Anyone try a .243 WSSM upper yet?

philspicture304.jpg

I shoot a Detch upper in a 243wssm. I love to shoot 70gr Nosler BT. One of the places I hunt is lead free, these catts were shot with the barnes Varment gernade they dont shoot to good. At close range they get the job done.

I also have a Dtech that shoots great, hits hard and is fairly consisitent as to where it tosses the brass. Lost a few cases in the field but usually able to find them with a little effort.

Regards,
hm

I put an OLY on mine, 24" CS heavy barrel 10 twist shoots great but it is heavy. I looked into getting it flutted but was told the CS is to hard and wears out bits to fast. It was suggested I go with a SUm barrel but I am a firm believer in the consept of "If it ain't broke, don't futch with it!" I can hump this ten pound rifle all day if I need to anyway, the DRT's at almost unreal ranges is worth it! Good thing I handload though it is expensive to shoot.

I lose about half of my brass when calling. I dont like to spend to much tim looking. As for an a justment on a gass port my weapon does not have one.

Guys with the Dtech rifles, What is the delivery times like? Are the rifles chambered with a short throat for the go fast bullets? I would think the adjustable gas port would be a benefit to this arangement as the pressure differences are dramatic between it and the .223.

Quote:
I lose about half of my brass when calling. I dont like to spend to much tim looking. As for an a justment on a gass port my weapon does not have one.

All you need is $1.50 minnow net and some kind of camo tape.
I never lose any brass in the feild unless I wear hole in my net then for a $1.50 I buy a new one. Don't like white spray paint it black. Here is a pic of mine looks kid of goffy but I dont lose any exspensive brass.

Mike

Picture140.jpg

Quote:

I never lose any brass in the feild unless I wear hole in my net then for a $1.50 I buy a new one. Don't like white spray paint it black. Here is a pic of mine looks kid of goffy but I dont lose any exspensive brass.

Mike

Picture140.jpg

GREAT idea!
(side note)Is your one pc. mount backwards?

Mike is awesome at his trade and everyone raves about his guns. The only complaints are usually centered around scope mounting problems, not gun problems of any kind. In fact, I don't think I have ever read a legitimate complaint on the gun or upper build!!!

I have two full guns on order now since I found lowers before the panic.

The timeline for these has been 5 months already. He has 80 more guns or uppers to build before mine which may be another 6 months. I really need it by August and he said he could get it done. That would be 10 months for a very anxious pair of hunters.

Plan accordingly!! Great guns!!

I have no experience with this chambering!!! I was told from a bench rest guy that the 243wssm can be a bit tricky to load for. He claims that the pressure spikes really easily with this cartridge. He refers to it as a hand grenade. This guy has given me some not so useful advise in the past regarding Varget powder. Do you think that this advise is along those same lines? He said to stay away from it unless you want to blow your rifle up!! Remember, his words. Not mine!! I would really like to have an ar chambered for the 243wssm. I love the 6mm chamberings and intend to own most all of them before my time is done! Whats your thoughts on this? Lee

Lee the grenade thing is stretching things a bit. However, the spiking thing is accurate. You really need to pay attention to the reloading part and find something that will work, pretty easy to do actually. I spiked a load once and broke an extractor, not to big a deal especially if you consider the many hundreds of rounds I have reloaded and sent thru my 243WSSM upper and the thing still shoots amazing groups. Not a Dtech upper, just the run of the mill 20" Oly thang. I think the WSSM line is the best thing to come along for the AR15 platform. They feed and function perfectly, extremely accurate, and kill shtuff waaaay out there.

Hey Fred,

Those one piece mounts are made that way to allow for proper eye relief on a variety of scopes. Looks funny but that may be the way he needs it for that scope and his cheek weld /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Quote:
Quote:

Mike

Picture140.jpg

GREAT idea!
(side note)Is your one pc. mount backwards?

No it's a Bushmaster one Peace mount. It has a pin that locks into the Pictany rail. If I put it on the other way the pin does not set in the groves on the rail. It actually sets up perfect for me and have never had any problems with it.

Mike88605

I love the brass catcher. Only problem is I am Left handed. I will try and make one that works.

Skeetlee About a 243 being a hand gernade? I dont think so, When reloading follow the reloading guides and wor from the bottem up.

OK, Just got off the phone with Mike. Looks like I will be going with the fluted shilen barrel and custom twist and chamber. He says approximately 5 Months lead time. I had to wait over two year for my last custom upper, so I will be extatic if it is only 5 months. Here is a pic of my last cust AR upper;
100_1113w.jpg

Back