Encore Pro Hunter?

kmeyer

Anyone hunting with one of these? I have 2 of the original Contenders and am thinking of picking up one of these for Coyotes and target shooting. Probably in 223, but considering 22-250 or a 204. Over the winter I got into reloading and will do so for whatever I get.

Good gun. I think the only difference between the pro hunter and the regular eis the swing hammer. Save your self 60.00 to 80.00 bucks and buy the regular one and put a side hammer extention on it for 5.00 bucks! I have one of each and did not really care for the swing hammer so I put it back strait and bought a extention for it also. Other than that they shoot fine. Good Luck.

Thanks guys! Unless I am mistaken, I thought the pro has the fluted barrel and the fancy built in recoil pad. Not that a recoil pad is really need with a varmint caliber.

204 @ 300+ yds
IMG_1717-1.jpg

Prohunter and Regular encore barrels are interchangable. I have the encore and after seeing the improvements in the Prohunter, I'd keep my Encore. I already put a Limbsaver on it, I do not like the swing hammer feature cause my friends shoot rifles right handed so the hammer spur is better. Also if you even consider wanting to try it as a pistol you will want to buy it as a pistol from the factory. You can not legally put pistol stuff on it if it came from the factoy as a rifle.

t/c223encore.

I really like the Encore rifles. I have a few actions, and a bunch of barrels. If you have not bought anything yet then here is how I would go about buying an Encore.

The Pro Hunter is nice, but IMO it is overpriced.

The first problem with most Encore's is the trigger. Every one I have ever seen needed a good trigger job.

The first thing to do is to have a competent gunsmith order you just the frame. And have him do the trigger job when he orders the frame. This will save you a lot of indirect costs, such as shipping. And a gunsmith can get a good deal on an action(if he wants to).

By doing it this way you have the ability to order the type of stock you want. So now you can pick your stock. Personally I like the Left handed thumbhole stock, however you can choose what you like. Then buy a matching fore end.

Next is your barrel. And you are not locked in to a factory choice barrel. You can order a custom barrel. And there are many advantages to a custom barrel.

You can select cartridge, barrel length, barrel contour, barrel finish, type of chambering(match or standard), type of crown, porting, or muzzle brake, and open sights. The choices are endless. You can choose whatever can be done to a barrel.

Now you have an acton with a perfect trigger, the actual stock that you want, and a custom barrel that should shoot better than a factory barrel, and the barrel will be the exact way you want it.

Now the best part. If you shop a bit, and do your homework you will be able to do all this for the same price as buying an off the shelf Pro Hunter. Tom.

Mine needed no trigger job, no nothing at all. It's right out of the box, scoped, bipod and accurate. Getting a trigger job you don't need or a custom barrel for that matter is a waste of money. Get the gun first, then take it in for a trigger job/get a custom barrel if you decide it needs one. Yes some Encores have thier problems but you don't know if the one you get will have any. This is just my opinion and what I did.

t/c223encore.

Quote:
Mine needed no trigger job, no nothing at all. It's right out of the box, scoped, bipod and accurate. Getting a trigger job you don't need or a custom barrel for that matter is a waste of money. Get the gun first, then take it in for a trigger job/get a custom barrel if you decide it needs one. Yes some Encores have thier problems but you don't know if the one you get will have any. This is just my opinion and what I did.

t/c223encore.

Not for the sake of an argument. But please explain to me how a custom barrel is a waste of money when you can put the entire rig together for the same price as a Pro hunter?? I am not following your logic?? And are you saying that the factory barrel will shoot as well as an MGM custom barrel, with a match chamber?? I certainly think not?? And being able to choose exactly what you want is a waste of money?? How do you figure that??

As far as the trigger is concerned. Well I have only handled about 100 different Encore's. So I may not know too much about them. However I have never seen one with a 1-1/2#----2-1/2# trigger pull with zero creep and zero travel. I am glad you got one from the factory like that. But it would truly be the first one I ever seen. Just my opinion. Tom.

Back