H & R Ultra Varmint Thumbhole Stock Rifle

cmj76

Just wondering if anyone has ever shot one of these? Looking to buy one and want some opinions and What would be the best for coyotes a 223, 22 250, or a 243 ? Thank You

Last edited:
i have the Ultra with the black syntetic bench stock. I got mine in .204 and the thing is a tack driver. I would have no problems giving any of the calibers you mention a whirl all will KILL.

My buddy has one...in 223. Good shooter. I'd go with the .223 for cost unless you're shooting out pass 250yds or so often. Then I'd get the 22-250. The 243 will cost the most to shoot but will fill in for deer too. Of course many have taken deer with the 22-250.

I have the Ultra Varmint Fluted In .223 it has a black Choate type stock on it. For the most part I like it. It will Shoot 1 1/2 groups now that I did a little forearm work. I think for a Varmint rifle it is fine. But if You want a predator rifle I would look at a bolt action. There is a difference between varmint and predator rifles!!! Most companies try to sell a varmint rifle as both.

I had one for a bit in .223. It shot very well with 55gr vmax. I had to do no tuning to the gun at all to get sub moa groups.

Quote:
I had one for a bit in .223. It shot very well with 55gr vmax. I had to do no tuning to the gun at all to get sub moa groups.

Like the link shows above, home trigger job and floating the forend put my 223 Ultra Fluted Varmint under and inch at 150yards from a gun vice.

I have a handful of the Handis, I love them all, so far Ive been really lucky to not have one with problems, all shoot well enough for me, I am not a bench rest shooter, and dont often shoot for groups but my .308 and .223 do a very nice job, havent gotten around to grouping my .44mag yet, but so far so good.

I think you will enjoy it, go to the above mentioned link and read all that you can, lots of good tips and info, and any question you may have will get answered in no time.

Good luck

Dave

Back