in the chambers when firing the Colt loads that could make it a tad bit more difficult when loading Casulls afterwards, but it no biggie. If need be it comes out easy with bit of easy brushing.

I use 45 Colt loads in my .460 S&W. Sure makes it a lot more pleasant to shoot!

Yep. You will probably get a ring of crud in the cylinder, but you can do it.

Rusty-Will accuracy be up to par, due to the larger cylinder gap? What about powder spray?

I know Freedom Arms advises against it, and it will void their warranty. Is this due to premature erosion, or subpar accuracy, or what?

Quote:
Yep. You will probably get a ring of crud in the cylinder, but you can do it.

Rusty-Will accuracy be up to par, due to the larger cylinder gap? What about powder spray?

Ah, gee- I really don't know the answer to either of those questions.

I am kind of embarrassed to admit it, but even when I had a 4X scope mounted on it I really never found out how well it would shoot. It was really really hard to slowly squeeze that trigger slow enough when using a good rest. Not that it has a bad trigger because it has a good trigger all in all, but ah, ahem, I could not help but think what was going to happen when that thing went off. The recoil was not bad really (mine has the muzzle brake) but holy crap what a muzzle blast! It is dang near evil! Even loaded down a bit it still awful. Plug AND muffs are the word here.

And if you want to keep your friends as friends, do not let them stand within 20' (50' is much better) of either side of you when shooting this thing. It even worse to those on the sidelines.

I shoot 44SP's in my 44M's and 38SP's in my 357M's and all I do is run a brush through the cylinder from time to time and it's OK. Can't help but believe 45LC's in the 454 would be just fine.

You can shoot 45lc in the 454. The difference is that 454 cases use a rifle primer and the lc uses a pistol. So you won't get as good of a powder burn. The difference in length is very minimal. I beleive it is only .02 case length. I have been shooting 45'sin my tarus for years. You will need to clean the cylinder a little more often.

I have a Freedom Arms and although it works fine, the LC will leave a ring in the cylinder that has to be cleaned out for the 454 case to work smooth. Freedom advises against it because they would rather sell you a new fitted LC cylinder.

Sorry Eddie. Not what I meant. No idea why I said "cylinder gap". It is obviously the same size. I meant due to the longer distance the bullet has to travel before entering the forcing cone.....

Quote:
2muchgun, how would the cylinder gap be different when using 45 Colt in the 454 Casull cylinder?

I was waiting for someone to ask that question. Cylinder gap is measured between the end of the cylinder and the start of the barrel. The GAP between the end of the cartridge and the barrel is not really revelant since it is still considered to be in the chamber.

If you handload, you can use IMR TrailBoss powder in the 454 cases and get some very mild target loads. That way you don't have the cleaning problems associated with using the shorter 45 LC in the 454 chambers.

Quote:

but holy crap what a muzzle blast! It is dang near evil! Even loaded down a bit it still awful. Plug AND muffs are the word here.

You've gotta try the .500 Smith & Wesson. My son got a four inch to use as a sleeping companion on an Alaska hunt. Touching off a 500 gr. factory load is a real experience.

Yes you can shoot 45LC's but I would just reduce my 454 loads because of the ring development.

I think the recoil of the 454 in the Taurus is a lot more manageable then shooting a Blackhawk or Redhawk 44 Mag. In the Redhawk the 454 isn't even fun to shoot !

Back